BBC bias

7 hours ago, thisal said:

On BBC Radio Scotland on Sunday morning a journalist was introduced as being from the "pro independence" National Newspaper. I don't remember any journalist being introduced as being from a pro unionist newspaper. 

1 hour ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Can't even be an Indy supporting newspaper these days without being called an Indy supporting newspaper. State gone mad. 

Sturgeon condemned yet? 

The inference being She's biased. She almost certainly is but so was everyone else in the debate. Hardly impartial presentation. Surely you can see that?

2 minutes ago, thisal said:

The inference being She's biased. She almost certainly is but so was everyone else in the debate. Hardly impartial presentation. Surely you can see that?

I broadly get where you're coming from and I think it would have weight if it wasn't someone that worked for a newspaper that's proud to be a pro Indy paper. 

Like I'd get it if it was a pro Indy journalist from any other newspaper.

I quite like when watching political TV shows seeing people's microexpressions when they're introduced by things they're probably prefer not to be introduced as, Labour candidates that supported Corbyn and Pro Brexit or Boris campaigners wince when it happens.

8 hours ago, thisal said:

On BBC Radio Scotland on Sunday morning a journalist was introduced as being from the "pro independence" National Newspaper. I don't remember any journalist being introduced as being from a pro unionist newspaper. 

I listened to it at the time and given Margaret Curran and Peter Duncan were already ensconced, I was charitable in supposing that by introducing Shona Craven as he did that Andrew Black was signalling balance. Really though, there is no need to describe The National as such just as it would be inefficient to introduce a journalist from the openly racist Daily Mail.

Actually, come to think of it, there's something creepily Trumpy about it, he was fond of describing outlets that he didn't like as failing and worse.

Thing is, I keep on having to be be charitable with young Andrew as he comes over as not as cerebrally endowed as some of his predecessors. He can't even hide during the course of his interviews that instead of at least feigning interest and asking questions that sound like he is the source, all he is does is wait for the interviewee to stop speaking so he can read whatever is next on his script.

Also he's bangs on about Ross County but I don't think that influences my opinion of him.

In other news, I was taken by Glenn Campbell and his set-up question...

Tell me Glenn do you think there will be a referendum next year?

Glenn - "I wouldn't put money on it"

I couldn't help but feel he got his tone all wrong and then wondered how our state broadcaster would pitch such a piece once we are independent.

27 minutes ago, sophia said:

I listened to it at the time and given Margaret Curran and Peter Duncan were already ensconced, I was charitable in supposing that by introducing Shona Craven as he did that Andrew Black was signalling balance. Really though, there is no need to describe The National as such just as it would be inefficient to introduce a journalist from the openly racist Daily Mail.

Actually, come to think of it, there's something creepily Trumpy about it, he was fond of describing outlets that he didn't like as failing and worse.

Thing is, I keep on having to be be charitable with young Andrew as he comes over as not as cerebrally endowed as some of his predecessors. He can't even hide during the course of his interviews that instead of at least feigning interest and asking questions that sound like he is the source, all he is does is wait for the interviewee to stop speaking so he can read whatever is next on his script.

Also he's bangs on about Ross County but I don't think that influences my opinion of him.

In other news, I was taken by Glenn Campbell and his set-up question...

Tell me Glenn do you think there will be a referendum next year?

Glenn - "I wouldn't put money on it"

I couldn't help but feel he got his tone all wrong and then wondered how our state broadcaster would pitch such a piece once we are independent.

They seem very keen to promote the fact they are pro Indy...

It's actually got to the point it's really funny that Pro Indy supporters are ashamed to be called such publically as they know it's unpopular. 

If I was Pro Indy and had issues with the BBC I'd welcome the representation and be proud that they recognised me as such. I'm sure in a parallel world the PnB BBC Bias thread has people complaining that the Pro Indy supporter wasn't recognised as such and its some Unionist cover up.

It's extremely obvious to anyone with brain cells that if the Herald or Record came out as a specifically pro Unionist newspaper they would get introduced as such. 

I wanna hear @spongeheid15thoughts on this unsurprising defeatist attitude. 

Screenshot_20220613-204532_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

16 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

They seem very keen to promote the fact they are pro Indy...

It's actually got to the point it's really funny that Pro Indy supporters are ashamed to be called such publically as they know it's unpopular. 

If I was Pro Indy and had issues with the BBC I'd welcome the representation and be proud that they recognised me as such. I'm sure in a parallel world the PnB BBC Bias thread has people complaining that the Pro Indy supporter wasn't recognised as such and its some Unionist cover up.

It's extremely obvious to anyone with brain cells that if the Herald or Record came out as a specifically pro Unionist newspaper they would get introduced as such. 

I wanna hear @spongeheid15thoughts on this unsurprising defeatist attitude. 

Screenshot_20220613-204532_Chrome.jpg

You are being disingenuous. It's extremely obvious to anyone with a brain cell that the Record and Herald ARE specifically pro unionist newspapers. It is without doubt become their prime political stance. The point is the presenter is trying to lessen the opinion of the National journalist by presenting them as biased. But does not make the same clarification on the other side of the debate. 

