BBC bias

37 minutes ago, strichener said:

or 1.8% difference in the workforce which isn't that much lower?

The main thing that annoyed me was the lack of context. Like what a normal leaver rate is (turns out 7.7%) and whether there might be an impact of reversing out all the old or private nurses that rejoined the NHS for the covid effort. 

I don't generally like the news editorialising without presenting the relevant facts. I guess Today is a current affairs discussion show rather than strictly the news but the same applies. Give the audience the basic facts. 

The bias was more incidental to my general rage. 

Viewing it in terms of the total workforce could be valid. If they'd wanted to emphasise the difference they could equally validly have said that the leaver rate in England increased by over 50% more than the increase in Scotland.  I'd have been equally as suspicious of that sort of reporting. 

I think the MSM coverage of Truss and the Tory Party conference has not been too bad.

But can you imagine the coverage if the Labour Party had been in this sort of meltdown during their conference?

As an aside, Johnson inadvertently did the country a favour by hanging on as long as he did.  He must be looking at Truss’s first few weeks and pissing himself laughing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/05/rightwing-thinktanks-government-bbc-news-programmes

"I no longer believe the BBC’s failure to uphold its own rules is an accident. I believe it’s a policy. But why? Appeasement is always part of the answer: the BBC constantly seeks to placate the billionaire press and Conservative governments. More importantly, it has always been a defender and projector of established power.

The BBC’s chair is Richard Sharp. Much has been made of Sharp’s donations to the Conservative party. But his relationship with the dark-money thinktanks concerns me even more. He was a director of the Centre for Policy Studies (CPS), a dark-money group founded by Margaret Thatcher and Keith Joseph. On the day of Kwarteng’s mini-budget, the CPS claimed responsibility for several of his key announcements. Sharp’s family foundation has also donated to the Institute for Policy Research, which is more transparent about its funding but in turn sends funds to the Centre for Policy Studies and the Taxpayers’ Alliance, another opaque lobby group that has trumpeted its influence. The Taxpayers’ Alliance has long campaigned to scrap the BBC’s licence fee. The BBC grants it, unlike other critics, a massive amount of airtime.

I’m sure there’s more to this story than we yet know. It’s hard to believe how freely the BBC breaks its own rules to promote and normalise an extreme neoliberal cult. Neoliberalism is the intellectual justification for the class war waged by the rich against the poor. The BBC is part of the team."

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It might be my imagination but one think I’ve notice is the media will regularly describe people/politicians as “hard left” but you’ll never hear the same language to describe someone on the right 

"Here's the headline from the pro independence National" never "And today's headline in the unionist as f**k Mail, Telegraph, Herald, Express, Hootsman etc"

7 hours ago, Clown Job said:

It might be my imagination but one think I’ve notice is the media will regularly describe people/politicians as “hard left” but you’ll never hear the same language to describe someone on the right 

Italy's new Prime Minister is far right. Maybe it's only a thing the foreigners do. Giorgia Meloni: Italy's far-right wins election and vows to govern for all - BBC News

21 hours ago, Clown Job said:

I totally understand the view that all Tories are scum.  However some are easier to stomach than others.  I might not agree with them but I will listen to them and at the very least they are informative.  I might even say "Oh, I never thought of that".

By contrast, some are so extreme, I would not expect to agree with them on anything.  Patel and Braverman are especially toxic.

Theresa May did not use the term "hard right". Instead she used the term "nasty" which means much the same thing.  She herself was pretty nasty as Home Secretary.  Must be something about the role.

Also, I wonder if it is that the "hard left" do not push back enough.  "I am not hard anything - I am just common sense proposing the solutions this country needs".  That would be the response you would get from the "hard-right".

10 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I totally understand the view that all Tories are scum.  However some are easier to stomach than others.  I might not agree with them but I will listen to them and at the very least they are informative.  I might even say "Oh, I never thought of that".

By contrast, some are so extreme, I would not expect to agree with them on anything.  Patel and Braverman are especially toxic.

Theresa May did not use the term "hard right". Instead she used the term "nasty" which means much the same thing.  She herself was pretty nasty as Home Secretary.  Must be something about the role.

Also, I wonder if it is that the "hard left" do not push back enough.  "I am not hard anything - I am just common sense proposing the solutions this country needs".  That would be the response you would get from the "hard-right".

87737F72-DDE0-4486-88C7-A4C7A38D1917.gif

Reminds me of the time Ernie Walker described the Uruguay football team 'scum' after the 1986 world cup match. 

Might not have been exactly 'pc', but as I recall nobody disagreed much.  FWIW I'd find it difficult to disagree with the FM's views of the Tories. 

I'm not entirely surprised but Darling got off quite lightly, IMO.  Never pressed at all on the democratic implications of a "No" from the 'Supine Court'*. 

(Copyright Salt n Vinegar, 2022 😁