BBC bias

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Now if you really want to retain a BBC of some sort, your alternative is to have something paid for out of general expenditure which is a combination of direct tax, indirect tax as a result of economic stimulus from borrowing and other bits and pieces of income. That removes that immediate link that exists because of it being a bill to be paid. E.g. I'm fucking furious my taxes contributed to the cost of the bullets those soldiers shot into a picture of Jeremy Corbyn, and continues to pay for their salaries as none of them were kicked out, but I have no way to do anything about this except voting.

Now that's what you call State Broadcasting, total control.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

No, we don't want any public broadcasting related to news or politics. None at all.

Andrew Neil will be delighted, his new right wing news channel will make him a very rich man.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Andrew Neil will be delighted, his new right wing news channel will make him a very rich man.

Who cares? Is that a reason every citizen in the country should be forced to pay for his propaganda to be broadcast into their homes?  He just spent twenty years lying to us while being paid handsomely out of the public purse. At least we will have a choice whether to fund his new channel or not.

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

On which interest is paid by the tax payer and further borrowing ad infinitum. You're lapsing into pedantry here unless you really believe money is free now, and we can just print as much as we like with no consequences.

Money is cheaper than free now

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm frankly gobsmacked by the number of lefties here wanting to hand over UK public broadcasting to capitalist bogeymen like Jeff Bezos and Rupert Murdoch.

The BBC, as it exists currently, serves their interests anyway, so what’s the fucking difference?

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Guest TheJTS98

Take the BBC out of the news game in the UK and you'll end up with a CNN-ish channel and a Fox News-ish channel.

How's that working out?

Really surprising to me that people would see any value in this as an idea at all. It's being pushed purely by some extremely wealthy people who simply want to extend their influence over society. It's a deeply insidious move.

I find it amazing that people wouldn't see through that.

6 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

People arguing for the BBC to lose public funding are letting politics infect every area of life. That's not healthy.

What a pompous and smug statement to make from someone who can afford to take the BBC without considering the adverse political impact it has directly had on this country.

Edited by NotThePars

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It needs changing, not abolished.

I agree with you that it needs substantial changing, and I don’t necessarily want to get rid of it. I’m just not sure what the difference is between a state owned broadcaster which just pushes narratives that extremely wealthy people want, and one that the extremely wealthy people own to do the same.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

I'm being quite serious when I say left shitposters on twitter are a far better source of public interest news than the BBC.

Some are.

But that's also just a route to two sides in an echo chamber hearing nothing but things they want to believe.

I can enjoy reading things from people I agree with on Twitter. Not sure it's massively helpful to public discourse though.

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

What a pompous and smug statement to make from someone who can afford to take the BBC without considering the adverse political impact it has directly had on this country.

I'd argue that's quite a hysterical statement.

They do good recipes.

Also, the right has deeper pockets than the left. Make it all commercial and it gets worse.

Edited by TheJTS98

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

the other side is objectively wrong on every meaningful point of substance why would I want to voluntarily listen to them?

I don't share that view. I don't think either side is 'right' on every meaningful point of substance.

And, if you don't encounter the views you disagree with, then it's easy to just dismiss them all as bad faith actors or idiots. Which is not the case.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Given your reaction to red dots from specific posters I'm not sure you have your priorities right TBH! 

On topic, please.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

planet's dying my dude

It's a pretty bold claim to say that anyone who disagrees with you is definitely wrong on every meaningful issue.

I mean, it just is.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Channel 4 are already miles ahead of the BBC in terms of news content. And they don't need a license fee to do it.

Great. And what other public services does Channel Four provide compared to the BBC?

Just now, TheJTS98 said:

Great. And what other public services does Channel Four provide compared to the BBC?

I'll turn that round and say what public services do the BBC provide that are of such value that they require a license fee?