Brewdog - Beer For Girls

Guest bernardblack

I’m watching this BBC documentary now and I’m slightly confused about the agenda and why there is a hatchet job going on with the brewery and business owner. I’ve not really followed this thread nor have I drank too often in their bars but they seem a very successful Scottish business. Nothing wrong in them getting investment to reward the business creators as well as add capital to grow the company.

The American and Scottish ex employees all seem bitter and allegations of inappropriate behaviour don’t seem to be backed up with any criminal or even witness evidence; it’s all “an overseas top CEO visiting his USA businesses and had his head turned over a couple lassies, whilst enjoying a few beers whilst on overseas business”
Happy to be corrected buy it seems more of a flimsy BBC documentary to trash-talk this company? 

Do you think that loads of people independently calling him a sex pest have all made it up?

13 hours ago, deegee said:

Happy to be corrected buy it seems more of a flimsy BBC documentary to trash-talk this company? 

12 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Thats what I thought as well. Very poor from the BBC. 

I thought it was a poor piece of journalism. There was plenty to suggest JW might be a bit of a c@#t but it didn't come up with much more than that. 

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

I thought it was a poor piece of journalism. There was plenty to suggest JW might be a bit of a c@#t but it didn't come up with much more than that. 

People who are a bit of a c**t don't have multiple people accuse them of sexual harassment and bullying. 

Don't really understand what else people wanted the BBC to put forward, they interviewed multiple people about their working practices and it all pointed the same direction. 

12 hours ago, JMDP said:

I'm not a fan of brewdog at all and Watt is clearly a p***k. However, it has to be said that Daly is one of the absolute worstcunts going. A genuinely vile c**t. 

"and how do you feel about that?"         

This was asked to almost every individual he interviewed.  They've just offloaded their inner thoughts on their uber-lord boss in negative terms, so, Mr Daly, how the f*ck do you think they feel ??  After a mega build-up to the "hard-hitting" documentary, it was nothing more than Daly digging for endorsements to his unearthed details.

Having said that, Watt is a megalomaniac arse by all accounts.

It will be interesting to see what comes out in court if it gets that far. He does appear to be OFTW and a bit of a c**t, but the programme looked like a scatter gun hatchet job and many of the accusations seemed flimsy. 

It’s obviously stirred up a few emotions and comments from last night. As I said in my previous post last night, I genuinely don’t know much about this guy running the business, so I am 100% neutral on him and his company.

I still think it was a weak documentary and a couple staff who lost their jobs (it would be interesting to see why folk in marketing etc were fired; maybe they just weren’t very good at their job?) didn’t really make many allegations other than it was a ruthless business. Not really different to 99.9% of most hard nosed businesses.

The American girls who were a little weepy didn’t have much on him other than he looked at them! The claim he was snogging a customer at the rooftop bar was nothing different to what you see in any late night bar I guess?

I am really not defending him; he might well be a creepy weirdo who has an eye for a pretty girl and his business drive doesn’t tolerate second best but the BBC programme didn’t really lay a glove on him or the business and came across as a journalist simply going around asking sacked staff how they felt about it.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It will be interesting to see what comes out in court if it gets that far. He does appear to be OFTW and a bit of a c**t, but the programme looked like a scatter gun hatchet job and many of the accusations seemed flimsy. 

Crowdfunding and EFP campaign to pay for the lawyers imminent.

No surprise the shitebag turned off the reply function.

Edited by 8MileBU

Putting the creepy sexual stuff to one side I don't have a problem with someone cynically engineering a public persona and brand to milk money from the gullible whilst doing something completely different in their private life.

Punk was all high camp theatre anyway so why should this iteration be any different.

Not a fan of their stuff and their bars are now exactly what they set out not to be, in that they are now the mainstream, but I’m not seeing a huge amount in any of the allegations that are worthy of the coverage they got. The hospitality industry is, by and large, a shite place to work in terms of money and conditions, but that’s pretty much universal across the industry. It strikes me a bit of them following up on the rumours, not really finding much to go on, and padding it out as much as possible just to fill the space. Disappointing from Daly, he is capable of a hell of a lot better.

1 hour ago, gc_smfc said:

People who are a bit of a c**t don't have multiple people accuse them of sexual harassment and bullying. 

I don’t know, i think they can do nowadays tbh, to those in high-profile positions. Especially since it’s enough now to simply ruin their reputation via the media.

1 hour ago, deegee said:

It’s obviously stirred up a few emotions and comments from last night. As I said in my previous post last night, I genuinely don’t know much about this guy running the business, so I am 100% neutral on him and his company.

I still think it was a weak documentary and a couple staff who lost their jobs (it would be interesting to see why folk in marketing etc were fired; maybe they just weren’t very good at their job?) didn’t really make many allegations other than it was a ruthless business. Not really different to 99.9% of most hard nosed businesses.

It reminded me of the thread on here about the Sunderland documentary on Netflix. The chairman or whoever it was that was in charge was adamant that they could sell x amount of tickets for a game and one of the team didn’t believe they could. She ended up leaving as he was putting pressure on everyone to deliver and she was basically saying it wasn’t possible. He came across as a bit of a dick during the whole thing but he delivered what he said he would, which I imagine is what it’s like regularly at the cut throat end of business. Obviously I don’t know if that was the case with Brewdog and their sacked employees, but I wouldn’t think that that type of management style is rare. 

28 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

It reminded me of the thread on here about the Sunderland documentary on Netflix. The chairman or whoever it was that was in charge was adamant that they could sell x amount of tickets for a game and one of the team didn’t believe they could. She ended up leaving as he was putting pressure on everyone to deliver and she was basically saying it wasn’t possible. He came across as a bit of a dick during the whole thing but he delivered what he said he would, which I imagine is what it’s like regularly at the cut throat end of business. Obviously I don’t know if that was the case with Brewdog and their sacked employees, but I wouldn’t think that that type of management style is rare. 

Been a while since I read “The Psychopath Test” by Jon Ronson but I seem to recall it cropping up there and in other places that psychopaths tend to do well as business leaders because they can make tough decisions without feeling guilt or empathy for those affected by the decision they are making. Makes sense in many ways.

Just watched it there.

Clearly the Watt guy is an arrogant arsehole who treats people badly.  The programme did feel flimsy though.  There was plenty about him to disapprove of, but there wasn't the smoking gun that Daly's overblown style has you anticipating.

Quoting from Watt's business book and showing the marketing stunts, was quite enough to already have me despising him.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Just watched it there.

Clearly the Watt guy is an arrogant arsehole who treats people badly.  The programme did feel flimsy though.  There was plenty about him to disapprove of, but there wasn't the smoking gun that Daly's overblown style has you anticipating.

Quoting from Watt's business book and showing the marketing stunts, was quite enough to already have me despising him.

Person who built and runs billion pound business is a c**t shock

The American girls who were a little weepy didn’t have much on him other than he looked at them! The claim he was snogging a customer at the rooftop bar was nothing different to what you see in any late night bar I guess?

I know society has moved on from the environment of the 70s and 80s office, where despite misogyny being rife, there were plenty predators of both genders and office events were generally madhouses, but for the most part good natured.
However, these lassies all seems a tad whiny and bitter.

Watt is a very successful multi-millionaire who likes the company of attractive girls, and sometimes likes to take them to the roof terraces in properties he owns. Nothing to see here surely? However, it took a large chunk of the hour discussing it.

Some of those lip piercings looked painful.