As you are well aware no one is ashamed of being called an independence supporter. 

36 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

It's extremely obvious to anyone with brain cells that if the Herald or Record came out as a specifically pro Unionist newspaper they would get introduced as such

They don't have to, though, that's the whole point and the way ideology works - they pass of as normal, "the way things are", and see the world in a distinct way. The very fact The National states it is pro-independence should, without the need to even analyse too deeply any of its articles, highlight that there is at least one other way of approaching a subject, a way of looking at the current state of affairs in a critical fashion and offering readers a chance to think about Scotland in a way that serves Scotland and away from the unfolding crises coming fast and furious from the current Tory government .

16 minutes ago, thisal said:

You are being disingenuous. It's extremely obvious to anyone with a brain cell that the Record and Herald ARE specifically pro unionist newspapers. It is without doubt become their prime political stance. The point is the presenter is trying to lessen the opinion of the National journalist by presenting them as biased. But does not make the same clarification on the other side of the debate. 

As you are well aware no one is ashamed of being called an independence supporter. 

You're ignoring the pertinent point that those papers don't state explicitly which side they support at present whereas the National does...

Even if you believe you know what they favour it would still be poor journalism to call them a Pro Unionist newspaper objectively speaking by any basic journalistic standards. 

This is lowkey like when racist people that are proudly racist get irritated by being labeled as such.

They are a proudly an Indy supporting Newspaper and you think its somehow biased to present them as they willingly choose to do so themselves. They are literally biased by their own occupation and defintion. 

You'll still find articles in support of Independence in the Record and Herald.. they just aren't predominant.  Why would they support Independence anyway?  It's a minority cause and always has been.

You'll still find them promoting a lot of pro-separation talking points.

Did the Sunday Herald not come out in favour of it anyway?

5 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

You'll still find articles in support of Independence in the Record and Herald.. they just aren't predominant.  Why would they support Independence anyway?  It's a minority cause and always has been.

Lesley Riddoch is pro independence and Kevin McKenna seems to move back and forth.

Im sure there are others but I dont follow them much.

3 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Can't even be an Indy supporting newspaper these days without being called an Indy supporting newspaper. State gone mad. 

Sturgeon condemned yet? 

Just look at the Express online daily.  They never seem to hear about Sir Noncealot or the fact that the Bullingdon cabal have the countries currently under their jurisdiction on their collective arses with their brexit and looking after their ain policies.

19 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Lesley Riddoch is pro independence and Kevin McKenna seems to move back and forth.

Im sure there are others but I dont follow them much.

I've always found Kevin McKenna to be quite open minded.  A lot of time for him.

Riddoch is a different kettle of fish, but I listen to her podcast regularly.  She's articulate and gives a good insight into the ways of the Nationalist movement, although she doesn't talk about it as much now.  Think she realises it's a dead duck.. and who wants a dead duck?  Not even it's mother, she just flies off, depressed.

Cat Boyd and David Jamieson of 'Conter' are an interesting listen.  Pretty much communists, but they are authentic and always have a smile on their faces.  I have a lot of respect for Jamieson in particular, the kind of guy you could chat about your disagreements with over a pint without it turning nasty.  They don't produce much content though.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

26 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Aye that's why I said currently as I'm also pretty sure the Daily Record came out as pro Indy at one point, the big Yoon b*****ds that they are. 

9 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

The idea that Scotland's media is in any way balanced when it comes to independence or accurately reflects the beliefs of at least 50% of the population is hilarious.

Pure comedy.

For clarification I'm not saying the Scottish media doesn't have a lot of biases I'm just saying the cited example of a National journalist being called a Nationalist isn't exactly something noteworthy.

8 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Just look at the Express online daily.  They never seem to hear about Sir Noncealot or the fact that the Bullingdon cabal have the countries currently under their jurisdiction on their collective arses with their brexit and looking after their ain policies.

For sure they're deffo one of the worst Britnat media sources. I'd hope enough centrists can recognise that and see through it. Deffo one of the most brexity papers on the go. 

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

image.png.ee029ec7fb06246aa108eea50e38f0b0.png

SNP MP in the headline. Nicely timed to coincide with the Indyref announcement. 

Ex-council leader in the headline. (He's a Tory. You find that out if you read the story.

"Sturgeon" as opposed to "FM Nicola Sturgeon" in contrast to "PM Boris Johnson". Also the BBC rarely capitalise First Minister. 

13 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Aye that's why I said currently as I'm also pretty sure the Daily Record came out as pro Indy at one point, the big Yoon b*****ds that they are. 

The Record has never been pro independence. 

The Scottish Sun did in the 90s, although most saw it as a Murdoch backed ploy to harm the Labour vote in Scotland. 

Not necessarily bias but interestingly on bbc news this morning when reporting on the independence campaign, the main uk broadcast said ‘any referendum would require legal consent from the uk government’ and reporting Scotland had ‘any referendum without an agreed order would likely be challenged in court’. 

A subtle but relatively significant difference. 

On 09/06/2022 at 11:56, Clown Job said:

But it's fine because we can switch to reliable and affordable public transport, right?

Right?