BBC bias

It's also interesting that on the back of the poll yesterday the only article the BBC carried in their politics section was authored by John Curtice. Normally these things are reported and the analysis piece linked in. Strange approach to offer no BBC staffer report on what was, by any measure, a headline in Scottish politics. 

I heard this morning that there is to be another cull with Bill Whiteford and Isabel Fraser amongst those that are shortly going.

There's not all that much that they are leaving behind and for anyone that values the service that they bring, that must be a cause for regret.

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Reporting a ‘no trade deal’ Brexit rather than a ‘no deal Brexit’ is simply one small example.

Ah that's nothing. I remember the good old days where it was referred to as a 'hard Brexit'. You can tell it's coming, as their reference to it has been getting weaker in tone as time has gone on.

I heard this morning that there is to be another cull with Bill Whiteford and Isabel Fraser amongst those that are shortly going.
There's not all that much that they are leaving behind and for anyone that values the service that they bring, that must be a cause for regret.
If so, two big losses - very strong and even handed journalists.

On 17/10/2020 at 00:00, sophia said:

Just saying, don’t take as Gospel.

Possibly from the wrong side of Scotland?

21 hours ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Just saying, don’t take as Gospel.

Possibly from the wrong side of Scotland?

Given that Ken Macdonald is also taking the package, I rather think that your suggestion bears little in the way of substantive scrutiny.

It seems to me that you've had a run of ill fortune in this regard in the very recent past. I wish you better luck in future.

Given that Ken Macdonald is also taking the package, I rather think that your suggestion bears little in the way of substantive scrutiny.
It seems to me that you've had a run of ill fortune in this regard in the very recent past. I wish you better luck in future.
Gordon Brewer and Gillian Marles also taking a package.

Quite the exodus, mind you if I was able to get 2 years salary and I was nearing retirement I'd be tempted too.
Good bit of detail here, including the (intentional) disaster that is the Scottish channel:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newsnights-gordon-brewer-leads-exodus-at-bbc-scotland-3pmfzbh7d
I quite like some of the stuff on the Scottish channel.

Is it generally regarded as a disaster?

And what effect will this exodus have? Politically more open to independence? Or more likely to do what their told by their London overlords?

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

And what effect will this exodus have? Politically more open to independence? Or more likely to do what their told by their London overlords?

The effect is with us already.

Drivetime today ...

7 (seven) minutes on someone called Dominic West kissing Lily James.

Perhaps John Beattie and his production team think this is acceptable.

Me, I'd have thought that there would be various service providers that can provide product that can speculate upon the private lives of celebrities and BBC Scotland would be best served by broadcasting something of at least some merit.

27 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It pisses me off majorly that they don't get space on iplayer. Nine for example is unavailable after broadcast, whereas Newsnight currently has 21 episodes available. I seriously think they've set it up to fail, despite some really good shows and a decent mix of highbrow and potentially popular, if anyone knew what was on. Having it so far down the listings into the shopping channels doesn't help.

Pointed out to me by Mrs. Nosejob and now I notice it every time on BBC News...

“The Labour Welsh Government”, “The Labour Manchester Mayor”, “The SNP Scottish Government/First Minister”

BUT..

“The Prime Minister/Chancellor of the Exchequer/Government”

Party identifiers only used when it’s not Conservative. Has this been going on for a while?

Pointed out to me by Mrs. Nosejob and now I notice it every time on BBC News...
“The Labour Welsh Government”, “The Labour Manchester Mayor”, “The SNP Scottish Government/First Minister”
BUT..
“The Prime Minister/Chancellor of the Exchequer/Government”
Party identifiers only used when it’s not Conservative. Has this been going on for a while?
Is that because they're explain the juxtaposition?

I'm playing devil's advocate here but i think they're giving the British government it's place at the top of the tree - and then pointing our the regional differences (as opposed to showing pro tory bias) .

31 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Is that because they're explain the juxtaposition?

I'm playing devil's advocate here but i think they're giving the British government it's place at the top of the tree - and then pointing our the regional differences (as opposed to showing pro tory bias) .

Could be. Perhaps my political leanings mean I perceive it as an implied suggestion that their objections to the Westminster protocols are simply politically motivated.

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It pisses me off majorly that they don't get space on iplayer. Nine for example is unavailable after broadcast, whereas Newsnight currently has 21 episodes available. I seriously think they've set it up to fail, despite some really good shows and a decent mix of highbrow and potentially popular, if anyone knew what was on. Having it so far down the listings into the shopping channels doesn't help.

Unless I'm missing something it's channel 9 on freeview and 115 on Sky. It can't get much higher up the listings than that.

19 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Unless I'm missing something it's channel 9 on freeview and 115 on Sky. It can't get much higher up the listings than that.

The listings are geographically specific, it should be near the top imo. I usually use Sky and you have to scroll down several pages to find it. In Wales you get S4C where C4 is.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The listings are geographically specific, it should be near the top imo. I usually use Sky and you have to scroll down several pages to find it. In Wales you get S4C where C4 is.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:
2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's high up on virgin media - the 8th channel essentially (108).

It's the 9th on freeview and the 15th on Sky. Hardly into the shopping channels as first claimed.

There's maybe an argument for swapping it with BBC Two but otherwise there's nowhere else it could go. There's a lot that can be improved with on the BBC Scotland channel. It's listing on the programme guides isn't one of them.

22 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

It's the 9th on freeview and the 15th on Sky. Hardly into the shopping channels as first claimed.

There's maybe an argument for swapping it with BBC Two but otherwise there's nowhere else it could go. There's a lot that can be improved with on the BBC Scotland channel. It's listing on the programme guides isn't one of them.

Ch 9 (Freeview) can slither into the Clyde along with the entire Pacific Quay edifice as far as I'm concerned.