BBC bias

On 16/01/2023 at 10:06, KirkieRR said:

Yes, it's a rum one. A Google News Search suggests the last time the BBC mentioned Zahawi was when they faithfully reported his demands that oiks stop striking, and Labour cut its links with unions whose oiks are striking. About a month ago.

The story:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/15/nadhim-zahawi-to-pay-millions-in-tax-after-dispute-over-family-finances

Finally a mention on Newsnight (after it was mentioned in Parliament), but soft soaped and most of the piece was Kirsty Wark demanding that all Labour shadow cabinet members reveal their tax returns.

I suppose reporters like Nick Robinson (Tory tube anyway) have to ask Union leaders awkward questions "on behalf of the public" but I always feel there's a right wing bias there 

Mick Lynch was asked this morning "why can't your members just do a little bit of overtime to keep the trains running". To which my reply would be if you're trying to run a service based on overtime then you might have a staffing issue, and then "even the trains in Ukraine are more punctual than the British ones" (to which my reply would be they're nationalised, haven't undergone a stupid and ludicrous fragmentation in the name of privatisation and maybe we should get some Ukrainians in to run the railways) 

50 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I suppose reporters like Nick Robinson (Tory tube anyway) have to ask Union leaders awkward questions "on behalf of the public" but I always feel there's a right wing bias there 

Mick Lynch was asked this morning "why can't your members just do a little bit of overtime to keep the trains running". To which my reply would be if you're trying to run a service based on overtime then you might have a staffing issue, and then "even the trains in Ukraine are more punctual than the British ones" (to which my reply would be they're nationalised, haven't undergone a stupid and ludicrous fragmentation in the name of privatisation and maybe we should get some Ukrainians in to run the railways) 

Unbelievable that he used the Ukraine comparison. I think they're all desperate to score a win with Lynch because he's wiped the floor with most of them. They're all like 6th form prefects fighting to be head girl.

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Unbelievable that he used the Ukraine comparison. I think they're all desperate to score a win with Lynch because he's wiped the floor with most of them. They're all like 6th form prefects fighting to be head girl.

I don't know why they even want to take him on any more. He's destroyed literally every single Tory he's come up against in interviews, TV panels etc and left them looking like little more than babbling idiots. The best ones so far are him calling some junior minister a liar repeatedly on Newsnight and reducing that beardy wee nonce Jonathan Gullis to a crying mess unable to come back with anything other than "don't care about veterans then do you?

23 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Let's always add the rider, though, that in addition to many positive qualities, Lynch is bafflingly a Brexiteer.

perhaps he echoes Corbyn's muddled view of the EU being driven by the business interests of global corporations as well as the impact of foreign workers and free movement on the UK working class. 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

perhaps he echoes Corbyn's muddled view of the EU being driven by the business interests of global corporations as well as the impact of foreign workers and free movement on the UK working class. 

He explained in an interview a few weeks back - sure it was to James O’Brien - it was more because the EU requires contracts to be put out for tender and he’d much rather have everything renationalized. 

12 hours ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

I don't know why they even want to take him on any more. He's destroyed literally every single Tory he's come up against in interviews, TV panels etc and left them looking like little more than babbling idiots. The best ones so far are him calling some junior minister a liar repeatedly on Newsnight and reducing that beardy wee nonce Jonathan Gullis to a crying mess unable to come back with anything other than "don't care about veterans then do you?

Gullis has massive incel energy and should be for the watching at all times.

From the, ahem, BBC website. I hope this book of Bungling Bonzo's will include itemised accounts (no that I'm gonnae read it). He seems to go through cash like yon lottery winner who urinated his millions away playing dodgems with real cars in the garden of the mansion he bought.

Mr Johnson was reported to be in financial difficulty in late 2020.

The Sunday Times says multimillionaire Canadian businessman Sam Blyth - a distant cousin of Mr Johnson - raised with Mr Sharp the idea of acting as Mr Johnson's guarantor for a loan. It is not clear where the loan agreement itself came from.

Mr Sharp - a Conservative Party donor who at the time was applying to be the chairman of the BBC - contacted Simon Case, the then-cabinet secretary and head of the civil service. The paper says a due diligence process was then instigated.

The Cabinet Office later wrote a letter telling Mr Johnson to stop seeking Mr Sharp's advice about his personal finances, given the forthcoming BBC appointment, the Times says.

They can sometimes be a bit behind on reporting deaths but I've yet to see the death of Tom Nairn, a radical and pro-independence but a major figure in Scottish political thinking over the last half century, reported on the BBC website. 

Hmm...  

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

They can sometimes be a bit behind on reporting deaths but I've yet to see the death of Tom Nairn, a radical and pro-independence but a major figure in Scottish political thinking over the last half century, reported on the BBC website. 

Hmm...  

I expect the Guardian will provide an obit but most of the folk currently involved in the Scottish media will likely never have heard of him.  'The Enchanted Glass' is as relevant today as it was when it was written.