BBC bias

On 10/09/2020 at 18:43, Billy Jean King said:

It's a fuckin disgrace borne out of jealousy of the support shown for Nicola and her team.

Thankfully on gaining Independence the BBC as we know it will be history.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I've had protestant unionists from NI say they can tell a catholic from the look of them. Imagine living every day with 'they move among us' paranoia like that.

Tennents bar on Byres Road had/has quite an eclectic mix of regulars. A long standing rumour/urban myth from the days when "homosexuals" were to be feared and/or segregated, was that one side of the bar  was a gay hang out - think it was the right hand side. Anyhow a couple of years ago I arranged to catch up with a friend I hadn't seen since Uni in Tennents which coincided with a Scotland away game on TV. He made the statement beforehand about making sure we stand at the correct side of the bar and I assumed this was a light hearted reference to the rumours from our Uni days.

Anyway I arrived a wee bit late and found him oddly standing outside waiting for me. I asked him if it was too busy to get a drink/see the TV, and he said it was pretty full but you can get served. He then added in all seriousness that because it was packed ""they" could be standing anywhere - even right behind you". 

I remember having a beer in Tennents with a mate when some twat sat down opposite us and aggressively asked my mate if he was a fag. My mate misheard him and said he didn't smoke!

Exit homophobic twat!  

6 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I've been told, by a few well educated and intelligent people, that I look like "one of them" (specific religious denomination that is - not sexual orientation).

Apparently my claiming to be an atheist cuts no ice, as there is some determining genetic factor. 

Can imagine the conversation, "Aye, but are you a catholic atheist, or....?"

I've had protestant unionists from NI say they can tell a catholic from the look of them. Imagine living every day with 'they move among us' paranoia like that.
I know folk born and bred in Scotland that proclaim likewise. Utterly bizarre behaviour based on generations old bigoted stereotyping no doubt passed down to them from grandfather, father etc.

2 hours ago, Shipa said:

Can imagine the conversation, "Aye, but are you a catholic atheist, or....?"

No need, see they can tell without asking!

I didn't find it offensive in the slightest.

Many people in the WoS  (of a certain vintage) will be aware of this superpower 😆

I think it may be on the wane amongst the younsters.

Many people in the WoS  (of a certain vintage) will be aware of this superpower [emoji38]
One of the favourite quotes from one of the people I mentioned in the post above was his declaration that someone he had studied for 30 seconds max "had the map of Ireland staring out their face". Quite what this meant exactly I have genuinely no idea.

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:
Many people in the WoS  (of a certain vintage) will be aware of this superpower emoji38.png

One of the favourite quotes from one of the people I mentioned in the post above was his declaration that someone he had studied for 30 seconds max "had the map of Ireland staring out their face". Quite what this meant exactly I have genuinely no idea.

I've heard this one too. Woman at my mum's work (going back to the 70s here) said that about Danny McGrain😆

For some reason I always remembered that, probably through the difficulty of trying to work out what it meant!

I despise bigotry with a passion, I would love to see Celtic and Rangers sink to the bottom of the sea, I've been an atheist for as long as I've been aware it's a thing - and I would say without doubt that there are facial differences between people of Irish and Scottish origin (including Ulster Scots). I know plenty of other normal people who can too. My mum's side are Irish origin, my dad's side are Scots, and the differences are obvious - higher cheekbones, more freckly skin versus rounder, fatter faces and darker hair.

It's a loose generalisation, there are obviously big proportions who don't match it at all and it only refers to a distinct origin that should mean nothing in Scotland today.

Surely nobody is going to disagree with that? Really?

Also, just because you can't see it doesn't mean others can't. If you've grown up knowing the ethnic origin of a lot of people - which is the case when it's in your family and when you grow up in an city with denominational schools - then you're going to be more likely to see it. This is true all over the world - I can't tell the difference between most peoples who live around the Mediterranean, but I know a Lebanese women who's amazed that I can't.

It wouldn't be controversial to say you can see differences in facial characteristics between, say, Finns and Swedes (Finns often have rounder, flatter faces), and out here on the fringes of Europe there's still a lot of genetic heterogeneity, so this really shouldn't be controversial at all. It's only sectarianism that's made it appear so.

