BBC bias

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's become a complete and utter parody. The Musselburgh episode had folk in one of my whatsapp groups, mainly full of actual Musselburgh residents, constantly pinging away with folk asking if anyone else recognised anyone in the audience, and funnily enough, not one single person did.

Wonder if they'll go back to Dundee and have another 'representative' audience that is 50% Tory, 30% Labour, 10% Britain First, and 10% SNP?

Same with the Inverness one. A bigger place than Musselburgh obviously but there was barely an Inverness accent, it was all posh farmers and folk from the Home Counties. 

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Same with the Inverness one. A bigger place than Musselburgh obviously but there was barely an Inverness accent, it was all posh farmers and folk from the Home Counties. 

To be fair, that is becoming the predominant accent among 'locals' in many of the more far-flung Scottish communities. North Berwick is hardly far-flung, but the last time I was there back around Easter every single person down at the marina was chatting away in a Home Counties accent. You'd have thought you were in some Kent seaside town.

Mrs had an episode of 'cruising with Jane McDonald' on the other day. Somewhere in the Hebrides. She gets off the boat to go an learn how to make traditional haggis. Lassie teaching her? Yep, some hippy-dippy type in harem pants with a Home Counties accent. 'Lets go meet my pal' she says, so they jump on her bike and cycle down the road to meet her pal, who... yup, 'we sold up in London and moved here.... blah blah.

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I have a little daft bet with my family every time you see a story on BBC Scotland involving anywhere north of Perth you’re guaranteed you won’t hear a Scottish accent 

Especially when it comes to politics 

25 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I have a little daft bet with my family every time you see a story on BBC Scotland involving anywhere north of Perth you’re guaranteed you won’t hear a Scottish accent 

Same. It's a running joke between me and the girlfriend. 

39 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

To be fair, that is becoming the predominant accent among 'locals' in many of the more far-flung Scottish communities. North Berwick is hardly far-flung, but the last time I was there back around Easter every single person down at the marina was chatting away in a Home Counties accent. You'd have thought you were in some Kent seaside town.

Mrs had an episode of 'cruising with Jane McDonald' on the other day. Somewhere in the Hebrides. She gets off the boat to go an learn how to make traditional haggis. Lassie teaching her? Yep, some hippy-dippy type in harem pants with a Home Counties accent. 'Lets go meet my pal' she says, so they jump on her bike and cycle down the road to meet her pal, who... yup, 'we sold up in London and moved here.... blah blah.

This has boiled my piss for a considerable time to the extent that I think that there is a conscious bias from BBC management to seek out these types, the most charitable reason I can think of being that, Heaven forbid, some viewers may find the local accent 'difficult'.

But it's actually worse than that, it's political colonisation by stealth.  Whilst there may be 800k Scots in England, the 500k English in Scotland is a much more significant bloc.  And yes, I well realise that a sizeable minority amongst that number actively support independence but the vast majority come laden with British Nationalist sentiment.

And don't FFS mention the Antiques Roadshow.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I certainly have that the BBC seem to exist in a world where there are no typical children of working class parents. 

Need to run a piece on education and how it affects schools? Sure, but it's invariably from some leading comprehensive in a well-to-do suburb somewhere, and the children interviewed are spotless Boden-clad Sophie and Ollie types, with perfect enunciation and a talent for woodwind instruments. 

It's totally unrepresentative of reality, but it's crushingly 'BBC' at the same time. They seem to think those sorts of people and their children are 95% of the general population. It's almost as if they can't bring themselves to actually acknowledge crushing poverty, deprivation, the fact so many children in comprehensive systems come from broken homes, are underfed and hungry, poorly and inadequately equipped and clothed, etc. It's like they imagine that showing a realistic picture would somehow destroy the morale and stiff upper-lippery of the great old BBC viewing British public. I find it totally discordant.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Same but especially in Edinburgh. You'll rarely hear a proper Edinburgh accent on a vox pop from there.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Just listened to the Scottish news and it was folks from Inverness being interviewed.  Every single person on the program was anti-tory and not a home counties accent to be heard.  Obviously biased against the Conservatives. 🤨

I saw that as well and was astonished at seeing such an outlier.  The reason was probably that the reporter mistakenly took a vox pop at a location which is very much frequented by native Invernessians.

I doubt we'll see the like again anytime soon.  Or the reporter.

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's actually quite refreshing to listen to Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Shop on Radio 4 and hear the fat b*****d call Tories b*****ds in a shouty Scouse accent

I caught that tonight as I was making the tea. Loved the Cressida Dick skit...........

Which thread to put this in....

Just watched a Politics Live on BBC2 and saw the two Conservatives (one MP, one SPAD) on the panel get away with the claim that the Jeremy Hunt reset puts the Conservatives at the centre of British politics unchallenged.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Poor Chris Mason, there's various degrees of hair craft and he seems like an architect but I fear he's heading for the Andrew Neil level of ritual  

chrismason.jpg

They have a conveyor belt of ugly b*****ds as their political editors 

Was going to say where do they get them from but oxbridge is the answer 

Nice to hear Today finish with Tory peer Nicky Morgan and James Heal an editor at the Spectator cheer leading the new boss and how the Tories can finally get on with true conservative governance and how the big guns like Gove and Patel should be welcomed into the cabinet......FFS it was all these c***s that have made the UK the basket case of world politics. Do the BBC ever hold them to account?

sometimes hard to comprehend that this was less than a month ago - BBC narrative that the SNP under huge pressure to follow the disasterous tax-cutting budget....I really hope that some of the greedy and selfish tory twats did make plans to move to England