BBC bias

There's no bias, in each constiuency they do a simple calculation which is the change in percentage share of the vote from this election to the last election. They then look at the relative difference between the parties and divide it by two. So for Aberdeenshire East. I aklway think it's a relatively meaningless measure unless both votes have moved significantly.
  % % %  
  2021 2016 Change  
SNP 44.63 45.79 -1.16  
Tory 40.02 28.99 11.03  

Swing 0.5 x (11.03-(-1.16)) = 6.10%
  SNP to the Tories    

It's definitely simplistic as it assumes the swing is between 2 parties when the reality is there are multiple swings going on.

That's not a criticism of the BBC but the swing method.

Nicola McEwan, Ailsa Henderson and Martin Geissler were excellent yesterday.

With an understated editorial masterstroke, BBC Scotland hired Ramsay Jones and gave him enough air time to share his through the looking glass logic. 

Credit where it is due.

Only caught the start of the phone in today, first two callers from Glasgow and Ayr and we're close to having Yoon bingo 'more people voted for unionist parties' 'people didn't know what they were voting for' 'I voted Labour / Tory tactically' 'we'd be too poor to survive, we GET more back than we pay to the UK'

Definitely some good bbc balance going on there.

Laura Kuenssberg's hot take includes sentences she can't be arsed to finish:

"And she will be reminded again and again by unionists that in 2014, she and other figures said the referendum then was a "once in a generation"."

And basically, the Holyrood election results are down to Nicola Sturgeon shouting loudest and blaming everything on Westminster.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 11.22.09.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Only caught the start of the phone in today, first two callers from Glasgow and Ayr and we're close to having Yoon bingo 'more people voted for unionist parties' 'people didn't know what they were voting for' 'I voted Labour / Tory tactically' 'we'd be too poor to survive, we GET more back than we pay to the UK'

Not listening to this but have we had any SNP "voters" who voted tory this time because "recovery" or whatever?

21 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

"And she will be reminded again and again by unionists that in 2014, she and other figures said the referendum then was a "once in a generation"."

And basically, the Holyrood election results are down to Nicola Sturgeon shouting loudest and blaming everything on Westminster.

Even if we were to assume that’s true, I take it that there’s no attempt to examine why defining yourself against Westminster does well in Scotland? 

Edit: or anywhere else, for that matter.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Seeing as how folk are knocking themselves out reading things into votes cast and, sometimes, reading things into votes not cast, I'll chuck in another consideration.  At the outset I'll say that I agree that you can't always read voters minds - we hear stories of SNP voters not wanting independence and of Labour voter who want it. 

It is of course possible that all Green voters are also SNP supporters, but I suspect that where someone can't vote Green at least some would vote Labour or LibDem instead - some might even vote Tory.  I think that in last week's election, the Greens only stood in 11  out of the 73 constituencies, a mix of urban and rural.  It stands to reason that at least some who voted for these three ostensibly unionist parties in the 62 other constituencies would have preferred to vote Green instead. True, many/most might have voted SNP in the absence of a Green candidate, but it can't be the case that no allegedly 'unionist' votes would have been instead gone to the Greens. 

Isn't democracy wonderful? Just sayin'... 

I wish the BBC and the rest of The Establishment would start seriously questioning why 50% of people living in Scotland want to govern themselves, the vast majority of the population really didn't give a shit a decade or so ago. 

Maybe if those in power down south actually took actions that showed they gave a shit about people up here then folk like myself would still be shrugging our shoulders when the subject is raised. 

9 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

What can you expect from a broadcaster with an ex tory councillor/donor as chairman, the irony is that we pay to listen and view.

7 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

As I said already she has the face of a seaside donkey and the attitude that goes with it.

6 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Seeing as how folk are knocking themselves out reading things into votes cast and, sometimes, reading things into votes not cast, I'll chuck in another consideration.  At the outset I'll say that I agree that you can't always read voters minds - we hear stories of SNP voters not wanting independence and of Labour voter who want it. 

