BBC bias

58 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The difficulty is that menopausal women will tune in to watch Jeremy Vine because they know him off Radio 2, whereas nobody's heard of Samira Ahmed. Maybe unfair, but that's showbiz.

We all know that that the particular construction of Samira and Ahmed prevents many the opportunity to hear Samira Ahmed

10 minutes ago, sophia said:

We all know that that the particular construction of Samira and Ahmed prevents many the opportunity to hear Samira Ahmed

A lot off this kicked off with Carrie Gracie, BBC's woman in Beijing, getting paid far less than Jon Sopel, BBC's man in Washington. Gracie worked in a far more difficult environment, needed fluent Mandarin and good contacts in a place where paranoia is rife, but could go to any London restaurant, shop or pub and no one would recognise her, or say "you're her off the news aren't you?". I watch the news all the time, and I can't remember seeing her. Jon Sopel will be recognised all the time because there's an update from Washington every night. Far easier job, but much less privacy. Famous people get paid more, not sure what you can do about that. 

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A lot off this kicked off with Carrie Gracie, BBC's woman in Beijing, getting paid far less than Jon Sopel, BBC's man in Washington. Gracie worked in a far more difficult environment, needed fluent Mandarin and good contacts in a place where paranoia is rife, but could go to any London restaurant, shop or pub and no one would recognise her, or say "you're her off the news aren't you?". I watch the news all the time, and I can't remember seeing her. Jon Sopel will be recognised all the time because there's an update from Washington every night. Far easier job, but much less privacy. Famous people get paid more, not sure what you can do about that. 

Based on Carrie Gracie's return to the BBC and afternoon news reading she shouldn't have been paid anything. Every day I'd watch around 12-2 PM, every day she'd be on there barely able to read an autocue without stuttering.

13 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Based on Carrie Gracie's return to the BBC and afternoon news reading she shouldn't have been paid anything. Every day I'd watch around 12-2 PM, every day she'd be on there barely able to read an autocue without stuttering.

Maybe it should have been in Mandarin.

Dunno, do you think someone's fame dictates their pay, at least in terms of salary bands and that? I don't know the answer but would be very surprised if it was, would throw up all kinds of other equal pay issues for non broadcast staff.
If your fame ups the ratings, as well as fucking up your private life, I think you deserve a bonus. Soviet writers, if approved, used to get paid by the word so they would just weigh the published work and pay accordingly. Sure the famous ones got backhanders and privileges on top though. Meant for a load of very lengthy and turgid novels though, and very PC.

On 11/01/2020 at 17:47, welshbairn said:
On 11/01/2020 at 08:32, MixuFixit said:

Dunno, do you think someone's fame dictates their pay, at least in terms of salary bands and that? I don't know the answer but would be very surprised if it was, would throw up all kinds of other equal pay issues for non broadcast staff.

If your fame ups the ratings, as well as fucking up your private life, I think you deserve a bonus. Soviet writers, if approved, used to get paid by the word so they would just weigh the published work and pay accordingly. Sure the famous ones got backhanders and privileges on top though. Meant for a load of very lengthy and turgid novels though, and very PC.

Do you watch  the news because a certain correspondent is on?

11 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Do you watch  the news because a certain correspondent is on?

I tend to avoid it if certain presenters are on, like Kirsty Wark on Newsnight, or Justin Webb on the Today programme on Radio 4.

Contrasting views on the weekends protests . In Iran protests show the people of Iran have had enough of their current regime, and should be supported in their quest for change.
In Scotland, well, it's cold and wet.

34 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51106796

UK government reject 'Sturgeons demand'.

Is it Sturgeons demand or is it a request for basic democracy as voted for in numerous elections by Scottish voters?

The BBC, like the UK Government, has moved sharply to the political right in recent years, and it is now dutifully fulfilling its role as the State broadcaster; as such it will pull every lever it has to skew public opinion in the direction of Government policy whilst simultaneously sidelining Scottish aspirations for independence.

What will be interesting is to see how far it's Scottish branch office in Pacific Quay kowtows to this line - will they prove to be North Britons or Scots ?

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51106796

UK government reject 'Sturgeons demand'.

Is it Sturgeons demand or is it a request for basic democracy as voted for in numerous elections by Scottish voters?

Followed the trail of hyperlinks there - found this interesting in the Beeb article featuring the "once in a generation" quote attributed to Salmond:

"In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, this is a once in a generation opportunity for Scotland." - Alex Salmond

Any talk from anybody - whoever they may be - of any result being "once in a generation" as if "welp, that's all folks, show's over for the next 50 years" is a load of shite, and at best a side issue to the question of "Should Scotland hold a referendum to determine if there is sufficient desire post 2014 to now become an independent country?" and whether there's been sufficient material change in circumstance. Simply going "NO SEE BECAUSE A FEW PEOPLE SAID THAT 2014 WAS A ONCE IN A GENERATION CHANCE, SO YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANOTHER ONE BECAUSE OF THAT" isn't a credible point of argument.

In fact if anything the quote by its nature has become a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that Salmond's quote is made accurate but only because of Tory intransigence toward agreeing to the Section 30 order.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The BBC, like the UK Government, has moved sharply to the political right in recent years, and it is now dutifully fulfilling its role as the State broadcaster; as such it will pull every lever it has to skew public opinion in the direction of Government policy whilst simultaneously sidelining Scottish aspirations for independence.

What will be interesting is to see how far it's Scottish branch office in Pacific Quay kowtows to this line - will they prove to be North Britons or Scots ?

From what I've gleaned so far from their recent news programmes they've already nailed their unionist colours firmly to the mast.

Followed the trail of hyperlinks there - found this interesting in the Beeb article featuring the "once in a generation" quote attributed to Salmond:
"In my opinion, and it is just my opinion, this is a once in a generation opportunity for Scotland." - Alex Salmond
Any talk from anybody - whoever they may be - of any result being "once in a generation" as if "welp, that's all folks, show's over for the next 50 years" is a load of shite, and at best a side issue to the question of "Should Scotland hold a referendum to determine if there is sufficient desire post 2014 to now become an independent country?" and whether there's been sufficient material change in circumstance. Simply going "NO SEE BECAUSE A FEW PEOPLE SAID THAT 2014 WAS A ONCE IN A GENERATION CHANCE, SO YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANOTHER ONE BECAUSE OF THAT" isn't a credible point of argument.
In fact if anything the quote by its nature has become a self-fulfilling prophecy, in that Salmond's quote is made accurate but only because of Tory intransigence toward agreeing to the Section 30 order.
It's calculated; this "promise" of once in a generation lie being put out there shall sink into the psyche of those unable or unwilling to critically think, and before a ball is even kicked you've numpties frothing that wee nippy can't keep to a promise.

there was a declassified article about how the UK government funded foreign propaganda via the BBC the other day.

There's  evidence that the UK security services have used the media over many years.   The fake "spontaneous" messaging after Terror Attacks etc. The idea there is zero leverage now over issues like the Scotland remaining part of the UK is insane.

That doesn't mean every criticism of the Scottish Government/Indy is a plot right enough.

4 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The expressions on Jo Cockburn's face today on the Politics Live show whenever Ian Blackford opened his mouth, looked like he was something nasty she'd just picked up on the soul of her shoe.

This can't be right. She doesn't have a soul.