BBC bias

15 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The new 'social media rules' are nothing more than the right wing coup that the Tory media have been screaming for, for years now. 

Normal, decent things such as diversity, inclusion and equal rights are now being pigeon-holed as controversial and biased, and as such BBC journalists are forbidden from expressing support. 

It should chill us all that the new DG of the BBC believes that LGBT and Pride marches are 'controversial events', due to 'growing opposition to trans rights from politicians and the media'.

This is horrific stuff. 

It's hard to tell whether they actually want the bbc to be like this or whether it's a ploy to turn the left against it. 

i dont mind brian taylor, not least for the .gif when he was exasperated at technology failing him on one of the election nights.

I'm sure I've seen the odd article with his name attached which I wouldn't say was Pro SNP or full on SNP BAD, more him trying to go into depth on why Labour were/are collapsing so spectacularly under Fundilimundilimurphy/Dugdale

edit: found this after a quick google

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50766399

"In which regard, the Tories entered this election in Scotland, declaring their aim to stop indyref2.

They lost seats. The SNP entered this election saying, in part, that they wanted a referendum by the end of 2020. They gained seats. The momentum is with the SNP. Consider it the other way round. What if the SNP had lost seats? Their opponents would have declared the end of indyref2."

Nothing too controversial, just a little bit of a willingness to do a bit of "shoe on the other foot" stuff.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

i dont mind brian taylor, not least for the .gif when he was exasperated at technology failing him on one of the election nights. I'm sure I've seen the odd article with his name attached which I wouldn't say was Pro SNP or full on SNP BAD, more him trying to go into depth on why Labour were/are collapsing so spectacularly under Fundilimundilimurphy/Dugdale

edit: found this after a quick google

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50766399

"In which regard, the Tories entered this election in Scotland, declaring their aim to stop indyref2.

They lost seats. The SNP entered this election saying, in part, that they wanted a referendum by the end of 2020. They gained seats. The momentum is with the SNP. Consider it the other way round. What if the SNP had lost seats? Their opponents would have declared the end of indyref2."

Nothing too controversial, just a little bit of a willingness to do a bit of "shoe on the other foot" stuff.

I always liked Taylor - certainly better than Glenn Campbell. 

If Unionists say he was pro-SNP and Nationalists pro-Union then I think he probably got the balance right.

2 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

Nice to see Brian Taylor retiring. One less SNP mouthpiece. Getting rid of Burnside, Forsyth, O’Neill and Cosgrove also, might just balance things out a little bit. BBC Radio SNP still has long way to go though. 

2A0769D5-7178-41DC-8405-82045076F076.jpeg

Great to see the beeb rolling out loada of experts today getting the uk govs point across as to why a lockdown is happening.

I remember the good old days roughly around 3-4 weeks ago when the rolled out all the tories  telling us that the Welsh gov and circuit breakers were bad when they were mentioned up here

Friday Drivetime: It's worth mentioning (well at least I think it is) that Fiona Stalker spent all of an interview with a union official egging them on to declare that they would take industrial action. The whole thing was as excruciating.

It's more down market than bias and if this is the standard then I fear for them.

What are they doing

I read that story yesterday. I initially thought, this has been framed badly. It's going to turn out this guy is down there offering food and blankets to these people or something. Some sort of human compassion type story with a clumsy headline. Even in an era where the BBC are becoming more and more brazen, this one surprised me.

39 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Does the last decade of giving any sort of attention to fascists indicate this is a good thing to do in the public interest?

More to the point do they mention the various far right links these people have as detailed in that thread & if not, why not?

Listening to the programme on its own he comes over as a paranoid racist with his cloak of well meaning caring the thickness of a cigarette paper that the interviewer flicks away. I'd say he was pretty well exposed without giving his twitter feed any more publicity.

On 30/10/2020 at 13:28, Glen Sannox said:

Nice to see Brian Taylor retiring. One less SNP mouthpiece. Getting rid of Burnside, Forsyth, O’Neill and Cosgrove also, might just balance things out a little bit. BBC Radio SNP still has long way to go though. 

I have always liked Brian Taylors political commentaries and analysis and I knew he was an ardent Arab but had no idea he was an SNP supporter,  a great addirion to the cause and thanks for letting us know.

24 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Sue Mitchell was the producer of the programme.

I'm aware of this, but she didn't do the interviewing.

P.S. I'm going to withhold judgement on Sue Mitchell until I've listened to her podcast series below, which should say more about where she's coming from. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ghxl

Edited by welshbairn