BBC bias

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The idiots at BBC showing their total lack of competence.  Did no one envisage that this was a likely outcome? 

Then again, the conversation is all about Lineker.  Did he overstep the mark?  Should he be fired or not?

The real conversation should be about Suella Braverman and whether or not she was using far more emotive and dangerous language than Lineker was using. 

14 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Then again, the conversation is all about Lineker.  Did he overstep the mark?  Should he be fired or not?

The real conversation should be about Suella Braverman and whether or not she was using far more emotive and dangerous language than Lineker was using. 

The real 'real conversation' should be about the complete and utter nick the country is in, as opposed to both a proposed bill that will change nothing in reality and the equally futile culture war being stoked up in response to it. 

This is a dead government engaging in the most pathetic and futile gesture politics available to it. Yet moron, liberal Twitter has once again risen to the bait. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

The real 'real conversation' should be about the complete and utter nick the country is in, as opposed to both a proposed bill that will change nothing in reality and the equally futile culture war being stoked up in response to it. 

This is a dead government engaging in the most pathetic and futile gesture politics available to it. Yet moron, liberal Twitter has once again risen to the bait. 

This isn't about gesture politics but the principle of freedom of speech.

I personally would disagree with Lineker's use of the word Nazi, and you might think that he (and others)  are indulging in gesture politics and talk shit but I'll defend his right to talk shit.

The current government thinks that the principle of freedom of speech should only apply to one side of any argument.

Where does the line get drawn where we say - no, enough is enough?

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I personally would disagree with Lineker's use of the word Nazi, and you might think that he (and others)  are indulging in gesture politics and talk shit but I'll defend his right to talk shit.

The current government thinks that the principle of freedom of speech should only apply to one side of any argument.

It's the Tory government's "small boats" stuff that VT is referring to as the gesture politics. 

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Lineker never used the word Nazi.  It would have been justified, but he didn't.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The government are tilting at windmills to deflect from the actual binfire that they are overseeing. That is what this completely unworkable small boats 'policy' is about - gesture politics and absolutely nothing more. Lineker and other liberals have taken this most obvious fucking bait in plain sight, and so here we are having a media storm over Nazis, the BBC and MOTD punditry, rather than the disingenuous government 'policy' or their myriad failures in running the country. 

The UK government's policy by now is quite clearly to light every bullshit culture war that they can between now and the election. You (and millions of others) are enabling this to happen. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

Expect to see plenty of "that was much better, they need to sack all these woke 'experts' and just show the football" from the usual assorted roasters.

Count me in as a roaster. if they could extend the lack of pundits to Sportscene it would save me pressing the fast forward in between highlights.

I never watch MotD and don't like Lineker/Wright/Shearer but I'm enjoying watching spectacle from the sidelines.

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No presenters or pundits for MotD tomorrow. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/entertainment-arts-64895316

The commentators should now withdraw as well.

Wrt. commentators - It depends on their contract situation. Withdrawing your labour without having a ballot would seem like grounds for discipline and ultimately dismissal (if you already had a written warning)

It's different for free lancers who aren't directly employed by the BBC. It's also an easy decision for Lineker, Shearer, Wright etc. who have earnt millions sat on the MOTD sofa.

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Lineker didn’t use the word Nazi in his tweet. He may have implied it by comparing the language to 30s Germany 

It is the right wing media that started used the N word.  

This is interesting from Roger Bolton, who in my view, the BBC binned from Feedback on Radio 4 as he spoke truth to power too often and was probably considered too old (like the purge on Radio 2)

Screenshot_20230311_082934_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5fcd16b40426299d5ed8529ba6d16278.jpg

I'm not sure I accept the premise that Lineker is held to a different standard as the biggest earner and face of the BBC. 

This has ultimately been caused by Tim Davie wanting to rigorously enforce  impartiality, every DG before has put their head in the sand and the policy has been a bit of a mess. If you work on news you are contractually obliged (as I understand it) to keep your opinions to yourself. Everyone else is effectively exempt.

Edited by Trogdor

14 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Lineker didn’t use the word Nazi in his tweet. He may have implied it by comparing the language to 30s Germany 

It is the right wing media that started used the N word.  

It's not just the right wing media.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/gary-lineker-nazis-tweet-holocaust-b2298127.html

And most other newspapers are reporting it as such.

48 minutes ago, virginton said:

The UK government's policy by now is quite clearly to light every bullshit culture war that they can between now and the election. You (and millions of others) are enabling this to happen. 

Also you can even be honest about what the Tories are doing and still get your fix. It's not just that they are governing by culture war but the cruelty is the only point, it's not like this is something which is possibly going to work or addresses any of the myriad live, worthwhile of discussion issues of immigration in the UK. You can point out that this is a disgusting way for a failing government to behave alongside a rigorous attack on their record (and even feel sympathetic to Linekar personally if you want) without getting bogged down in this bollocks. 

You almost have to laugh when you see how transparent it is. I clicked on the Times' "my daughter went from finding out Santa isn't real to learning about anal sex" article this morning and burst out laughing when I saw the child in question was 12, a full year older than my primary school class who learned about these things in 2005.

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

9 hours ago, virginton said:

I think you're right that the current proposal itself will change little in practice if it even gets passed. 

But it's not just "liberal twitter" that they're goading. They're openly picking a fight with both the HRA and the ECHR and choosing this as the battle ground. Hopefully they don't have enough parliamentary time left to get any real changes through, but the possibility of withdrawing from the ECHR should be fairly worrying. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I think you're right that the current proposal itself will change little in practice if it even gets passed. 

But it's not just "liberal twitter" that they're goading. They're openly picking a fight with both the HRA and the ECHR and choosing this as the battle ground. Hopefully they don't have enough parliamentary time left to get any real changes through, but the possibility of withdrawing from the ECHR should be fairly worrying. 

I think that's the big worry about the general direction the Tories are heading.  You can see that they are attempting to erode civil liberties, making it difficult to protest or take action to prevent their vile policies passing.

It's not helped though by the Labour Party acting as enablers on the issue of immigration - they are nothing more than a Red UKIP.  It's a fucking mess because they’ve pussyfooted around the whole issue of race and immigration for the past 40 or 50 years to the extent that a substantial part of the electorate are easily manipulated to supporting racist policies.

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think that's the big worry about the general direction the Tories are heading.  You can see that they are attempting to erode civil liberties, making it difficult to protest or take action to prevent their vile policies passing.

It's not helped though by the Labour Party acting as enablers on the issue of immigration - they are nothing more than a Red UKIP.  It's a fucking mess because they’ve pussyfooted around the whole issue of race and immigration for the past 40 or 50 years to the extent that a substantial part of the electorate are easily manipulated to supporting racist policies.

I think that's a fair summary. 

Anyone who thinks that Labour under Starmer is going to be undoing much of what's been going on at Westminster hasn't been paying attention.

That's if you subscribe to the opinion that Labour are a shoe-in for the next general election, which I don't, given that the Tories have two Budgets and the power of the Mail and the Express. (And the BBC!) 

The Tories are toast. Even tory voters are sick of them. The question is how big is the Labour majority will be and how long do we have to wait.

The actions of this zombie government are the only play book they have left. It won't work, stoking up division and trying to erode civil liberties is not a winning strategy. It will only galvanise the opposition and drive up their turnout. Whilst failing to re-engage their own voters and they will hemorrhage more and more. They already know they are losing in 2024/25.

The bleeding cannot be stopped now. Unfortunately, they won't bow out with grace and are intent on fucking up this country as much as possible so Labour inherit a binfire and the Tories can try to get back in, in 2029/30. That's their plan.