BBC bias

Wee Willie tying himself up in knots again by claiming to be a "democrat" whilst at the same time implying he wouldn't  accept the democratic right of the country to see a second independence referendum should pro-indy parties receive a majority. He says he refuses to discuss "hypothetical" questions and situations such as a pro-indy majority and then in the next breath talks about the hypothetical situation of the LibDems getting more seats to push forward with their recovery plans. 

As with DRoss, Kaye Adams surprises me by calling him out on it and saying it sounds like he only believes in democracy if it his view of democracy. A far more stronger blow delivered (which resulted in Wee Willie starting off his rebuttal with a "but, but, but.....) than anything landed on Willie earlier on GMS....

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

Wee Willie tying himself up in knots again by claiming to be a "democrat" whilst at the same time implying he wouldn't  accept the democratic right of the country to see a second independence referendum should pro-indy parties receive a majority. He says he refuses to discuss "hypothetical" questions and situations such as a pro-indy majority and then in the next breath talks about the hypothetical situation of the LibDems getting more seats to push forward with their recovery plans. 

As with DRoss, Kaye Adams surprises me by calling him out on it and saying it sounds like he only believes in democracy if it his view of democracy. A far more stronger blow delivered (which resulted in Wee Willie starting off his rebuttal with a "but, but, but.....) than anything landed on Willie earlier on GMS....

I listened to him earlier on GMS but gave up on him on Adams.

Willie is all over the place with his politics, mental health is his main priority but at times it seems his only mission, answering questions he shoots off on tangents totally unrelated as if he has lost the plot, he gives stats then shoots on to another line.

18 minutes ago, Pato said:

It's from this article which oddly neglects to mention neoclassical economics is widely discredited nonsense.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56906507

It's really not though. 

Neoliberal maybe, but not neoclassical. 

Many practicing mainstream economists would argue against the relevance and benefit of those concepts, never mind policies. 

Edited by coprolite

1 hour ago, Pato said:

I'm maybe getting my terminologies mixed up but I thought neoclassical economics was the idea everyone is 100% rational in how they spend their money and this is what shapes the economy?

I don't think you are getting your terminologies mixed up if that's the case, but then i don't see how those Tory policies reflect neoclassical econ.

Rational expectations is a central assumption that a standard vanilla model works on. But models can be tweaked to work with animal spirits, some types of Irrational behaviour (eg higher demand resulting from higher price on some goods) to make them better reflect reality. If the naths is doing a bad job at predicting part of a model, you can just bolt on some real world stats and do some bayesian stuff if that works better. 

That approach isn't ideal and there are a number of strong critiques going about as to how it doesn't really reflect the real world. It's far from totally discredited though. That's like saying that quantum mechanics has totally discredited Newton's theory of gravity. I mean technically it's not exactly how things work but it will give you a useful answer 99 times out of 100.

There's nothing in that framework that recognises the concept of "wealth creator" or a level of tax that the public purse can bear. That's right wing plutocrat ideology that the bbc has chosen to present as reality. 

53 minutes ago, Pato said:

Do I mean classical then? Basic idea I'm trying to communicate is tories believe it's fine for lots of money to go to a small number of people and we tend now not to think that's a good idea because they don't spend it on stimulating the economy to a similar degree.

Probably the "trickle down" that was a feature of Milton Friedman's monetarism, much beloved of the Grantham Witch?

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Probably the "trickle down" that was a feature of Milton Friedman's monetarism, much beloved of the Grantham Witch?

I heard a comedian talking about trickle down economics being like someone with 10 dogs giving just one dog 10 sausages and thinking "it'll be ok, he'll share". 🤔

And further down the can it goes: (from the Graun’s live feed)

Former Tory No 10 communications chief appointed to BBC's board

Sir Robbie Gibb, a former communications director at No 10 under Theresa May, has been appointed to the BBC’s board, PA Media reports. PA says:

It is understood that Gibb who had a 25-year career at the BBC before spending two years in Downing Street under the Conservative prime minister, was appointed by the government.

The BBC reported that he will start as the board member for England on 7 May.

Since leaving frontline politics, Gibb has written articles criticising the broadcaster.

“The BBC has been culturally captured by the woke-dominated group think of some of its own staff,” he wrote in the Telegraph last year.

“There is a default Left-leaning attitude from a metropolitan workforce mostly drawn from a similar social and economic background.”

As the Telegraph’s Ben Riley-Smith reports,Gibb told the Telegraph that he thinks the BBC has a “big job” ahead restoring its reputation for impartiality.

Oh well played BBC website editor & picture editor.

image.png.d8b16249e15daa7e4b34b8917e3bd904.png

Mr Ross, a football referee, said he had joined the social media boycott until Monday.

"This campaign has united the football and the wider sports community," he said.

Is it bias or just stupidity but to pick one result: Aberdeenshire East

"Voting showed a swing of 6.1% from SNP to the Conservatives"

Then you click on the result which shows the difference between vote share from the last time

SNP vote share down 1%. Tories up 13% but Lib Dems and Labour down 11%. So if anything there's been a big swing of Unionist votes from Labour and Lib Dems to the Tories rather than from SNP to Tories 

Then you click on the result which shows the difference between vote share from the last time
SNP vote share down 1%. Tories up 13% but Lib Dems and Labour down 11%. So if anything there's been a big swing of Unionist votes from Labour and Lib Dems to the Tories rather than from SNP to Tories 
They kept doing that last night too. Swing SNP to Con, 6.5%. Except the SNP share was up, the Conservative vote was increased by Labour and Lib Dem tactical voting.

On 08/05/2021 at 12:33, tamthebam said:

There's no bias, in each constiuency they do a simple calculation which is the change in percentage share of the vote from this election to the last election. They then look at the relative difference between the parties and divide it by two. So for Aberdeenshire East. I aklway think it's a relatively meaningless measure unless both votes have moved significantly.

% % %  
  2021 2016 Change  
SNP 44.63 45.79 -1.16  
Tory 40.02 28.99 11.03  

Swing 0.5 x (11.03-(-1.16)) = 6.10%
  SNP to the Tories