BBC bias

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's a bit different when you probably get paid 3 times as much as your boss. I just find it weird that folk find it odd that people in the Westminster/media bubble make friends.

It's frequently pointed out that it colours the coverage in favour of the establishment. That's something that should be relentlessly focused on.

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's frequently pointed out that it colours the coverage in favour of the establishment. That's something that should be relentlessly focused on.

The fact that members of the establishment go on holiday together shouldn't be a shock. What should be is that Populist right winger old Etonians and capitalist tycoons aren't seen as the elite.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

The fact that members of the establishment go on holiday together shouldn't be a shock. What should be is that Populist right winger old Etonians and capitalist tycoons aren't seen as the elite.

Both of these things should be scrutinised and criticised though. Please read Toms Mills book I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

25 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Both of these things should be scrutinised and criticised though. Please read Toms Mills book I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

I'll give it a go, but Amazon books "I also might like" aren't encouraging. The fact that every political group thinks the BBC is biased against them must count for something.

image.thumb.png.23e6bc382c84d6d8d0b1048025c2cf88.png

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'll give it a go, but Amazon books "I also might like" aren't encouraging. The fact that every political group thinks the BBC is biased against them must count for something.

image.thumb.png.23e6bc382c84d6d8d0b1048025c2cf88.png

I think it's possible to argue that the BBC can pursue a broadly socially liberal agenda while at the same time as being broadly economically conservative and reflecting an establishment consensus. I think Mills argues broadly similar. His chapter on the Thatcher era assaults on the BBC as being particularly relevant to the current problems that the BBC faces.

I also find the argument that "if you're in the centre and are pissing both sides off then you're doing something right"a bit trite.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Not in response to NotThePars, but should the BBC give equal voice to anti vaxxers? 

There was an article I read where the journalist pointed out that treating a story fairly wasn't about letting both sides just open their mouths and speak, but was more about it being the responsibility of the media to present the facts of both arguments. I think this is the point, anti-vaxxers arguments really tend not to stack up factually - which would be what any good BBC journalist should be trying to get across.

I'm afraid I can't remember the article to post a link, it was a while ago now. 

There was an article I read where the journalist pointed out that treating a story fairly wasn't about letting both sides just open their mouths and speak, but was more about it being the responsibility of the media to present the facts of both arguments. I think this is the point, anti-vaxxers arguments really tend not to stack up factually - which would be what any good BBC journalist should be trying to get across.
I'm afraid I can't remember the article to post a link, it was a while ago now. 
There's a meme going around to the effect that if one side says it's raining and the other says it isn't, you don't just report each viewpoint, you look out the fucking window.

A classic from the BBC and how they frame debate and set the parameters - in the report about the Weirs  who are getting divorced  "defended making a donation of 1million pounds" to the indy fund from their lottery win.

"Defended". Something the couple believed in and BBC turn it into a bad thing. Obviously just "making a donation" doesn't suit their way of seeing and shaping the story.

21 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

A classic from the BBC and how they frame debate and set the parameters - in the report about the Weirs  who are getting divorced  "defended making a donation of 1million pounds" to the indy fund from their lottery win.

"Defended". Something the couple believed in and BBC turn it into a bad thing. Obviously just "making a donation" doesn't suit their way of seeing and shaping the story.

Just came on to post that.

UK's biggest lottery winners Colin and Chris Weir to divorce

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-47878488

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure that’s an example of bbc bias. It’s probably the only newsworthy thing that’s happened to them since they won the lottery, and I include their divorce in that.

If the article had said they 'made a donation to a community football club, Partick Thistle and the Yes movement' we wouldn't be discussing it. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not sure that’s an example of bbc bias. It’s probably the only newsworthy thing that’s happened to them since they won the lottery, and I include their divorce in that.

Saving the Waverley was the best thing they did.

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Tbf the link makes clear they were being attacked by a Tory MSP for their donation.

I think we can be a bit sensitive about this – being generous it could be lazy journalism. But the words on their own raise the implication there was something questionable about their donation. There wasn't. It should have been corrected.  It hasn't.

Edited by Mr Heliums