Bonnyrigg Rose should they stay or should they go...

Unknown Fan

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, db11 said:

My own thinking has been that the standard in the juniors has been getting slightly poorer in the last few years. There have been some particularly weak teams at the bottom half of the superleague the last couple of years.  There's likely to be a significant dip in quality next season, a team finishing    9th or 10th in premier could well be playing in superleague next season.

Maybe the increase to a 16 team league has something to do with that ?

9th or 10th , So you believe that 8 or more teams will be leaving the juniors ?  Wow , Didnt think it would be that many, If thats the case you could be potentially in the EOS for a few seasons.

Just now, Enigma said:

The boy moaning about the quality of the EoS is missing the point. There’s not a single Kelty fan complaining about winning 8-0 every week.

Surely the point is you have to look at this long term, not next season, not the season after, but 5-10 years down the line.  By then if the trend continues the non-league scene will be completely different to what it is now and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

49 minutes ago, A.M said:

Correct I did ask the question on page 7 , and you replied , you did not answer my question then either , you only told me about numbers and teams wanting to move , you didnt tell me what has CHANGED in the juniors to make teams wish to leave ?

It would appear reading the posts from yourself and others canvassing the move that in actual fact nothing has changed in the juniors, just that some teams want to make the move for purely financial reasons like Kelty did.

I assume that the commitee will answer that question tonight?  Only they can answer why this is the case but yes I agree it does need answering.  Maybe they have seen the success of Kelty?  There was also a very good post by someone from Kelty a few days back explaining the advantages.  Will it mean a poorer level of football next season? Possibly but maybe not - You may find that we play a lot of the same teams as this season but in a different league. Bottom line is long term imho is by moving its for  the better of the Rose. I would reverse that question and say what will the junior league look like next season? Will that be a poorer quality? Do you think the juniors have had the same quality this season? Do you think Bonnyrigg have been as good?

Juniors need a massive restructure it is badly run. Why are the SJFA not releasing the finding of the survey?   Cup struggled to get a sponsor. Prize money is terrible. Massive advantages to joining the pyramid. Issuing a full set of fixtures in the eos. Talk of Scottish senior cup spots being pulled for junior clubs as they have had the benefits without committing to licencing.

Like you say you are a junior man and I honestly believe there is no right or wrong in whatever people want to vote tonight but I personally believe that if we stay we will fall behind some smaller junior clubs. Make no mistake about it - players follow the money and if a club has a far better financial structure (even if smaller than Bonnyrigg) then I can see players moving on. As it stands Bonnyrigg/ Linlithgow get the players  because they pay the most and why Nitten sign dross.

Remainers run the risk of missing the boat .....

Incredible to think only a few years ago when the LL was formed there were vacancies which any club could ve taken up.

Amazingly the "made up clubs" at the time are now  sitting back on the couch wi large cigars. The LL now looks like a league which clubs have ambition to aim  for  :whistle

Burnie_man you had strong views against the LL and had manys a debate with mysel and others aboot it on thread upon thread on here. What's changed in that space of time? 

Back on topic, would love regular fixtures against the Rose so get voting guys, it's no as bad as it's getting made oot to be  :)

15 minutes ago, BoomShakalaka said:

I assume that the commitee will answer that question tonight?  Only they can answer why this is the case but yes I agree it does need answering.  Maybe they have seen the success of Kelty?  There was also a very good post by someone from Kelty a few days back explaining the advantages.  Will it mean a poorer level of football next season? Possibly but maybe not - You may find that we play a lot of the same teams as this season but in a different league. Bottom line is long term imho is by moving its for  the better of the Rose. I would reverse that question and say what will the junior league look like next season? Will that be a poorer quality? Do you think the juniors have had the same quality this season? Do you think Bonnyrigg have been as good?

Juniors need a massive restructure it is badly run. Why are the SJFA not releasing the finding of the survey?   Cup struggled to get a sponsor. Prize money is terrible. Massive advantages to joining the pyramid. Issuing a full set of fixtures in the eos. Talk of Scottish senior cup spots being pulled for junior clubs as they have had the benefits without committing to licencing.

Like you say you are a junior man and I honestly believe there is no right or wrong in whatever people want to vote tonight but I personally believe that if we stay we will fall behind some smaller junior clubs. Make no mistake about it - players follow the money and if a club has a far better financial structure (even if smaller than Bonnyrigg) then I can see players moving on. As it stands Bonnyrigg/ Linlithgow get the players  because they pay the most and why Nitten sign dross.

Remainers run the risk of missing the boat .....

Bonnyrigg have been closer to winning "The Scottish " in the past five or six years than they have for  a while so they have improved in that respect.

The Superleague may be poorer next season IF the likes of Bonnyrigg leave but it wont be should they stay.

Yes , things can be improved in the Juniors but jumping ship wont improve them , fight from within.

The post the Kelty man put up was purely financial orientated.

We keep hearing about a "trend" but so far its only Kelty who have gone, followed by Dalkeith and perhaps Bonnyrigg and Clydebank, it may be the right decision , it may not , time will tell.

Personally it wont matter to me what Bonnyrigg choose to do but it will to a  lot of Bonnyrigg fans , some of whom attend home and away week in , week out but are not season ticket holders and therefore wont be at the meeting , and I hope for all the fans that whatever decision is taken turns out to be the best for all the fans .

I will still be hoping to go and watch this Saturdays battle of the Roses in what might be a title decider in a very competitive league this year.

