BBC bias

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The usual shite reporting by the BBC on Boris's "win" in the Scottish courts - he didn't win - they just decided (rightly) that they can't rule on something that hasn't happened yet.

The law as it stands does not need to be applied - only if there is No Deal does it apply.

BBC’s reporting would need to improve significantly before it could classified as shite.

Shameless plug:

Professor John Robertson has been instrumental in documenting and exposing the bias in BBC Scotland’s coverage of all things independence in the lead up to the 2014 independence referendum. Since then Professor Robertson has continued to monitor, document and reveal the tricks used by BBC Scotland to manipulate news coverage to misinform and misdirect Scottish viewers.

distorting-scotland.jpg?w=640&h=853

On Sunday 3rd November Professor Robertson will be our special guest for a talk entitled “Distorting Scotland” where he will examine the BBC’s own coverage to show how its coverage of Scottish NHS issues is being used to wage a proxy war on the Scottish Government and Scottish independence. This will be followed by an audience question and answer session where you can put your questions directly to Professor Robertson.

The talk will take place in the One Wellwynd Centre, 35 Wellwynd, Airdrie, ML6 0BN from 12.30pm until 2.30pm. Admission is free, although donations towards the costs of the hall are welcome. There is car parking and disabled access available.

You can read some of Professor Robertson’s work at the following links:

Fairness in the First Year

Inform Scotland

Talking-Up Scotland

Twitter: @ProfJWR

Shameless plug:

[/url]

Professor John Robertson has been instrumental in documenting and exposing the bias in BBC Scotland’s coverage of all things independence in the lead up to the 2014 independence referendum. Since then Professor Robertson has continued to monitor, document and reveal the tricks used by BBC Scotland to manipulate news coverage to misinform and misdirect Scottish viewers.

distorting-scotland.jpg?w=640%26h=853&key=e895bee52076a7ff0907b3fc13d0adba2f23a6a5e52f63ea0fe02e3159b9d26c

On Sunday 3rd November Professor Robertson will be our special guest for a talk entitled “Distorting Scotland” where he will examine the BBC’s own coverage to show how its coverage of Scottish NHS issues is being used to wage a proxy war on the Scottish Government and Scottish independence. This will be followed by an audience question and answer session where you can put your questions directly to Professor Robertson.

The talk will take place in the One Wellwynd Centre, 35 Wellwynd, Airdrie, ML6 0BN from 12.30pm until 2.30pm. Admission is free, although donations towards the costs of the hall are welcome. There is car parking and disabled access available.

You can read some of Professor Robertson’s work at the following links:

Fairness in the First Year

Inform Scotland

Talking-Up Scotland

Twitter: @ProfJWR

Not sure anyone who appears on RT can really talk about media bias without an enormous sense of irony.

There's a female reporter on Radio Scotland who often puts on a plummy anglicised accent, similar to the sort you'd hear other Uncle Tams* do back in the day.

*Scottish version of an uncle tom

On 12/10/2019 at 16:45, Savage Henry said:

We all know RT have their own agenda. No one could dispute that. But then RT is the only place that will give this academic a fair hearing.

It's pretty serious state of affairs for this country when people with serious academic credentials and legitimate criticisms are being censored out by a UK media that does not like to hear what they have to  say. True pravdaesque behaviour.

But then the BBC current affairs and indeed the wider UK msm in general, are propaganda past masters. They are that good and subtle that most folk don't even realise they are being hoodwinked.

I don't understand why he wouldn't want to have that particular work published regardless.

Some academics can’t see the back of publishing quick enough.

It’s a drawn out process (especially in Humanities & Social Sciences) and actually many of them stop publishing in journals towards the end of their careers, there is a tendency to go towards books, though I can only speak about Humanities and Social Science which is more my area.

If he’s reached the level of Professor then he will have a solid background of academic research and publication. These are pretty much central to the criteria for academic promotion. That’s not to say we know the stuff he is saying now is 100%, but it’s likely it is probably well-researched and founded.

ETA: If he has gone down the book route then it’s perfectly possible that he may be waiting on acceptance/publication. Those can take 5-6 or more years to go through in some cases.

Don't buy that. Credibility doubts swirl around anyone going on RT, and his BBC/STV bias work is the only reason any of us folk know his name. Properly publishing it through a prestige academic house would have put that to bed years ago, instead he gets treated as an eccentric crank outside hard yes circles.

Take someone like Nigel Biggar or Niall Ferguson. Both Professors, both ghastly unethical charlatans protected by tenure. Titles alone don't mean much.

That might be the only reason we know his name but tbh academics don’t always have a lot of impact outside of academia. His record and standing amongst those in his field probably matters more.

Anyway, I am not trying to say he is or isn’t a trusted source or charlatan, I really don’t know. I was only trying to show that not publishing after retirement despite still doing research is far from unusual.

Sure, amongst those who don't still seek to make a contribution in their field.

No, that’s what I mean. Plenty still do research and contribute to their field yet do not publish. Especially not in journals. It is not at all uncommon.

I'm sure some Professors spend most of their time teaching rather than publishing, research and gaining name recognition, and after retiring would find it fun if invited onto RT to share their thoughts. Nothing wrong with that. As I suggested on another thread, and @Jambomo was kind enough to offer to do, was to ask him whether the BBC sent any more FOI requests to Scottish health authorities than to English ones, and whether there were less or more positive or negative news stories published as a result of the answers. 

Yeah. It just seems to me that this is incurring an unacceptably high credibility cost that is easily remedied if his analysis is robust enough for peer review. That he doesn't seem to want to do this triggers a wee alarm bell in my head.

It depends on what else he is doing.

Whilst they are not necessarily publishing, a lot of retirees use their expertise in advising public bodies, groups, government etc. They can also be active in conferences and academic lectures etc so though they are not writing, they are still being critiqued and judged by others in their field, so their work has to be capable of passing close scrutiny.

If he is not doing these things then yes, it might be possible to get away with poor work.