BBC bias

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

There's nothing I can disagree with there i'm just pointing out that the "spears to ploughshares" rhetoric is ridiculous. On the issue of BAE clearly a Corbyn government would impose harsher export licensing which would affect them negatively in line with the 2016 Thornberry motion on Yemen.

The original complaint was ridiculous, and not a little hypocritical. Such is the nature of modern politics.

16 hours ago, Jambo99 said:

So what would and Independent Scotland do?

Are we never going to make anything that can be used for military purpose?

There was some talk at Scot Gov level that the Holy Loch nuclear base will be converted into a normal Scottish naval base under Independance.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Did the SNP campaign to save Leuchars or somewhere else months before it was used for flyover missions to Libya? Seen someone mentioning this on Twitter.

As I recall .the save Leuchers campaign and petition was  led by the Lib Dems spearheaded by the local MP Menzies Campbell and the Lib Dem MSP, the RAF did pull out and it now is home to an Army Field Regiment.

The SNP did lead a campaign to save Kinloss and Lossiemouth air bases, both in Moray, Lossiemouth was saved and is a Typhoon fighter airfield but the RAF pulled out of Kinloss and it  is now home to an army engineering regiment. 

Middle East and North African air strikes are mostly conducted from  RAF bases in Cyprus which the Americans have access to and use them and in the UK, in fact the American air force has bases and full access to 22 RAF airfields in England, the last American active military base in Scotland, other than the Holy Loch, was Macrahanish Kintyre which has the second longest runway in Europe, back in the seventies air borne nuclear type missiles were stored there, interestingly Macrihanish was one of the bases outside the US where the Stealth bomber was tested prior to active service.  

Edited by SandyCromarty
addition

7 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

As I recall .the save Leuchers campaign and petition was  led by the Lib Dems spearheaded by the local MP Menzies Campbell and the Lib Dem MSP, the RAF did pull out and it now is home to an Army Field Regiment.

The SNP did lead a campaign to save Kinloss and Lossiemouth air bases, both in Moray, Lossiemouth was saved and is a Typhoon fighter airfield but the RAF pulled out of Kinloss and it  is now home to an army engineering regiment. 

What a shower the Liberals are.

Menzies was campaigning for Leuchars and Charlie for the north bases.

They are very far from being a serious party.

11 hours ago, sophia said:

What a shower the Liberals are.

Menzies was campaigning for Leuchars and Charlie for the north bases.

They are very far from being a serious party.

The glory days of the Liberal party are well in the past, well over 100 years ago and now they survive on west country, north scotland and protest votes. 

What does annoy me is that they have only 12 MP'S and yet 98 peer's in that unelected archaic House of Lords, the UK must be the only country in the world that has a second voting house populated by political appointees, hereditary peers and bishops, a ridiculous state of affairs in every sense.

I did like Charlie Kennedy though, problem was for him personally was that he would never have been out of place in the Fluke on a Friday Karaoke night. 

The glory days of the Liberal party are well in the past, well over 100 years ago and now they survive on west country, north scotland and protest votes. 
What does annoy me is that they have only 12 MP'S and yet 98 peer's in that unelected archaic House of Lords, the UK must be the only country in the world that has a second voting house populated by political appointees, hereditary peers and bishops, a ridiculous state of affairs in every sense.
I did like Charlie Kennedy though, problem was for him personally was that he would never have been out of place in the Fluke on a Friday Karaoke night. 

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there re the Liberals.
The point about the house of Lords too, i think its a great idea to have a second chamber, but filling it with political donors, landed gentry and sky fairy botherers is unacceptable. Each constituency should elect an MP and a member of the second chamber, maybe a senator or whatever it should be titled. It should be encouraged that the candidate for this seat is someone say over the age of 45 with experience in business, academia, legal profession etc but not compulsory (I believe the academia/legal aspect would be beneficial for scrutiny of legislation) as perhaps they could instruct the services of these professions for advice etc also. Regardless there is scope for an effective second chamber which in line with the numbers in the Commons could be a good thing.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there re the Liberals.
The point about the house of Lords too, i think its a great idea to have a second chamber, but filling it with political donors, landed gentry and sky fairy botherers is unacceptable. Each constituency should elect an MP and a member of the second chamber, maybe a senator or whatever it should be titled. It should be encouraged that the candidate for this seat is someone say over the age of 45 with experience in business, academia, legal profession etc but not compulsory (I believe the academia/legal aspect would be beneficial for scrutiny of legislation) as perhaps they could instruct the services of these professions for advice etc also. Regardless there is scope for an effective second chamber which in line with the numbers in the Commons could be a good thing.

Decent post.

The US elects two senators per state to provide balance, Congress is a rolling political base in that Senators for instance are elected on a staggered basis so that unlike our Parliaments that shut down completely for an election the US system mantains that Senators are elected every two years for a six year term so every two years a third of the senate is up for election so that the government continues.

Obviously I would like to see the H.O.L. abolished and replaced with a Senator type system comprised with members as outlined by Carbon Rod, there are 103 Counties in England, Scotland and Wales so one Senator from each county would be far less than the over 600 arseholes there in the H.O.L. and far less expensive.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Obviously I would like to see the H.O.L. abolished and replaced with a Senator type system comprised with members as outlined by Carbon Rod, there are 103 Counties in England, Scotland and Wales so one Senator from each county would be far less than the over 600 arseholes there in the H.O.L. and far less expensive.

You have missed the problem with the US Senate where Alaska gets the same number of Senators as California.

I'd like to see a second chamber where regional interests were more emphasised though, like Germany. And minority voices in constituencies that add up to a lot nationally. Unfortunately the latter would let UKIP in, but democracy is messy.

Zero chance of any meaningful constitutional reform unless we get independence lads.

The Tories will go all in to oppose any change, while Labour and the Lib Dem dafties have promised much but delivered little. (Excluding Holyrood)

37 minutes ago, Detournement said:

You have missed the problem with the US Senate where Alaska gets the same number of Senators as California.

Thats less a problem and more a feature really. Helps emphasis individual state rights to balance a congress divided up on a demographic nature.

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

...and the disgraceful situation at the UN where Tuvalu has the same number of seats as India. 

However, let's just gloss over similar situations in the UK, shall we? Figures based on 2017 boundaries. 

Na h-Eileanan an Iar - 1 MP for a population of 21,769

Isle of Wight - 1 MP for a population of 110,679

Alternatively

Ross, Skye and Lochaber - 1MP for a land area of ~12,000,000 hectares

Islington North - 1 MP for a land area of 727 hectares

I'm sure you feel these numbers are just fine.

Finally, if you're so concerned about a link between the electorate & the number of representatives, why not look at abolishing the House of Lords? That's been a Labour priority for over 100 years

s-l1600.jpg

JC is on it

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/23/all-future-labour-peers-must-back-abolition-of-lords-says-corbyn

Constituency size should be based on population (not voters) but obviously there needs to be exceptions. I think the current set up is fine. The next changes will be interesting as I expect the census will show a big increase in city populations.