5 minutes ago, A.M said:

Bonnyrigg have been closer to winning "The Scottish " in the past five or six years than they have for  a while so they have improved in that respect.

The Superleague may be poorer next season IF the likes of Bonnyrigg leave but it wont be should they stay.

Yes , things can be improved in the Juniors but jumping ship wont improve them , fight from within.

We keep hearing about a "trend" but so far its only Kelty who have gone, followed by Dalkeith and perhaps Bonnyrigg and Clydebank, it may be the right decision , it may not , time will tell.

Personally it wont matter to me what Bonnyrigg choose to do but it will to a  lot of Bonnyrigg fans , some of whom attend home and away week in , week out but are not season ticket holders and therefore wont be at the meeting , and I hope for all the fans that whatever decision is taken turns out to be the best for all the fans .

I will still be hoping to go and watch this Saturdays battle of the Roses in what might be a title decider in a very competitive league this year.

What's the average age of the Bonnyrigg support A. M? 

Maybe it's a generation issue? 

The EoSFL and the LL will be just as competitive given time,  its only a name change ;)

13 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Burnie_man you had strong views against the LL and had manys a debate with mysel and others aboot it on thread upon thread on here. What's changed in that space of time? 

Nothing has changed, the LL was poorly conceived and rushed in to suit the agenda of the leading EoS clubs at the time. It was a clusterfuck and the SFA (Regan), SFL and SJFA were all equally to blame for different reasons.  That was my only issue with the Pyramid concept, but we've done it to death.

4 minutes ago, A.M said:

I would say Bonnyrigg were closer to winning it 5/6 years or so ago when playing Talbot than they have been in the last few years.

Juniors will be weaker next season irrespective of whether or not Bonnyrigg leaves. Others will make the move and some will be at the end of this season. The map will change over the next little while. 

Only 2 teams in the league and Bonnyrigg havent been great this season.

Ive yet to see an argument why we should stay junior - other than nothing has changed lol.

17 minutes ago, A.M said:

I used to believe that view, but it's gone past that now for many, who is going to remove TJ from his post which would be an immediate improvement?

There is already a better alternative in the East without having to "fight" for goodness knows how long for little change.

3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Nothing has changed, the LL was poorly conceived and rushed in to suit the agenda of the leading EoS clubs at the time. It was a clusterfuck and the SFA (Regan), SFL and SJFA were all equally to blame for different reasons.  That was my only issue with the Pyramid concept, but we've done it to death.

Your opinion and maybes aye but there were still vacancies at the time for applications to be submitted. 

33 minutes ago, Dunc an disorderly said:

5-10 years down the line the majority of clubs who leave the juniors will no longer exist . The sooner the scaremongers on here realise this... it will all go tits up you mark my words

"...clubs will no longer exist... it will all go tits up"  isn't scaremongering?

36 minutes ago, A.M said:

9th or 10th , So you believe that 8 or more teams will be leaving the juniors ?  Wow , Didnt think it would be that many, If thats the case you could be potentially in the EOS for a few seasons.

Why would it be such a bad thing to be in the EoS for a few seasons, if you are joined by other Junior clubs? You'd have the benefits of being in the EoS and being part of the pyramid, presumably you'd be licensed as well, and still be playing many of the same teams as just now.

3 minutes ago, BoomShakalaka said:

I would say Bonnyrigg were closer to winning it 5/6 years or so ago when playing Talbot than they have been in the last few years.

Juniors will be weaker next season irrespective of whether or not Bonnyrigg leaves. Others will make the move and some will be at the end of this season. The map will change over the next little while. 

Ive yet to see an argument why we should stay junior - other than nothing has changed lol.

Nothing has changed lol ?

It was good enough for you in the past, but now you find it laughable ?

The juniors havent changed and I certainly still enjoy watching them, I went to Carnoustie on Saturday and it was the coldest I have ever been watching a game but still get the buzz reaching another semi final, but that is what I enjoy and I'll stick to it.

You guys go and enjoy what you choose to do.

6 minutes ago, BoomShakalaka said:

Only two team's in the League, I'm sure Penicuik are doing OK, Broxburn doing OK, Lochee semi finals of Scottish, Bo'ness still a Replay to come.?

2 minutes ago, A.M said:

Nothing has changed lol ?

It was good enough for you in the past, but now you find it laughable ?

The juniors havent changed and I certainly still enjoy watching them, I went to Carnoustie on Saturday and it was the coldest I have ever been watching a game but still get the buzz reaching another semi final, but that is what I enjoy and I'll stick to it.

You guys go and enjoy what you choose to do.

Yer man Johnstone better watch oot otherwise we could potentially have the footballing people's Republic of Ayrshire (San Marino style) in its own wee league vs the rest of Scotland :unsure2:

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I used to believe that view, but it's gone past that now for many, who is going to remove TJ from his post which would be an immediate improvement?

There is already a better alternative in the East without having to "fight" for goodness knows how long for little change.

Yep, I think we could still be here in 10 years time talking about it. Or we could lead from the front in a brave new era of non league football.

For me, the debate isn’t “should Bonnyrigg join the EOS /LL”.

The debate should simply be how to fit all “non league - EOS/SOS/Juniors etc” into one simple up and down system and how quickly/efficiently can it be done.

I think that’s now a certainty with certain junior sides going to the EOS league”.

It’s an absolute joke it’s not been done by now.

Archived