BBC bias

You have missed the problem with the US Senate where Alaska gets the same number of Senators as California.

Yes but in terms of electoral college votes and congressional districts it has significantly less. This is the balance of it, give every state (in the US)/county(uk) the same number of senators and continue to base the main larger house on population as is done in the commons/house of representatives. Pretty basic stuff but ensures places like London dont just overrule everywhere because of population density, which imo is only one factor in political representation.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yes but in terms of electoral college votes and congressional districts it has significantly less. This is the balance of it, give every state (in the US)/county(uk) the same number of senators and continue to base the main larger house on population as is done in the commons/house of representatives. Pretty basic stuff but ensures places like London dont just overrule everywhere because of population density, which imo is only one factor in political representation.

Hugely favours the rural voter though, here as well as the US, who for some reason tend to be right wing nutjobs.

Hugely favours the rural voter though, here as well as the US, who for some reason tend to be right wing nutjobs.

We do a relatively ok job with council boundaries though so if it was along those lines i’d be alright with that, less chance for gerrymandering etc. Theres no way to really reflect the electorate other than PR and if that’s the case what do you do? Appoint a PR candidate to a constituency or region? Its a difficult one to get entirely spot on.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

We do a relatively ok job with council boundaries though so if it was along those lines i’d be alright with that, less chance for gerrymandering etc. Theres no way to really reflect the electorate other than PR and if that’s the case what do you do? Appoint a PR candidate to a constituency or region? Its a difficult one to get entirely spot on.

Maybe Councillors could elect representatives for a second chamber? Could mean for a large number of independents which could be a good thing. No point in duplicating the set up for the House of Commons anyway, and the system for choosing MEP's is a proven disaster.

I quite like the Holyrood system of having a mix of both. I think I'd prefer if the PR system had greater numbers than the constituency MSPs but we definitely have a good system going up here including (despite the reason for it) the fact that it's designed to prevent outright majorities.

14 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Zero chance of any meaningful constitutional reform unless we get independence lads.

The Tories will go all in to oppose any change, while Labour and the Lib Dem dafties have promised much but delivered little. (Excluding Holyrood)

Totally Agree.

14 hours ago, Detournement said:

You have missed the problem with the US Senate where Alaska gets the same number of Senators as California.

As does Vermont with 100,000 less of a population than Alaska.

Others are Rhode Island  and Maine with similar populations of around 1.3 million compared to California's39.5 million.

The clue to this senatorial state population imbalance is in the country's title The United States of America, where territories which came under the US banner were granted equal democratic congressional rights, Texas for example was ruled by the French, Spanish and Mexicans up until  the Mexican - American war, it then became the state we know today with it's two senators.

This completely differs from the US election Electoral Vote which has total priority over the popular vote as witnessed in the Trump Election where Clinton garnered  two million more popular votes. The electoral votes are based on each States population count so California has 55 electoral votes compared to Alaska's 3 votes.

There was a cerebral chap on this morning (Scotland) and he was interviewed on the gender pay fiscal deficit gifted to Glasgow Council by history*.

The interviewee was clever enough not to take the bait of agreeing with the interviewer that there is a scandal / crisis / morale at an all time low event.

The disappointment in the studio was palpable when they realised that they were being deprived of their headline for the next top of the hour bulletin.

There's bias and there is also formulaic tabloid journalism. I fear that, like hearing "so" at the start of a sentence, I can never unhear it.

BBC Radio Scotland should set their sights higher than this daily churn.

* Labour

I heard an extended interview on BBC last week about baby boxes.   Wow.  Words can't describe.  Just an absolute hit piece, clearly rehearsed, scripted, completely unprofessional, zero balance. Just an all out assault of SNP bad.

It was with somebody called Audrey Dempsey.  I've not checked but knew at the time she will be a labour activist.  Would be willing to bet my life savings on it.  Astonishingly brazen and completely unprofessional hit piece on a benign, beneficial and universally popular policy just to hurt the SNP.  Genuinely breathtaking.