BBC bias

As a BBC defender for the most part I accept that Kirsty Wark and Sarah Smith hate the SNP with a swivelled eyed passion. That travesty of a programme last night makes me think its more personal than political though, otherwise they would have gone for the SNP conspiracy angle rather than stitching up a has been who was found not guilty. Not sure if the old BBC line of holding the centre line of British opinion and defending its institutions really washes anymore if they're trashing the jury system.

Edited by welshbairn

The BBC booking yet another cretin 😂

Editor: Did you find someone ?

Researcher: Yes, but he's currently awaiting sentencing for fucking dogs.

Editor: Book him.

Researcher: bb-but he literally fucks d..

Editor: BOOK HIM. WE NEED BALANCED VIEWS FROM ACROSS THE SPECTRUM.

Different kind of BBC bias perhaps, but interesting to note that almost on a daily basis now, the headline from BBC 1 (nationwide) news is to describe the Scottish Government's latest responses to Covid-19 and then asking why Westminster isn't following suit.

Seems like they're slowly beginning to grasp that there might be some merit in Scotland having its own Parliament.

I don't like the BBC's newspaper review – I see it essentially as a method of amplifying right-wing headlines to a much larger audience, though you could always argue it's just reflecting what newspapers say. But today the BBC has gone a step further by promoting the views of a right-wing blogger in its review. Can't see how that isn't bias of the most blatant kind, both in the message it conveys (good old Vera Lynn, long live Land of Hope and Glory) but also by promoting the views of a single person.

That and the fact that IT ISN"T A F***ING newspaper.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 08.41.30.png

Edited by Mr Heliums

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

I don't like the BBC's newspaper review – I see it essentially as a method of amplifying right-wing headlines to a much larger audience, though you could always argue it's just reflecting what newspapers say. But today the BBC has gone a step further by promoting the views of a right-wing blogger in its review. Can't see how that isn't bias of the most blatant kind, both in the message it conveys (good old Vera Lynn, long live Land of Hope and Glory) but also by promoting the views of a single person.

Even if it was in a newspaper that actually gets (at least sort of) regulated, treating that as newsworthy is bizarre in itself. Unless I'm missing something and the newspaper review regularly does that "last item is a jokey thing" they do on Question Time.

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

BBC Breakfast's newspapers roundup (which I assume is the same as the one you've linked here) has occasionally included Buzzfeed and the Huffington Post over the past few months.

Maybe I'm just having a bad week – and this moan isn't strictly political or restricted to the BBC – but I always sense an implicit racism in the frequent stories about trials abroad involving British subjects. There's almost always a strong implication of innocence, as if foreign courts couldn't be trusted and Britons are always honest.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 09.43.01.png

Just now, Mr Heliums said:

Maybe I'm just having a bad week – and this moan isn't strictly political or restricted to the BBC – but I always sense an implicit racism in the frequent stories about trials abroad involving British subjects. There's almost always a strong implication of innocence, as if foreign courts couldn't be trusted and Britons are always honest.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 09.43.01.png

Indeed.  Just like British football fans who get caught up in hooliganism were always targeted by officious police.  

14 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Harry Maguire seems a decent bloke, he may or may not be genuinely guilty, I simply don't know. However,  I can't imagine that if I were convicted of assault, bribery etc in Greece that the BBC and the media in general would allow me the opportunity to appear on national television and state my innocence without any effective challenge. It smacks of MUFC corporate PR and spin and the media is playing along because it suits their lust for a big story. Then there is the clear, xenophobic insinuation that foreign justice isn't up to the same standards as we have here.

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

I think it would be reported very differently now than it would have been 12 months ago.

Sterling seems to be down-to-Earth enough not to get involved in scenarios like this.  He just gets hounded for buying his mum stuff.

40 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

A selection of other people who buy things for their mums. note at the right of the photo is someone who doesn't buy things for their mum.

The man behind the festival that 'united the African Diaspora' - BBC News

Those phones look expensive.   It’s a disgrace.

Your garden idiot from Coventry that was arrested for being a dick in Kavos wouldn't be afforded such privileges as a PR puff piece like Maguire has had. That he's an England International naturally means his arrest carries a greater amount of attention, but save he should save his pleas for the appeal judge rather than embark upon a PR campaign. 

Someone else has already said it - client journalism. Release a statement through your lawyer protesting your innocence and be done with it.