BBC bias

10 hours ago, Antlion said:

Why is loose political union that allows members to retain sovereign statehood bad, but deep political union which denies members sovereign statehood  good?

Because, for me, I feel British more than Scottish.

Simple.

You, I guess feel differently, and nothing wrong with that.

We can argue for ever about prosperity, economics etc.,etc. but it is how you feel  that counts.

10 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Funny thing is, it doesn’t matter from which political perspective you come from, you can always find bias.

I am a staunch unionist Brexiteer and the treatment Brexit received from the BBC was outrageous.

Every political programme was heavily weighted towards the anti Brexit cause and statistics have since proven that to be undoubtedly correct and the BBC has indeed since apologised.

Regarding Sturgeon, I would say she’s had a very easy ride especially from the Scottish media who allow her a regular free ride most days.

The point I’m trying to make is that it’s not all one sided.

I'd like to see these statistics and that apology please. I seriously doubt that every political progeam was heavily weighted against brexit. 

I can see that there could be reasons why more good arguments were presented against than for. That would be due to the fact that there really weren't many good arguments for it. 

14 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Simple.

We can argue for ever about prosperity, economics etc.,etc. but it is how you feel  that counts.

That’s fair enough - but it doesn’t explain championing Brexit. The European Union had nothing to do with national identity. 

2 minutes ago, Antlion said:

That’s fair enough - but it doesn’t explain championing Brexit. The European Union had nothing to do with national identity. 

I think for a lot of people it did though. 

There's a general theme of hurt pride that the ruler of the waves had to do things that the French wanted, like give staff holidays. 

There was also the "ever closer union" thing that got them all upset about a united states of Europe. 

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think for a lot of people it did though. 

There's a general theme of hurt pride that the ruler of the waves had to do things that the French wanted, like give staff holidays. 

There was also the "ever closer union" thing that got them all upset about a united states of Europe. 

That’s a long - and sadly probably accurate - way of saying “xenophobia and racism”...

14 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You know what angers me about that, well the event does too, but several times since then whilst appealing on panel shows Robinson has said in an incredibly smarmy tone that 'Salmond objected to being robustly questioned', absolute fucking shite, Salmond and the people of Scotland objected to bare faced fucking lies being told is what happened.  Would love someone to pull him up about that. They've created a false narrative around it.

Cringe.

12 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Funny thing is, it doesn’t matter from which political perspective you come from, you can always find bias.

I am a staunch unionist Brexiteer and the treatment Brexit received from the BBC was outrageous.

Every political programme was heavily weighted towards the anti Brexit cause and statistics have since proven that to be undoubtedly correct and the BBC has indeed since apologised.

Regarding Sturgeon, I would say she’s had a very easy ride especially from the Scottish media who allow her a regular free ride most days.

The point I’m trying to make is that it’s not all one sided.

Don't bother. Sensible posts aren't tolerated here by some of the more deranged posters. You either join the cult or get a constant barrage of unhinged Nationalists talking birthday caird delusional pish at you. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I'd like to see these statistics and that apology please. I seriously doubt that every political progeam was heavily weighted against brexit. 

I can see that there could be reasons why more good arguments were presented against than for. That would be due to the fact that there really weren't many good arguments for it. 

Now apply that logic to Scottish Independence and that's half the battle. 

Funnily enough now do so for the same for the Tories safe analysis versus the ineptitude of any single political group in opposition and their attack lines and you might start to get it. 

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Simple.

That's fine I've got no problem with that, its a perfectly legitimate position to take. I just wish more unionists would be as honest.

That makes you a British nationalist, which is again fine that's a legitimate thing to be, but in Scotland about 80% of people 82% I think identify as Scottish not British. So its very much a minority view here.  In actual fact in the whole UK the only places where British identity is not a minority view are London and the unionist bits of NI.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's fine I've got no problem with that, its a perfectly legitimate position to take. I just wish more unionists would be as honest.

That makes you a British nationalist, which is again fine that's a legitimate thing to be, but in Scotland about 80% of people 82% I think identify as Scottish not British. So its very much a minority view here.  In actual fact in the whole UK the only places where British identity is not a minority view are London and the unionist bits of NI.

Someone come get their da...

Can't wait for the hot takes when Andrew Marr asks a question that doesn't suit the dear leader.

