5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

That article makes her sound like a total arsehole tbh

everything i've read and seen about her would suggest she was an arsehole

36 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

can't quite see the slant here. Surely the "sensationalism" consistently remains focused on the bottom placed country in comparison to the others? 

The edited headline is fine and the most appropriate. The criticism here is the reflex to address the rest of the UK as England, or to forget about Scotland and NI altogether.

There's also the option to lead with a positive story of Scotland and NI leading UK vaccine rollout but I think it's fair to say we will not see this kind of headline from the BBC. Someone being worse than England at something is more on piste.

Edited by GiGi

Her Twitter account highlights just how much of an arsehole she was.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The New York Times article on her makes her sound even worse, her husbands ex had to get a protection order after she read-ended her car on a motorway.

https://nyti.ms/3s5ayQQ

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

The edited headline is fine and the most appropriate. The criticism here is the reflex to address the rest of the UK as England, or to forget about Scotland and NI altogether.

There's also the option to lead with a positive story of Scotland and NI leading UK vaccine rollout but I think it's fair to say we will not see this kind of headline from the BBC. Someone being worse than England at something is more on piste.

Or to question whether there's an article on the England page of the website saying that England is trailing Scotland and Northern Ireland. (I'll save you looking: there isn't).

I'm willing to bet that if these numbers were to shift so Scotland was trailing, we'd see some coverage of that.

On 06/01/2021 at 20:26, Dunning1874 said:

Oh, Laura.

SCUFFLES

I hope you guys did some stretching before that reach.

Feed those biases.

The main source called it scuffles, the video contained scuffles, she has reported what it was. 

What even is the accusation of bias here? Do you guys think Laura. K has biases towards Donald Trump? It is part of some insider plot to downplay the trouble to help her mate Donald? 

16 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I hope you guys did some stretching before that reach.

Feed those biases.

The main source called it scuffles, the video contained scuffles, she has reported what it was. 

What even is the accusation of bias here? Do you guys think Laura. K has biases towards Donald Trump? It is part of some insider plot to downplay the trouble to help her mate Donald? 

If you read Nick Bryant's tweet, do you think her comment adds or subtracts from our understanding of the extraordinary nature of the events?

It reads to me like "I'd like to be involved in this but have nothing to add". As I said on another thread it's extremely funny to me that she can call someone walking into an outstretched hand by accident as a punch, and a policeman being beaten to death with a fire extinguisher as a scuffle.

18 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

If you read Nick Bryant's tweet, do you think her comment adds or subtracts from our understanding of the extraordinary nature of the events?

It reads to me like "I'd like to be involved in this but have nothing to add". As I said on another thread it's extremely funny to me that she can call someone walking into an outstretched hand by accident as a punch, and a policeman being beaten to death with a fire extinguisher as a scuffle.

Aye I don't think she particularly adds anything, nor should she, she's merely reposting someone elses content and described accurately what the video contains. 

Did a policeman get beaten to death in that video? Did you see anything more than a scuffle. 

I ask again, what particular bias is being displayed here or is this just saying she has shit tweets? 

2 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Aye I don't think she particularly adds anything, nor should she, she's merely reposting someone elses content and described accurately what the video contains. 

Did a policeman get beaten to death in that video? Did you see anything more than a scuffle. 

I ask again, what particular bias is being displayed here or is this just saying she has shit tweets? 

No bias, just an inability to stfu if she has nothing of value to add. A crowd of far right militants was forcing its way into the Capitol on the day of the certification of the electoral college votes to do harm to the people inside, on no planet is 'scuffles' an adequate depiction of what was going on.

It's like calling Israeli sniper shooting Palestinian teenagers armed with stones as 'border clashes'

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

No bias, just an inability to stfu if she has nothing of value to add. A crowd of far right militants was forcing its way into the Capitol on the day of the certification of the electoral college votes to do harm to the people inside, on no planet is 'scuffles' an adequate depiction of what was going on.

It's like calling Israeli sniper shooting Palestinian teenagers armed with stones as 'border clashes'

Are you new to the internet? 

We'll disagree on the usage of the word scuffles. If that was the main take away from the tweet than I'm surprised this thread isn't filled with hundreds of other journalists, ones with more relevance to the issue, posting similarly poor takes with the word "scuffle". 

(I'm not surprised) 

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

Are you new to the internet? 

We'll disagree on the usage of the word scuffles. If that was the main take away from the tweet than I'm surprised this thread isn't filled with hundreds of other journalists, ones with more relevance to the issue, posting similarly poor takes with the word "scuffle". 

(I'm not surprised) 

Post stuff you find in the pundits thread for non BBC. I know it's tempting to depict this as a misogyny issue rather than a political editor being in adequate command of appropriate vocabulary, but it really is the latter. 

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

just an inability to stfu if she has nothing of value to add.

I thought that was Twitter's entire raison d'etre.

10 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

q3c2givdsaa61.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?

That's appalling

I just came onto post this.

BBC: we can't change the weather map because it's what people expect the UK to look like

Also BBC: Check out these graphs

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

q3c2givdsaa61.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?

Diabolical they're getting away with this kind of shite 

It's not so bad when you hear what he's saying rather than just looking at a screenshot. I can understand them having different scales to fit them all in with different populations, but someone should have said it looks all wrong, just do them one at a time.