BBC bias

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-53435297

BBC pay actors to dramatise the Scottish care home fiasco. Before I go off on one is there a good reason for doing this and do the BBC also do this for other UK wide issues?

I'd expect that to be no more than actors voicing comments from those working in care homes who don't want to be identified in case they get the tin tack for speaking out. 

I'd expect that to be no more than actors voicing comments from those working in care homes who don't want to be identified in case they get the tin tack for speaking out. 
Depends who they are attacking - given previous hatchet jobs I would trust them as far as I could throw them.

John Beattie and puff pieces on the BBC radio show he hosts in his avuncular, innocent abroad style...

Last week, Matthew Pincent, today Joanna Lumley. Both pieces played out in a familiar way, some banter about them being in some way Scottish and the political better together coup de gras.

It's almost as if it is rehearsed.

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 hours ago, sophia said:

John Beattie and puff pieces on the BBC radio show he hosts in his avuncular, innocent abroad style...

Last week, Matthew Pincent, today Joanna Lumley. Both pieces played out in a familiar way, some banter about them being in some way Scottish and the political better together coup de gras.

It's almost as if it is rehearsed.

Beattie is an SRU man and a pretty committed Unionist. I always get the feeling from him that he's stumbling around trying to be a hard-nosed, professional journalist and his way of making his mark is to make political points in a kind of 'that's who I am and to hell with everyone else' type of way. 

He plays the jolly japer, but I suspect that just under the surface is a burning hatred of the Yes movement. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Ftfy

To be honest, I quite like Beattie's interviewing style and his TV persona. 

There's no doubt though that he's another one in a long line of Scottish TV presenters who work for the BBC and do little to hide their disdain of independence. Nicky Campbell is the obvious one who comes instantly to mind. 

49 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Nicky Campbell is the obvious one who comes instantly to mind. 

It's the deliberate change of the accent that grates on me.

I know some people can't help it if they've been in England or elsewhere for a long time.

But theres a distinct Scottish media accent that seems designed to signal "I'm a wee bit Scottish, for a bit of colour, but not too much. I'm totally house-trained, me".

Laura Kuenssberg, she's another one. I've never met a single person in my life who talks like that. And I've been to Edinburgh!

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

There's no doubt though that he's another one in a long line of Scottish TV presenters who work for the BBC and do little to hide their disdain of independence. Nicky Campbell is the obvious one who comes instantly to mind. 
And Sarah Smith. And Kaye Adams. And Neil Oliver. There's quite a queue of them at the BBC. I've no problem with people being appointed on merit whatever their politics, but there is currently little evidence that BBC Scotland represents the political tone of this nation.

I know some people can't help it if they've been in England or elsewhere for a long time.
But theres a distinct Scottish media accent that seems designed to signal "I'm a wee bit Scottish, for a bit of colour, but not too much. I'm totally house-trained, me".
Laura Kuenssberg, she's another one. I've never met a single person in my life who talks like that. And I've been to Edinburgh!
Bizarre but true. Michael Gove is from Aberdeen.

Personally think he is droll and awful, would put you to sleep, but that's just my opinion I guess

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

I think Laura went to Hutchie Grammar, and having met and lived with others who went there, can confirm that’s probably just how she talks.

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't really get a vibe of hostility to independence from John Beattie tbh. He may well have unionist sympathies but he's pretty even handed when it comes to that sort of thing on his shows in my opinion.

I had a quick google to put a face to the name, agree with that. I'm not keen on Kaye Adams who I've always been convinced is a firm toe-the-party-line type.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think Laura went to Hutchie Grammar, and having met and lived with others who went there, can confirm that’s probably just how she talks.

You might well be right. In which case it's the last time I'm going to the West End.

Apart from the obligatory  pre-match cocktails and improv theatre next time the Accies play Thistle. 

(Sorry couldn't resist. 😉)

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I don't really get a vibe of hostility to independence from John Beattie tbh. He may well have unionist sympathies but he's pretty even handed when it comes to that sort of thing on his shows in my opinion.

Indeed he is and it was within the last couple of weeks that he immediately called out an snp bad stat from a contributor.

The contributor wasn't a politician but certainly had an agenda so kudos to him for having done the prep and having the correct stat to hand.

However, the Pincent and Lumley interviews were as jarringly odd as they were redolent of David Bowie's ill considered interjection in 2014

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
6 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I'm pretty sure she went to Park School in the West End. Carol Smillie attended Hutchie.

I think she did but the "Laurel Park merger" closed in 2002 and they became part of Hutchies which might explain the different posts.