BBC bias

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Not just the BBC that takes that approach 

The real story here is that a very well remunerated Kings Counsel whose annual earnings are almost certainly at the upper quartile of Scottish incomes has no compunction about plunging more of his fellow citizens towards penury if it benefits his personal financial circumstances.

Northumberland is welcome to him and his ilk.

3 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Not just the BBC that takes that approach 

Imagine seeing the news for the past year and thinking that a move Down South to that royal clusterf*ck of a land just now is worth the uproot for the sake of a sum that'll be pocket money to him in the grand scheme of things.

One less moron to worry about.

Edited by Hedgecutter

14 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Imagine seeing the news for the past year and thinking that a move Down South to that royal clusterf*ck of a land  is worth it for the sake of a few more grand that'll be pocket money to him in the grand scheme of things.

One less moron to worry about.

Just means more tax to be taken from the lower paid.

Great thinking.

We need lots more highly paid people.

10 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Just means more tax to be taken from the lower paid.

Great thinking.

We need lots more highly paid people.

Under that thinking, should Scots feel guilty for burdening the lower paid should they decide to move to the bright lights of London, or any other country for that matter?

Not sure I'd favour a land willing to sell it's soul for the sake of maximum profit; a mentality that doesn't seem to be working very well elsewhere.

Edited by Hedgecutter

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Under that thinking, should Scots feel guilty for burdening the lower paid should they decide to move to the bright lights of London, or any other country for that matter?

Not sure I'd favour a land willing to sell it's soul for the sake of maximum profit; a mentality that doesn't seem to be working very well elsewhere.

Can’t follow your logic.

It takes money to pay for public services.

Highly paid people pay lots of tax and contribute greatly to the benefit of the less highly paid.

Its not hard to follow.

Shinzo Abe: A divided Japan bids farewell to its slain ex-PM - BBC News

The BBC's article about the state funeral of the recently assassinated former Prime Minister of Japan contains an interesting few lines:

But a short distance away in front of the Japanese parliament thousands more gathered to noisily and angrily demonstrate their opposition.

Abe was widely admired abroad, but he was a divisive figure at home. Many of the protesters outside parliament were furious about the $10.7m (1.6bn yen; £10m) cost of the funeral. Others simply said Abe did not deserve the rare honour of a state funeral.

"I am frustrated and angry that we let the government do whatever they want without consulting the people," said 25 year old Iori Fujiwara. "Us younger generation needs to speak out more for our own future, that's why I am here."

"I could not stay at home while they are spending so much money and inviting so many guests while there are Japanese people suffering from the typhoon last week," said 25-year-old Ayaka Uehira.

Those wacky Japanese, paying a lot of money to have a state funeral for someone while large swathes of the country are suffering so much. You'd never catch us doing that.

41 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

25% of all income tax revenues come from the top 1% of the population.

90% of all income tax revenues come from the top 50% of the population.

I see you don't recognise the word "proportionately".  I have also added an important word to your incorrect statement.

How much of their wealth do the top 1% pay each year in taxation?  Not just income tax but capital gains, alcohol, tobacco, fuel duty, council tax etc.  Do you think this will be more or less in %age terms than someone earning minimum wage?

Edited by strichener

13 minutes ago, strichener said:

I see you don't recognise the word "proportionately".  I have also added an important word to your incorrect statement.

How much of their wealth do the top 1% pay each year in taxation?  Not just income tax but capital gains, alcohol, tobacco, fuel duty, council tax etc.  Do you think this will be more or less in %age terms than someone earning minimum wage?

I don’t know the answer but someone on a low income will pay little or no income tax and minimal N.I.

Also most food items are zero rated or exempt, electricity/ gas are at 5%, children’s clothes are Zero.

Im not sure you’re right but, hey, the big point is and you always seem to dodge it is that we can’t afford to lose high earners. Even John Swinney acknowledged that he’d have to look closely at the tax rates when challenged about it.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I don’t know the answer but someone on a low income will pay little or no income tax and minimal N.I.

Also most food items are zero rated or exempt, electricity/ gas are at 5%, children’s clothes are Zero.

Im not sure you’re right but, hey, the big point is and you always seem to dodge it is that we can’t afford to lose high earners. Even John Swinney acknowledged that he’d have to look closely at the tax rates when challenged about it.

At no point have I dodged anything nor have I stated that we can "afford to lose high earners".  What I have pointed out is that you are constantly overplaying their importance to the exchequer.  A point in fact is that your 1% pay 25% of income tax becomes 10% pay 25% of tax which puts a slightly different perspective on it when you consider that you have to be earning £58,300 to be in the top 10% of earners.  Whilst this is obviously a high income compared to the median UK income it is hardly yachts and jet territory and puts into perspective your need for more millionaires to be in Scotland.  What we should be looking at is the disparity in income (which is handily measured in the Gini coefficient) which shows that the UK is one of the most worst countries in the world for this.  So rather than look at taxing the highest earners most, we should be looking at the income disparity and addressing that.

Edited by strichener

They can do one now with there tv licence.....

The BBC's anti scottish bias is now out of control,nothing is off the table for them.

There no getting a penny more out of me,both ma brother's ditched paying there tv licence a few yrs ago.

All that happens is threatening letters,with nothing to back it up.

52 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

They can do one now with there tv licence.....

The BBC's anti scottish bias is now out of control,nothing is off the table for them.

There no getting a penny more out of me,both ma brother's ditched paying there tv licence a few yrs ago.

All that happens is threatening letters,with nothing to back it up.

Heard that you should just tell them, via your website, that you don't need a licence. You won't get any letters except one every couple of years asking you to confirm you still don't need a licence.

If you do this, ensure that if you use iPlayer you use another email address to sign in to it.

Remember that even if they did show up your door (incredibly unlikely, and that would only be after multiple threatening letters), they have zero right to be let in and can told to f**k right off. They only have a right if they get a warrant, and that's even more rare (haven't heard of it happening).