Portugal

Stellaboz

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ah the joys of this sodding phone and its predictive text.

I did, of course, mean Sintra.

As mentioned earlier, an evening in Barrio Alto listening to Fado and crying into a massive glass of Port is a lot better than it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
Goin  vilamora in October for a wèek.looks good big marina with all the posh boats and stuff. We went Bulgaria in june so there will be a big difference in beer prices was paying about 45p a pint in pomorie 
Robertos bar is just off the marina and is really good

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:
4 hours ago, wellinwigan said:
Goin  vilamora in October for a wèek.looks good big marina with all the posh boats and stuff. We went Bulgaria in june so there will be a big difference in beer prices was paying about 45p a pint in pomorie 

Robertos bar is just off the marina and is really good

Will give it a go mate. Any restraunt recomendations

On 08/07/2018 at 19:25, Stu said:

Looking at going to Cascais at least once - bus trip stops there on the way back from Sintra but might return for a day at the beach.

Sintra was lovely, the climb up to the Pena Palace is a killer but the view is worth it. Paid a trip to Cascais on the way there but never really had time for the beach as we were doing the touristy stuff in Lisbon - the castle, going across the river to the statue of Christ and the open top bus. Also paid a trip to Benfica's stadium.

Enjoyed our visit to Belem, mainly because there was a large queue at the monastery and we waltzed past it as I'd bought my tickets online. Not felt that smug for quite some time :smartass

You walked up?! We got a tuktuk, some German lass from Munich who was great.  Amazing place up there though. I would have paid to get in those grounds alone, never mind the Disney-like castle, which was a bit boring for me but the view? Jizz! 

12 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

You walked up?! We got a tuktuk, some German lass from Munich who was great.  Amazing place up there though. I would have paid to get in those grounds alone, never mind the Disney-like castle, which was a bit boring for me but the view? Jizz! 

Didn't walk the whole way - the tour dropped us off at the gates and we walked from there. Walking up from the village would have been a bit of a trek! We didn't go inside the palace as there was a long queue so got lost in the grounds instead and almost missed the bus back.

• 2 months later...

Went to Lisbon a few weeks back, really nice city, one of the best I've been to. Only went for 3 days though, any more and we would've been struggling for things to do. Everything you'd want from a city break though, cheap-ish public transport and good eats (as long as you like fish that is)

Would definitely recommend going to Estadio de Luz (Benfica), particularly for a game if you can make it. Went to the Lisbon Derby between them and Sporting, again one of the best atmospheres I've seen at a ground.

A worthwhile hing to do is to go around some of the 'miradouros' (viewpoints) in the city, some amazing views. Also the boat trip across the river to go and see the Christ the Redeemer looking thing was worthwhile and cheap too.

Word of warning, if you're flying with Ryanair or other budget airlines you might get put to Terminal 2 of the airport, so be sure to eat before your flight. It's essentially a big warehouse, complete with two restaurants, one maccy d's and the other one of they incredibly upmarket champagne places, and good luck finding a seat in there.

Overall, 8/10

• 11 months later...
Faro old town is relatively nice if you want a good meal and a bevvy without the stereotypical hordes. Lagos was nice enough also, had a bit of everything, though at night was a bit too "lads/girls on holiday". Lisbon during the day isn't great but at night is fucking tremendous, especially Bairro Alto. Best bet for taking it in is to start at Rossio station and walk up the hill and back the way. Food and drink was immense and the general atmosphere was outstanding.

Just back from 4 days in Faro, thoroughly enjoyed it. Friendly locals, loved the old town, nice bars and good food. All at good prices. Great weather too which was a bonus.

Just back from a week in Olhao, just outside Faro, 15 mins in cab from airport. Really pleasant traditional small town, hardly any tourists. Cracking Airbnb apartment much cheaper than a hotel and 1 euro per beer. 3rd tier football team with very enthusiastic fans too. Glorious weather as per @gpo

Edited by welshbairn