Killie v Ross County

Really hoping that the two late goals we conceded today provides a platform for the management team to address a bit of complacency before it costs us points.

Really takes the shine off what would have been another excellent result.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Love to see the Killie fans a bit miffed, even after a win. Shows Clarke has made a real difference.

Although barely 4,000 fans is rather depressing.

It must be more depressing down where your team is. Unlike Dunfermline who count folk walking past their stadium in their attendance, Killie don’t count hospitality and our crowds are normally a lot higher than reported. 

I thought Tshibola was really good today right up to that inexplicable mistake for the goal.  He started off the game playing quite advanced and looked a lot livelier than he had in previous weeks, and then he dropped deeper and used the ball well.  There was one through pass to Brophy in particular which showed incredible vision - I think it might have been just before Brophy's goal.

There is no doubt he has a talent, I maybe didn't explain myself properly, he just looks so lackadasical at times. 

I commented during the match to my mate, the moment Youssouf came on he seemed to fall out the game. I noticed on a couple of occasions both made the same run into the same space to get on the ball. IMO they seem to similar to play together.

PS.... did anyone else notice the moment the game ended, Mulumbu disappeared up the tunnel? His face was a picture, absolutely raging, probably really disappointed we lost those two late goals.

Would have been nice to see today out with the 3-0 scoreline, it was deserved. A routine win in which we never really looked troubled. Our defence were solid, our midfield much better than theirs, and our three attackers took their goals sublimely. Erwin with a good finish after good set up work by O'Donnell, Simpson (with his first assist) linking up for a typical Kris Boyd goal, and Brophy doing what he seems to do best, having a dangerous ping from any and all angles.

Tshibola played a honking backpass to Broadfoot and followed it up all of 15 seconds later with an even worse one in the direction of Macdonald, which McKay duly nipped in and tucked away. Two moments of absolute madness and then a second goal lost through switching off - as others have said, it will inspire Clarke to read the riot act and make sure similar mistakes don't happen Tuesday.

On a personal note, my wee boy (4) has started taking more of an interest in Killie in recent months and came along today having been prepared that we might score a few past the worst team in Scotland and that there was a fair chance Daddy's favourite player Kris Boyd would score. All of that duly happened. I then suggested going round to meet the players. He knew there was a trophy room and nipped my head about getting in to on the walk round, despite my explanation it wouldn't be open. I asked the guy on the door who duly obliged and let us pop in for a minute, much to the wee man's astonishment (brilliant to see the "SPL Club Media Relations 2007/08" trophy on display)

We then hung about getting pictures with player. A few awkward moments where he whispered "nah, don't want a picture with him" or started singing "Ross County are rubbish" as a Staggies player walked past, but otherwise we had a ball together collecting photos. Boyd kept us waiting for about 45 minutes but it was well worth the wait. The wee man literally danced back to the car.

All in all, a good day!

2 hours ago, the west curve said:

It must be more depressing down where your team is. Unlike Dunfermline who count folk walking past their stadium in their attendance, Killie don’t count hospitality and our crowds are normally a lot higher than reported. 

Can you disagree with him though? Depressing is maybe the wrong word but 3900 home fans is poor when we are playing so well IMO.

Crowds are slowly rising but I still think they could be a bit better.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I thought Tshibola was really good today right up to that inexplicable mistake for the goal.  He started off the game playing quite advanced and looked a lot livelier than he had in previous weeks, and then he dropped deeper and used the ball well.  There was one through pass to Brophy in particular which showed incredible vision - I think it might have been just before Brophy's goal.

I agree.   Thought he played well today apart from his blip at the end. 

Can you disagree with him though? Depressing is maybe the wrong word but 3900 home fans is poor when we are playing so well IMO.
Crowds are slowly rising but I still think they could be a bit better.
Agreed, but it doesn't happen overnight. I think the home crowd was surprisingly big yesterday - particularly considering it's the warm-up to Tuesday. 3900 home supporters is an increase of about a third inside six months.

I genuinely think this might be the best Kilmarnock side I've ever seen though, so part of me is absolutely mystified that we're not filling the stadium to the rafters. I do appreciate, however, that not everyone feels the same way about the football as I do (and probably you too)

Behind the goal we had the best view of the superb run by Brophy to the right-hand channel for his goal.  It’s not terribly sophisticated, but the curved run easily took him away from the defenders.   Killie were ruthless behind the ball until their changes, but that kind of movement was exactly what County were missing from their game, which was Ok front-to-middle otherwise, at least for the first half.

Behind the goal we had the best view of the superb run by Brophy to the right-hand channel for his goal.  It’s not terribly sophisticated, but the curved run easily took him away from the defenders.   Killie were ruthless behind the ball until their changes, but that kind of movement was exactly what County were missing from their game, which was Ok front-to-middle otherwise, at least for the first half.

There was another scout dressed in a Brighton & Hove Albion jacket sitting just along from where we were in the main stand yesterday, we noticed him whip out a notebook the minute Brophy came on so clearly they're still very much interested in him.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I know the highlights only capture a fraction of the game but could Fontaine give any less of a toss if he tried? 

He’s also deceptively slow , for a big lanky chap . Lee Erwin who’s not the quickest outpaced him after giving him a 5 yard start in the 2nd half 

18 hours ago, the west curve said:

Our attendance figure does count hospitality - it's added in before we announce the crowd figure. 

I agree about the two County goals taking the shine off the result - yes, it's still a win but had we not conceded the first goal I don't think we'd have let any in at all. Still, prior to Mulumbu coming on we showed that our squad players could certainly do a job without the likes of Jones et al. 

Archived