I doubt he will though as he is quite a toothless interviewer, especially when it comes to Nicola and previous occasions. 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Now apply that logic to Scottish Independence and that's half the battle. 

Funnily enough now do so for the same for the Tories safe analysis versus the ineptitude of any single political group in opposition and their attack lines and you might start to get it. 

As has been mentioned a number of times, many people's issue was that interviews and statements were completely misrepresented, if not lied about entirely - not that there wasn't enough feel good news stories. Those are completely different things. 

Also, that many issues with independence were reported on, and when subsequently shown to be incorrect, either remained unchanged, or the retraction / apology so well buried as to be pointless 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Someone come get their da...

Even ten years ago at the last census (a fairly reputable source, I'd argue), over 60% of people living in Scotland described themselves as Scottish only. Fewer than 10% said British only and fewer than 20% said both Scottish and British.  Recent polling (including the one today in the Sunday Times) suggests that the proportion of people describing themselves as Scottish only is now even higher. @Dawson Park Boy and yourself have completely valid views on what you feel is your national identity, but the evidence is that those who feel only British are in the minority in Scotland and has been for at least a decade. I don't think this is controversial.

11 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Even ten years ago at the last census (a fairly reputable source, I'd argue), over 60% of people living in Scotland described themselves as Scottish only. Fewer than 10% said British only and fewer than 20% said both Scottish and British.  Recent polling (including the one today in the Sunday Times) suggests that the proportion of people describing themselves as Scottish only is now even higher. @Dawson Park Boy and yourself have completely valid views on what you feel is your national identity, but the evidence is that those who feel only British are in the minority in Scotland and has been for at least a decade. I don't think this is controversial.

I don't think it's controversial either..? 

I don't feel only British myself..

36 minutes ago, madwullie said:

As has been mentioned a number of times, many people's issue was that interviews and statements were completely misrepresented, if not lied about entirely - not that there wasn't enough feel good news stories. Those are completely different things

Also, that many issues with independence were reported on, and when subsequently shown to be incorrect, either remained unchanged, or the retraction / apology so well buried as to be pointless 

Of course. 

I'm referring to one type of complaint and you're explaining a different type of complaint.

I'd be interested to see some examples of things the BBC got wrong regarding Independence reporting, I'm not surprised either when any news outlet posts their apologies in the small print either. 

11 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Yes, you are probably correct.

When I’m in America, and when people ask where I’m from, I initially say Scottish, so that they can relate to the accent, and also that they have a geographical idea of where in the UK I’m from. 
From their  point of view, they don’t realise that there are 4 nations making up the UK but see  Scotland as a region like Yorkshire , Cornwall, etc.

Similarly, when I speak to Americans in the Uk, and I ask them where they’re from, they’ll say Florida, Michigan, whatever.

14 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I'd be interested to see some examples of things the BBC got wrong regarding Independence reporting, I'm not surprised either when any news outlet posts their apologies in the small print either. 

Well, the classic as previously mentioned on this thread was the infamous Nick Robinson incident. He asked Salmond a question at a hustings and Salmond gave a full, in depth reply with considerable detail.

On the news report that night that was edited out of existence and Robinson claimed that he (Salmond) "Didn't answer". 

That was a lie. It was propaganda and as the BBC complaints procedure investigates itself as judge, jury and executioner, no complaint was upheld.

As I said, the BBC can get itself the f**k.

7 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

Well, the classic as previously mentioned on this thread was the infamous Nick Robinson incident. He asked Salmond a question at a hustings and Salmond gave a full, in depth reply with considerable detail.

On the news report that night that was edited out of existence and Robinson claimed that he (Salmond) "Didn't answer". 

That was a lie. It was propaganda and as the BBC complaints procedure investigates itself as judge, jury and executioner, no complaint was upheld.

^

This, this, this and this.

I'll never, ever forget that moment when Robinson claimed that Salmond didn't answer.

23 minutes ago, speckled tangerine said:

Okay so an isolated mistake, not propaganda...that would be annoying right enough but it doesn't scream institutional bias on a wide scale does it?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/25/the-guardian-view-on-alex-salmond-versus-nick-robinson-political-not-personal

Interesting article loosely on that subject. Nick Robinson like Neil Lennon getting saved by the mob storming at the gates and demanding he goes lol.