Stenny v Clyde

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Officially our last chance. Win Saturday and Tuesday (Stenny go to Peterhead) and we'd maybe have a six point gap (7 with GD). Still very unlikely but would put some pressure on.

It will be interesting to see the team we put out; does Currie come back in, does he change the back four, which of Nicoll, Grant (how did he do at Peterhead?), Cuddihy, Lamont will miss out? Is Kipre fit?

It wasn't a massive dunt I done him in the Balmoor carpark, just enough to prove people wrong on the internet. ;)

What'd be ruinous would be McNiff and Lang together. Please god, pair-up Cogill and Lang, with Stewart and Duffie outside them. It'll take a bit of settling; maybe even a bad result or two, but they cannot be worse than the previous ensemble.

Cringing just thinking about that four again. Happily, there's no chance of Lennon sticking Nicoll at the back against Stenny. He knows we need space closed balls won and tackles made in midfield; Stenny are a big, athletic side.

We could suffer the loss of Home's experience. On the other hand, Lang and Cogill could step-up as debutants in their new - preferred - positions, compensating for that. Alternatively, we could court disaster by playing McNiff and Lang in the centre, with Cogill to their left. Whatever the case is, Lennon's choices will be interesting, and probably determinative of the result. Against the likes of Edinburgh or Cowdenbeath, we could bank on scoring a couple. But not against Stenny. Their defenders have always contained Goodwillie quite well. That's why I say that. The margins are too fine to set-up with a predictably ropey four at the back.

I'd quite like to see a 3-5-2 today, actually. We've been cuffed playing a back-four against Stenny. And, even though those were badly picked back-fours, a 3-5-2 would offer a lot more security against concession. It's the shape in which we've looked least likely to concede this season. And by a distance, to my eyes. I'd have Boyle behind Goodwillie. Nicoll, McStay and Cuddihy through the middle. Cogill, Lang and McNiff - shouldn't have done Callum that dunt - as the three. Duffie and Stewart as the wing-backs. Lowdon might be a better pick if we're not up against much on our left-hand-side though. Lowdon would probably give a little more width than Stewart.

You know what's really annoying me though? And you all thought it was Lang at right-back and McNiff in the centre. That too. But, on balance, more-so the fate of Steve Kipre. What's happening there? I hate it when the OS goes silent on a player. Last we heard, pre-Cowden, he was recovering from an injury, the severity of which wasn't mentioned. Then, in the Stirling and Peterhead previews, there was no mention of him. Max Wright, whose fitness I expect we're all slightly less curious about, was followed-up in the Stirling preview (i.e. 'he's fit now').

You can't have your manager say this about a player then leave us in the lurch: "He's great in the air, he's strong and he can hold the game up with his strength"; "He's a threat on the counter-attack and he'll complement what we already have". Well, let's see it then. For my money, that's the sort of player we haven't had since... I can't remember. Get him on in crutches. Then we can experiment with a 4-4-2.

Archived