BBC bias

Normally quite sceptical of this thread but when you see an online article with the headline...

Has Scotland been slower to vaccinate over-80s?

only to read the explanation in the main article...

Scotland is receiving vaccines based on its share of the population but has its rollout to the over-80s been slower than England?

The answer appears to be yes.

But it is because it has pursued a different strategy, with Scotland making sure that care home residents and healthcare staff were at the top of the list.

...misleading headline and there's always the people who only read the headline and file it away as Nicola hates grannies!  :unsure2:

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

There's nothing biased in what this BBC person is saying but the fact they're openly making this a value for money comparison is quite significant I think.

Are Netflix planning to prosecute people who don't want a Netflix subscription?

People should know there is no need to pay your TV licence, especially in Scotland.

People anywhere can write to the BBC explaining they don't watch live TV or listen to the radio (even if you do you can still do this, they can't check) therefore don't need a TV licence, and they will cancel it and that's that.  Its possible you'll get a couple of letters, ignore them and nothing will happen.

In Scotland you can add that you are hereby informing them you are removing their implied right of access to your property and they can't come to your door anymore anyway.

Nobody should be paying for that shite in this day and age.  If done right you don't have to.

17 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

There's nothing biased in what this BBC person is saying but the fact they're openly making this a value for money comparison is quite significant I think.

This story was in the news earlier...

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/20/bbc-faces-financial-uncertainty-due-to-reliance-on-licence-fee-report

37 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

People should know there is no need to pay your TV licence, especially in Scotland.

People anywhere can write to the BBC explaining they don't watch live TV or listen to the radio (even if you do you can still do this, they can't check) therefore don't need a TV licence, and they will cancel it and that's that.  Its possible you'll get a couple of letters, ignore them and nothing will happen.

In Scotland you can add that you are hereby informing them you are removing their implied right of access to your property and they can't come to your door anymore anyway.

Nobody should be paying for that shite in this day and age.  If done right you don't have to.

Anyone else get a BBC survey today by email.  Lots of questions about ewhat services I use and how I rate the content etc of BBC v C4 ITV Netflix etc

Maybe a ploy to catch me out as I do not have a licence but quite frankly I hardly need one anymore as I rarely watch live tv anymore....like many others,  Added text about BBC bias against Scottish Independence as a reason I dont watch it.  Might consider formalising my withdrawl from BBC licenve tax....

16 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Anyone else get a BBC survey today by email.  Lots of questions about ewhat services I use and how I rate the content etc of BBC v C4 ITV Netflix etc

Maybe a ploy to catch me out as I do not have a licence but quite frankly I hardly need one anymore as I rarely watch live tv anymore....like many others,  Added text about BBC bias against Scottish Independence as a reason I dont watch it.  Might consider formalising my withdrawl from BBC licenve tax....

You should, nobody should be paying for their crap.  I don't have one and nothing has ever happened to me.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Netflix are smart. No need for the long arm of the law, all they need their customers to do is have a kid and then they're trapped for all eternity paying it to get half an hour of peace while they watch cocomelon. 

I can't articulate my take but something about them becoming the closest replacement to terrestrial only viewing because everyone has Netflix and subsequently watch the mostly shite they heavily advertise.

No I haven't watched Power or Tiger King no I'm never going to please watch something good so I can stop being the office pariah 😩

Edited by NotThePars

Telly would be shite with just Netflix, Amazon and Sky. There should be space for broadcasting that isn't run by American corporations and billionaires. There's lots wrong with the BBC and the government's control over it, but it's worth looking where the loudest voices for getting rid of the license fee are coming from, the right wing of the Tory party and Murdoch's pals.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Telly would be shite with just Netflix, Amazon and Sky. There should be space for broadcasting that isn't run by American corporations and billionaires. There's lots wrong with the BBC and the government's control over it, but it's worth looking where the loudest voices for getting rid of the license fee are coming from, the right wing of the Tory party and Murdoch's pals.

Watch it if you want, but you don't have to pay for it.  You'd be daft to imo.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Antipathy towards the BBC is a rare example of real horseshoe theory, if only because the BBC has pursued fish hook theory so doggedly.

I'm sure that's very clever but I haven't a clue what it means.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You don't have to watch them

There will be nothing else if you have your way. If the BBC is so shite why are you recommending that people should watch or listen to their programmes without paying?

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah, nah, it's not enough to point to the real baddies anymore when the BBC spent so long kneecapping genuinely emancipatory movements in the UK.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

What

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure that's very clever but I haven't a clue what it means.

Pretty sure he's saying that the left and right might be united in hating the BBC but the left hate it because the BBC spent so long cosying up to the right against the left.