ETA I'm not going to get into an argument about this, so if you disagree, that's fine, just don't expect me to care about the opinions of someone who doesn't have my experiences telling me that I don't know what I know. I'll not be taking the bait.

Edited by GordonS

It wouldn't be controversial to say you can see differences in facial characteristics between, say, Finns and Swedes

Finns and Swedes don't even share the same language group, they're apples and oranges. Irish protestants and Irish catholics are Granny Smiths and Granny Smiths grown in slightly more acidic soil with better drainage but heavier rainfall. Your comparison is ludicrous.

6 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

I've been told, by a few well educated and intelligent people, that I look like "one of them" (specific religious denomination that is - not sexual orientation).

Apparently my claiming to be an atheist cuts no ice, as there is some determining genetic factor. 

Yes, you definitely do, spotted it a mile off. A Unitarian if I ever saw one.

20200629_114559.thumb.jpg.a2e769f92e065e

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I know folk born and bred in Scotland that proclaim likewise. Utterly bizarre behaviour based on generations old bigoted stereotyping no doubt passed down to them from grandfather, father etc.

Ditto.

I knew a guy a few years ago who, if you had 3 walking towards you - a Nigerian, an Indian, and a catholic, this guy could identify the catholic before the Nigerian or the Indian.

42 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I despise bigotry with a passion, I would love to see Celtic and Rangers sink to the bottom of the sea, I've been an atheist for as long as I've been aware it's a thing - and I would say without doubt that there are facial differences between people of Irish and Scottish origin (including Ulster Scots). I know plenty of other normal people who can too. My mum's side are Irish origin, my dad's side are Scots, and the differences are obvious - higher cheekbones, more freckly skin versus rounder, fatter faces and darker hair.

You may 'despise bigotry with a passion' yet are keen to categorise people by nation based on their appearance.  In the context of the British Isles - which has been a delightful melting pot for centuries - this is a level of ignorance you'd not see even on FollowFollow.

My Teuchter auld man- from Sutherland - ticks all of the boxes you attribute to 'Irish' with the added bonus of blue eyes - another characteristic shared between both countries. You'd not be able to tell if he came from either Thurso or Galway.- and this is a good thing.

Your post is wrong in pretty-much every respect and your get-out of, " just don't expect me to care about the opinions of someone who doesn't have my experiences telling me that I don't know what I know. I'll not be taking the bait" is utterly pathetic.

You deserve a huge amount of opprobrium for this shite.

22 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You may 'despise bigotry with a passion' yet are keen to categorise people by nation based on their appearance.  In the context of the British Isles - which has been a delightful melting pot for centuries - this is a level of ignorance you'd not see even on FollowFollow.

My Teuchter auld man- from Sutherland - ticks all of the boxes you attribute to 'Irish' with the added bonus of blue eyes - another characteristic shared between both countries. You'd not be able to tell if he came from either Thurso or Galway.- and this is a good thing.

Your post is wrong in pretty-much every respect and your get-out of, " just don't expect me to care about the opinions of someone who doesn't have my experiences telling me that I don't know what I know. I'll not be taking the bait" is utterly pathetic.

You deserve a huge amount of opprobrium for this shite.

Ironically, on P&B, you can tell the  opprobriums by just their colour.

Edited by 8MileBU

Trying to guess someone's nationality based on their appearance is by no means an exact science.  Sometimes you can get it hopelessly wrong.

I recall a World Cup match between Sweden and Brazil.  The Swedish goalkeeper looked Brazilian and the Brazilian goalkeeper looked Swedish.  IMO obviously.

41 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Trying to guess someone's nationality based on their appearance is by no means an exact science.  Sometimes you can get it hopelessly wrong.

I recall a World Cup match between Sweden and Brazil.  The Swedish goalkeeper looked Brazilian and the Brazilian goalkeeper looked Swedish.  IMO obviously.

Assuming you're remembering 1994, Claudio Taffarel has German ancestry.

What a typical Brazilian looks like is definitely not something which can be defined and is a dangerous conversation to have, but apparently Thomas Ravelli did have an Italian background as you can guess by the name, rather than having entirely Swedish roots.

50 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

And there were fans from both countries who looked like 36C