BBC bias

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Remember sitting at the bar I think in Cruden Bay or nearby after 10 one night when I was about 15/16, and asked the guy next to me when they were likely to stop serving, and he said I'd be fine so long as he was there. He was the local bobby. True story before that did ye aye dog pops up.

Best Denis Lawson GIFs | Gfycat

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Fairly obviously aimed at Lewis Goodall

I'm assuming this won't apply to the likes of Andrew Neill though.

They are absolutely going to use this to empty someone like Goodall for mildly criticising the government on Twitter or something.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

In the misguided notion the right wing will say "fair enough we don't want to destroy you anymore".

I'd say they have about 10 years left. If Starmer doesn't win the next election they're absolutely done for.

I think it's a fait accompli tbh. In 10 years it will be unrecognizable, either stripped down to just the bare bones educational stuff with a pro government news and radio channel, or punted completely.

Guest Bob Mahelp
27 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

In the misguided notion the right wing will say "fair enough we don't want to destroy you anymore".

I'd say they have about 10 years left. If Starmer doesn't win the next election they're absolutely done for.

I don't think the right wing want to destroy the BBC.

They want to control it. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't think the right wing want to destroy the BBC.

They want to control it. 

They already control it. The BBC lost their bottle after the sexed up dossier incident. I think they want to destroy it and let Murdoch, Fox and their chums take over, probably along with Trump if he loses.

Edited by welshbairn

21 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

yeah I'm sure there will be a thing called the BBC much like there will be a thing called the NHS but underneath it'll just be a bunch of schemes to make tories rich.

They'll call it the Home Service, a few old guys playing jazz and classical music, and a weekly episode of The Archers hunting down illegal immigrants.

Edited by welshbairn

Guest Bob Mahelp

I notice today that The Telegraph....long a defender of the right to free speech and the first to accuse anyone who doesn't agree with their right wing philosophy as being 'woke' or 'leftie'....today has a long article calling for supposed left wing comedians such as Frankie Boyle to be banned from the BBC. 

As pointed out above, if the BBC bends to this pressure (and it looks like it's going to) we'll be left with a UK version of Fox news, Nigel Farage talk shows, and re-runs of Jim Davidson and the 2 Ronnies.

They want to have total control, nothing less. Dangerous times.

41 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Emma Barnett, The new presenter of Woman's Hour was raised by parents with convictions for running brothels and laundering money. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/school-aide-laundered-brothel-cash-946427

We all give the BBC a lot of stick on here but they do occasionally come up with the odd gem.

I see Brian Taylor in retiring from the BBC. Twitter comments to the announcement were 50/50 Tory/SNP b*****d. 

His sole function seemed to be to stop the BBC news becoming pure propaganda, around the time of the 2014 referendum, there was a clip highlighting the method of BBC reporting that followed the same course. 

Headline - Government is really, really incompetent.............that is the view of these people

MP1 - Government is really, really incompetent

MP2 - Government is really, really incompetent

MP3 - Government is really, really incompetent

Government spokesperson - No we aren't

Cut to Brian Taylor outside the Scottish parliament to tell something as close to the truth as possible. 

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It'll still be streamed on the website.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It'll still be streamed on the website.

Oh well that's alright then lol.

This is one of the most disgusting things they've ever done, and they've done some awful things.  What is a public service broadcaster for?  They are beneath contempt.  We are seeing the full might of the British state mobilising against Scottish independence, its 2014 all over again.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

The BBC are doubling down on our public life and culture.

They have reported that students have been left in limbo due to the ballet school closure in Taynuilt.

57 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Oh well that's alright then lol.

This is one of the most disgusting things they've ever done, and they've done some awful things.  What is a public service broadcaster for?  They are beneath contempt.  We are seeing the full might of the British state mobilising against Scottish independence, its 2014 all over again.

Cmon, they have a duty to provide balance. Why don't we have a daily briefing on behalf of Covid19?

Just now, welshbairn said:

Cmon, they have a duty to provide balance. Why don't we have a daily briefing on behalf of Covid19?

When you have to resort to deflection its cause you know you're wrong. 

What other country in the world would find itself in a situation where a public service broadcaster you are forced to pay for under threat of imprisonment refuses to broadcast public health statements by the democratically elected leader during a pandemic?  People will die because of this, and they don't care. Nicola is getting too popular so its pulled, what difference does a few extra dead people make.  Its disgusting.

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

When you have to resort to deflection its cause you know you're wrong. 

What other country in the world would find itself in a situation where a public service broadcaster you are forced to pay for under threat of imprisonment refuses to broadcast public health statements by the democratically elected leader during a pandemic?  People will die because of this, and they don't care. Nicola is getting too popular so its pulled, what difference does a few extra dead people make.  Its disgusting.

Actually, it has begun to be a bit awkward.

Fiona Hyslop made some overt political points recently and in the face of shallow fishing questions by journalists, the first minister has had to say things like "borrowing powers".

The gray man that provided the Falkland War bulletins is not the answer but I do think there needs to be change of some sort.