BBC bias

25 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Sarwar is on video after Westminster dingied it saying that challenging it is the right thing.

Keith has silenced him, much to the disgruntlement of some of his MSPs.

I have been out, but will be stunned if the BBC has interviewed Labour, Lib Dem or any of the 4 tories that voted for the bill...........because in their minds its "SNP going to war with Westminster".

I think you're trying too hard to find something that isn't there if I'm being honest. 

It's the SNP that are the leading party who control Holyrood, they are the ones that are challenging the decision specifically. Even if opposition parties agree with the action taken it's the SNP that are the ones taking that action. It's entirely correct and accurate journalism to point out the SNP are choosing to do so. 

5 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I think you're trying too hard to find something that isn't there if I'm being honest. 

It's the SNP that are the leading party who control Holyrood, they are the ones that are challenging the decision specifically. Even if opposition parties agree with the action taken it's the SNP that are the ones taking that action. It's entirely correct and accurate journalism to point out the SNP are choosing to do so. 

Its not "The SNP" who are taking the action, it is the FM on behalf of the Scottish Parliament..........where every party voted for this bill.

n.b. The SNP are the largest party, but they do not have overall control.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Its not "The SNP" who are taking the action, it is the FM on behalf of the Scottish Parliament..........where every party voted for this bill.

n.b. The SNP are the largest party, but they do not have overall control.

Yeah you're trying a bit too hard to find a grievance here. 

You make it sound like the FM just slipped and fell into this position and it's misleading to suggest this action is being made by the SNP... They didn't have a parliamentary vote to see if they thought it was correct to challenge Westminster. This isn't a cross party move even if some from other parties support it. 

You're conflating support of the bill with supporting challenging the blocking of the bill, it's not surprising that some people would share the same views in both instances but it's misleading to act like they're the same thing. 

22 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Yeah you're trying a bit too hard to find a grievance here. 

You make it sound like the FM just slipped and fell into this position and it's misleading to suggest this action is being made by the SNP... They didn't have a parliamentary vote to see if they thought it was correct to challenge Westminster. This isn't a cross party move even if some from other parties support it. 

You're conflating support of the bill with supporting challenging the blocking of the bill, it's not surprising that some people would share the same views in both instances but it's misleading to act like they're the same thing. 

How can you support the bill but not be against the blocking of it. That stance simply doesn't exist !

You will struggle to find an MSP who voted for the bill but supports the WM block regardless of party .

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

How can you support the bill but not be against the blocking of it. That stance simply doesn't exist !

You will struggle to find an MSP who voted for the bill but supports the WM block regardless of party .

Well we can wait and see if Scottish Labour come out and state they support this challenge, I'm going to predict that they don't do that though.  

It seems to me like the bill had cross party support but I would be very surprised if Labour or the Tories as a party support challenging Westminster over this. Even on this website there seems to be some people who see challenging the bill as a waste of time even if they supported the idea of the bill. 

Just now, RuMoore said:

Well we can wait and see if Scottish Labour come out and state they support this challenge, I'm going to predict that they don't do that though.  

It seems to me like the bill had cross party support but I would be very surprised if Labour or the Tories as a party support challenging Westminster over this. Even on this website there seems to be some people who see challenging the bill as a waste of time even if they supported the idea of the bill. 

That's exactly why HY has gone down the route he has imo. He has the other parties at Holyrood backed into a corner simply by them supporting the bill. The also support the existence of the Scottish parliament and hence its difficult for them to oppose the WM block. We all know this is now hee haw to do with the GR bill so the element of public support for the actual bill in question has become pretty irrelevant, it's purely a constitutional point now.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

That's exactly why HY has gone down the route he has imo. He has the other parties at Holyrood backed into a corner simply by them supporting the bill. The also support the existence of the Scottish parliament and hence its difficult for them to oppose the WM block. We all know this is now hee haw to do with the GR bill so the element of public support for the actual bill in question has become pretty irrelevant, it's purely a constitutional point now.

I don't think they'll publically oppose or support it I think they'll essentially try and avoid talking about it and will say things along the lines of "The government has chosen to take forward this action, I don't want to engage in hypotheticals" when asked if they would also do the same. 

Which is also why I don't think describing this as SNP vs Westminster is unfair, which is the only point I was really contesting anyway. 

Edited by RuMoore

Surely it should either be described as SNP v Tory (which I suspect Labour would love) or Holyrood v Westminster. That it isn't seems to suggest a, possibly, unconscious bias. By using the name of the institution only on one side of the argument you are providing that side with a veneer of authority not granted to the other.

BBC Radio Scotland at lunchtime - 

Lead with "tories demand Sturgeon is suspended from SNP"

They then cover the breaking news that Sunak is under investigation by the standards committee.

The last bit was an interview with Craig Hoy (tory chair in Scotland) about why Nicola Sturgeon (who isnt under investigation by any committee) should be resigning.  Interviewing the chair of the Tory party in Scotland seems like shooty in to ask about Sunak being under investigation................can I let you guess how they addressed this?

Spoiler

the unsurprising answer is - they said absolutely f**k all about it.

That's because all the Tories are used for up here is to attack the SNP.  BBC Scotland use them as their fuel for that vehicle so they don't have to do it themselves.

• 2 weeks later...