It is of course possible that all Green voters are also SNP supporters, but I suspect that where someone can't vote Green at least some would vote Labour or LibDem instead - some might even vote Tory.  I think that in last week's election, the Greens only stood in 11  out of the 73 constituencies, a mix of urban and rural.  It stands to reason that at least some who voted for these three ostensibly unionist parties in the 62 other constituencies would have preferred to vote Green instead. True, many/most might have voted SNP in the absence of a Green candidate, but it can't be the case that no allegedly 'unionist' votes would have been instead gone to the Greens. 

Isn't democracy wonderful? Just sayin'... 

Mary Scanlon, ex conservative MSP was on that BBC phone in today and she mentioned that last week she was phoning tory voters to get out and vote, some were telling her they were voting SNP as they thought that Nicola had done a good job with her daily briefings and the vaccine roll out.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I wish the BBC and the rest of The Establishment would start seriously questioning why 50% of people living in Scotland want to govern themselves, the vast majority of the population really didn't give a shit a decade or so ago. 

Maybe if those in power down south actually took actions that showed they gave a shit about people up here then folk like myself would still be shrugging our shoulders when the subject is raised. 

And it is exactly how you have a one sided view of the uk that is driving Independence.

At present it is a union not a one sided governance, a union in any language determines an equal partnership, just as a marriage is.

It is not morally acceptable that one partner of that union determines another's future, yet you refer to the establishment and the power down south as if we were children that can only be led by the hand.

It's that mindset that people like myself and our young people want to break away from and steer our own future and not be forced to accept another country's governance.

We have the energy, the foresight and initiative to become a solid respected country in our own right.

We will never have that when people look to 'the power down south'.

Just as England is,Scotland also is a Sovereign country

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

And it is exactly how you have a one sided view of the uk that is driving Independence.

At present it is a union not a one sided governance, a union in any language determines an equal partnership, just as a marriage is.

It is not morally acceptable that one partner of that union determines another's future, yet you refer to the establishment and the power down south as if we were children that can only be led by the hand.

It's that mindset that people like myself and our young people want to break away from and steer our own future and not be forced to accept another country's governance.

We have the energy, the foresight and initiative to become a solid respected country in our own right.

We will never have that when people look to 'the power down south'.

Just as England is,Scotland also is a Sovereign country

In case you haven't noticed, they hold the power. 

You'd think it was only you lot that wanted independence, sums up why we got gubbed the last time and it'll be the same old arguments this time round if we get that far. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

I would have thought both front pages were "real" just one is an earlier edition.

I posted the thread rather than just the photo as there doesn't seem to have been 2 editions according to the tweeter. He has asked The Harold and BBC for an answer which I doubt he'll get.

We all know that the BBC is a uk government institution and with a political appointed ex tory councilor and tory donor as Chairman we can expect nothing else but anti SNP/Independence propaganda, which we pay for for!!!!

You also have to consider that apart from The National the whole of the print and broadcasting media are owned by tories, even down to our local papers so we Independent minded Scots will always be bombarded with mistruths and lies.

It only strengthens our resolve.

1 minute ago, SandyCromarty said:

We all know that the BBC is a uk government institution and with a political appointed ex tory councilor and tory donor as Chairman we can expect nothing else but anti SNP/Independence propaganda, which we pay for for!!!!

You also have to consider that apart from The National the whole of the print and broadcasting media are owned by tories, even down to our local papers so we Independent minded Scots will always be bombarded with mistruths and lies.

It only strengthens our resolve.

Can you imagine what the Yes vote would be even if the media were genuinely impartial? I had an argument on another forum with a guy who claimed the the P&J was a pro SNP paper. If you have ever had the misfortune to read it, or it’s sister paper the EE, that is very obviously pish. He cited the fact that Alex Salmond and some other ex (disgruntled) SNP advisor had columns as proof.