1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

You'll find out exactly what I mean in good time.

You wanna try and explain what you were going for? Certainly reads a bit dodgy... at 6am too..

11 minutes ago, Paco said:

Oh Laura. She just can’t help herself.

Bloody EU council, just move the dial! 

23 hours ago, Fullerene said:

They should care.  Nowadays Question Time is total crap because of the person who is in charge of it.  A big fan of Nigel Farage.

It would be a shame if more and more programs went the same way.

those who care probably consider the BBC is worth saving - for me that ship sailed a very long time ago. 

The BBC is getting worse and worse, following the Tory line all the way.

Reporting a ‘no trade deal’ Brexit rather than a ‘no deal Brexit’ is simply one small example.

Their news website is always far less objective than Sky both in content and prominence of stories.

It's also interesting that on the back of the poll yesterday the only article the BBC carried in their politics section was authored by John Curtice. Normally these things are reported and the analysis piece linked in. Strange approach to offer no BBC staffer report on what was, by any measure, a headline in Scottish politics. 

I heard this morning that there is to be another cull with Bill Whiteford and Isabel Fraser amongst those that are shortly going.

There's not all that much that they are leaving behind and for anyone that values the service that they bring, that must be a cause for regret.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Reporting a ‘no trade deal’ Brexit rather than a ‘no deal Brexit’ is simply one small example.

Ah that's nothing. I remember the good old days where it was referred to as a 'hard Brexit'. You can tell it's coming, as their reference to it has been getting weaker in tone as time has gone on.

I heard this morning that there is to be another cull with Bill Whiteford and Isabel Fraser amongst those that are shortly going.
There's not all that much that they are leaving behind and for anyone that values the service that they bring, that must be a cause for regret.
If so, two big losses - very strong and even handed journalists.

On 16/10/2020 at 13:28, coprolite said:

Bloody EU council, just move the dial! 

They should invite Boris to sit in this nice chair, plug it in, then turn the dial up to full power

On 17/10/2020 at 00:00, sophia said:

Just saying, don’t take as Gospel.

Possibly from the wrong side of Scotland?

21 hours ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Just saying, don’t take as Gospel.

Possibly from the wrong side of Scotland?

Given that Ken Macdonald is also taking the package, I rather think that your suggestion bears little in the way of substantive scrutiny.

It seems to me that you've had a run of ill fortune in this regard in the very recent past. I wish you better luck in future.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Given that Ken Macdonald is also taking the package, I rather think that your suggestion bears little in the way of substantive scrutiny.

It seems to me that you've had a run of ill fortune in this regard in the very recent past. I wish you better luck in future.

Aye right!

?🇬🇧

Gordon Brewer and Gillian Marles also taking a package.

Quite the exodus, mind you if I was able to get 2 years salary and I was nearing retirement I'd be tempted too.

Good bit of detail here, including the (intentional) disaster that is the Scottish channel:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newsnights-gordon-brewer-leads-exodus-at-bbc-scotland-3pmfzbh7d

Edited by MixuFruit

Quite the exodus, mind you if I was able to get 2 years salary and I was nearing retirement I'd be tempted too.
Good bit of detail here, including the (intentional) disaster that is the Scottish channel:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newsnights-gordon-brewer-leads-exodus-at-bbc-scotland-3pmfzbh7d
I quite like some of the stuff on the Scottish channel.

Is it generally regarded as a disaster?

And what effect will this exodus have? Politically more open to independence? Or more likely to do what their told by their London overlords?

24 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

And what effect will this exodus have? Politically more open to independence? Or more likely to do what their told by their London overlords?

Just by sources in that article, I have no opinion on its content myself. I think the idea for the channel instead of a 'Scottish Six' was that the latter would be an unacceptable juxtaposition of Scottish and UK policy differences in a place where it couldn't be ignored. The former could demonstrate there isn't an audience for Scottish content, presumably to dwindle away as support for independence did. A few years down the line they could say 'well we tried hard but it hasn't worked, we're pulling the money.' Covid unfortunately forced the BBC to effectively broadcast Scottish Government policy in a high profile slot which pushed support independence in the wrong direction, achieving the intended goal of the Scottish Six, despite Donalda MacKinnon's last gasp attempt to bounce the train into the intended rails. Quite poetic how it's worked out really.

I dunno about future. Presumably if these are redundancies it means the posts themselves are going so not wonderful for folks future prospects? If I'm wrong and they're going to promote a lot of young journalists into higher profile roles, then knowing what we do about the political leanings of people in Scotland under 40, it'll be a bigger stretch than it used to be if they still cover independence like a phase a teenager will grow out of.

I think the most interesting thing out of all this probably is the appointment of an Irish person as the new head of BBC Scotland. You have to assume this is a recognition of sorts that they felt they needed a neutral person at the helm for some reason.

Edited by MixuFruit

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The effect is with us already.

Drivetime today ...

7 (seven) minutes on someone called Dominic West kissing Lily James.

Perhaps John Beattie and his production team think this is acceptable.

Me, I'd have thought that there would be various service providers that can provide product that can speculate upon the private lives of celebrities and BBC Scotland would be best served by broadcasting something of at least some merit.

27 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It pisses me off majorly that they don't get space on iplayer. Nine for example is unavailable after broadcast, whereas Newsnight currently has 21 episodes available. I seriously think they've set it up to fail, despite some really good shows and a decent mix of highbrow and potentially popular, if anyone knew what was on. Having it so far down the listings into the shopping channels doesn't help.

Pointed out to me by Mrs. Nosejob and now I notice it every time on BBC News...

“The Labour Welsh Government”, “The Labour Manchester Mayor”, “The SNP Scottish Government/First Minister”

BUT..

“The Prime Minister/Chancellor of the Exchequer/Government”

Party identifiers only used when it’s not Conservative. Has this been going on for a while?