BBC bias

Eric Cantona is probably most famous for a kung fu kick on a fan.  That does mean it was the only thing he ever did and he would still be regarded as famous if it had not happened.

Lots of footballers have goals or games or other things that they are most famous for without it being the only thing they ever did.

Ask most people what they remember about Diego Maradona and see if any forget to mention that game against England.

Edited by Fullerene

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Eric Cantona is probably most famous for a kung fu kick on a fan.  That does mean it was the only thing he ever did and he would still be regarded as famous if it had not happened.

Lots of footballers have goals or games or other things that they are most famous for without it being the only thing they ever did.

Ask most people what they remember about Diego Maradona and see if any forget to mention that game against England.

Wikipedia seems to suggest he might be better known for his time at Napoli and Barcelona, 95 caps, 36 International goals and captaining his side to a world cup win. They do mention two goals against England but to suggest that's what he's best known for is nuts. It might be what first comes to mind for most Brits but we're not all that significant globally. 

34 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Wikipedia seems to suggest he might be better known for his time at Napoli and Barcelona, 95 caps, 36 International goals and captaining his side to a world cup win. They do mention two goals against England but to suggest that's what he's best known for is nuts. It might be what first comes to mind for most Brits but we're not all that significant globally. 

Zlatan Ibrahimović is famous for scoring with a sensational overhead kick from way out that ended up in the net.  Can't recall who the opposing team was.  It doesn't matter.  Also, it is not the only time he did anything amazing but it was spectacular - regardless of who else was there to make up the numbers.

Maradona played in a memorable World Cup game that included the "Hand of God" goal and another goal regarded by many as "the Goal of the Century".  It would have been just as memorable and noteworthy if the opposing team had been Denmark, Spain or Brazil.

Yes, Maradona had a great career at Napoli and Barcelona but neither of these were on the World Stage in the same way as the World Cup.

You are all trying to up the importance of England.  They weren't that important.  In other parts of the world, people will talk about those two famous World Cup goals he scored even if they can't remember who Argentina were playing on the day.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

You'll never beat this one though.

i genuinely just burst out laughing at that, its pretty much the same tone/spirit as asking something like "why does Jeremy Corbyn make the baby Jesus cry"

come to think of it, shamelessly stealing NotThePars patter here but

"shouldn't it be Moses?"

image.png.694a8d51bd560f5eafb3e0a9ba4d4e26.png

i genuinely just burst out laughing at that, its pretty much the same tone/spirit as asking something like "why does Jeremy Corbyn make the baby Jesus cry"

come to think of it, shamelessly stealing NotThePars patter here but
"shouldn't it be Moses?"
image.png.694a8d51bd560f5eafb3e0a9ba4d4e26.png

That’s one of the best sketches in British comedy. Laser focused. Harry and Paul are so class.

Laugh like a drain every time this gets posted -

51 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Bellamy's People is just about the best thing ever made. Felix Dexter was the funniest man on television.

Keep meaning to get all of their work together and binge it sometime. It's so consistently funny.

This does me in as well and is maybe the only time I've laughed with Nigel Farage? 

Spoiler

Tell a lie the Belgium clip is funny in spite of everything

"Parking pa-taweyo

Parking pa-taweyo"

Some of the finest use of voiceover around, lines paraphrased a bit but generally along the effect of "Are you going to apply some discretion and not give the man a ticket, Parking Pataweyo?"

Parking Pataweyo: *shakes head slowly with a broad pursed lip smile in a no gesture*

17 hours ago, Fullerene said:

When I think of Cantona I think of his sublime talent, his chest puffed out and his1996 cup final goal. I would contend that only those with but a passing acquaintance of the game would firstly recall a single disjoint. See Jimmy Johnstone.

Most people where exactly? The assertion wasn't about an item on a recall list, it was about single No1 hit parade event.

The BBC output from Glasgow didn't claim the "game", they specifically referenced the first goal and I'm not really sure* what mindset allowed them to think that was reasonable.

*I can have a good guess

Untitled.png.2d4f57e6c36c9bcb9d73cbc05f75839d.png

And this line I noticed in Dave Prowse's obituary at the weekend...

Untitled2.png.882cc483623dfa4139f2018c1de9e71d.png

What relevance does these people being British have? Is it a desperate scramble for relevance from whoever wrote it or a directive to try and make Britishness seem important and world-defining again ahead of next January?

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Untitled.png.2d4f57e6c36c9bcb9d73cbc05f75839d.png

And this line I noticed in Dave Prowse's obituary at the weekend...

Untitled2.png.882cc483623dfa4139f2018c1de9e71d.png

What relevance does these people being British have? Is it a desperate scramble for relevance from whoever wrote it or a directive to try and make Britishness seem important and world-defining again ahead of next January?

In all fairness they are simply pointing out that Anthony Daniels was the same nationality as David Prowse.

Star Wars would not be a great choice for displaying British acting. 

Alec Guinness was a great actor who later regretted starring in the film - "I got tired of people asking me to say 'may the force with you'. You know I did star in other films too".

The other five British actors that spring to mind were all heavily disguised and in most cases had been chosen because they were the right size for the costume.

5 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Alec Guinness was a great actor who later regretted starring in the film - "I got tired of people asking me to say 'may the force with you'. You know I did star in other films too".

Should be grateful people weren’t responding to everything he said with, “that’s your opinion ... big boy.”

4DD1CADA-54BF-42ED-84D4-F98D43CAAC83.jpeg

On 02/12/2020 at 23:24, Miguel Sanchez said:

Oh hold on, I've just found a better one on the actual sport homepage rather than the sidebar to a football story the above came from

Untitled3.png.6605a1212432db4c872f0ea2e18241b4.png

He's not just British, people think he's good!

I'll leave it at half a dozen......