BBC bias

Funding for GB News.

Last week after a funding round led by investment bank Panmure Gordon, GB News revealed major new money from Legatum, a Dubai-based investment firm, and Sir Paul Marshall, a Brexiteer hedge fund manager and founder of the Right-leaning opinion site UnHerd. Legatum’s chairman Christopher Chandler, a New Zealand-born billionaire and international financier, invested heavily in Russia after the break-up of the Soviet Union and, with his brother Richard, had a stake in the Russian energy giant Gazprom. He is a partner of Legatum Group, a funder of the separate Legatum Institute, a Mayfair-based think tank which is dedicated to finding “pathways to prosperity” and was one of the most prominent advocates for a hard Brexit. The Institute’s former director of economic policy, Shanker Singham, became known as “the Brexiteers’ brain” due to his remarkable access to ministers, including Michael Gove. “Legatum became the Brexiteers’ think tank of choice and was constantly quoted,” says Peter Geoghegan, author of Democracy for Sale.  

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

There's hundreds, if not thousands, of free podcasts that give you, imo, greater insight into anything covered by In Our Time. And you don't even have to run the gauntlet of encountering a c**t like Tristram Hunt commenting on Engels.

Again, I'm sure there are, but i like in our time. Assuming i knew how to get podcasts in the first place, it seems unlikely that i'd be in the car and happen across one that was guaranteed to be at least interesting and intelligent. I'll quite often get interested in a topic that i'd never have searched for.

If commercial radio is interested in providing the same sort of content the bbc provides then surely these podcasts would have been snapped up by networks already? 

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

The last straw for me was when Salmond was giving a speech pre referendum. He was asked a question by Nick Robinson. On the 6pm news that night the same Nick Robinson said that Salmond declined to answer, yet social media showed that he clearly did.
Partizan state media. Pay them nothing

There was an pro-Palestine/anti-Israel  demonstration a few years back at top of Buchanan Street. Greens, SNP and Labour made speeches. I think the Labour guy was Anas Sarwar (need to check). BBC cameras were there. I caught the end of the SNP guy's speech (I was walking past), and he was followed up by Labour by way of an introduction. The boo-ing started and got louder as the Labour guy came on to such an extent that he couldn't give his speech and had to walk off after say, 15 seconds. I just happened to catch the BBC snippet covering the demo later that night and they showed the protestors and the voice over said that the demo had been addressed by representatives from the Greens, SNP and Labour....

I suppose it was accurate to a point (perhaps should have added "attempted address" for Labour) but for a news channel to be at the demo (I didn't see STV of any other camera) and not to factually report on what had happened, well, it was first hand witnessing of (BBC) bias reporting, albeit in a very small way. 

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

There was an pro-Palestine/anti-Israel  demonstration a few years back at top of Buchanan Street. Greens, SNP and Labour made speeches. I think the Labour guy was Anas Sarwar (need to check). BBC cameras were there. I caught the end of the SNP guy's speech (I was walking past), and he was followed up by Labour by way of an introduction. The boo-ing started and got louder as the Labour guy came on to such an extent that he couldn't give his speech and had to walk off after say, 15 seconds. I just happened to catch the BBC snippet covering the demo later that night and they showed the protestors and the voice over said that the demo had been addressed by representatives from the Greens, SNP and Labour....

I suppose it was accurate to a point (perhaps should have added "attempted address" for Labour) but for a news channel to be at the demo (I didn't see STV of any other camera) and not to factually report on what had happened, well, it was first hand witnessing of (BBC) bias reporting, albeit in a very small way. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2009/jan/27/media-bbc-gaza-appeal

28 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I'm not surprised, you have form for refusing to see what is right in front of you.  Multiple examples in this very thread.

Still a good lad though x

What are you seeing there that's upset you? To me the second headline looks more likely to annoy the government 

I'm sure there's plenty examples of actual bias you could use without resorting to celticcy levels of paranoia and stretch. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

What are you seeing there that's upset you? To me the second headline looks more likely to annoy the government 

I'm sure there's plenty examples of actual bias you could use without resorting to celticcy levels of paranoia and stretch. 

The headline, which everyone knows is what most people read and no more, is far more damaging to the government in the first version.

6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

The headline, which everyone knows is what most people read and no more, is far more damaging to the government in the first version.

The first version contains no clue that it is anyway brexit related or anything to do with the government, tax or the EU. The second does. 

Edited by coprolite
Just noticed it does say brexit, which i hadn't even seen before

14 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

A more pertinent question would be "Are they biased against Nicola and Salmond"

The simple answer is "Yes"

Aye but surely they prefer one of them? 

BBC isn't biased against either of them. 

Pure conspiracy theory stuff.

Just now, welshbairn said:

They're biased against Scottish Independence and they're delighted to see a civil war in the SNP.

As I'd hope most sensible British institutions were!

Don't see it though.