Brewdog - Beer For Girls

Guest bernardblack

4 minutes ago, centralTon said:

Had a quick look on some beers sites. Of the 3 polls I looked at, Pilsner Urquell was voted number 1 beer in the world in 2 of the polls and was in the top 5 in the other.

You may prefer to drink Tennents and dislike the taste of Pilsner Urquell, but to say it's "pish" is a wild take.

Brewdog not even close to being the best Scottish Brewery, Fierce, Six Degrees North, Fallen, Stewart, Pilot, Drygate, Innis and Gunn and my own personal favourite Overtone are all better IMHO.

Was more that VT's patter is pish.

I've had Urquell many times. Just knew he'd come on trying to be the afficionado because he went to Czechia once.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

If we are talking north east breweries then 6°North and 71 are a million miles beyond brewdog.

Windswept in Lossiemouth produces some lovely stuff.

Just a shame that their beer garden is tiny, meaning you realistically need to attempt to book a time slot in advance.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

The last Staropramen I had was utterly stinking, like it had been left in the taps for months on end.

This absolutely happens.  Unless you are, say, in Ashton Lane, avoid it on tap because it has probably been sitting on a single keg for months.

43 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

This absolutely happens.  Unless you are, say, in Ashton Lane, avoid it on tap because it has probably been sitting on a single keg for months.

The worst hangover I've had in recent years involved two pints of Staropramen, which was all I had that night because I had an early start for an away day the following morning.  This surprised friends as I'm usually amongst the last men standing and am typically the freshest the following day.

Had to get off the bus for the train station early and ended up chundering in a side alley.  Strangest thing is that I'm occasionally partial to a Staropramen, usually incident free.

4 hours ago, Slenderman said:

Tennent's is fucking great.

Don't try and hit us with the "Staropramen and Pilsner Urquell are better" pish.

Urquell is one of the finest beers going FTLOF

21 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Urquell is one of the finest beers going FTLOF

One of my finest drinking experiences was in a bar in Prague; the sort of establishment recommended by a local.  Owner didn't speak a word of English but it was quickly apparent that they only sold Urquell, probably fresh from the local brewery. 

Came in litre glasses and any time you were down to an inch left, another litre would be dumped on the table and a tally mark added to a bit of paper.  Considering the prices you pay in the touristy places just a stone's throw away, you can imagine my delight when the final bill for 8 litres (between two) worked out to about a fiver.

Eta: you'll struggle to get a pint in a Brewdog bar for less.  I find it funny how the Punk IPA is more expensive in the Inverurie Brewdog bar than the 'spoons just up the road from it.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, velo army said:

The love of tennent's on this site is a curious one. It used to be regarded with proper disdain and was the cheap option for a pint in almost every pub. Since then they've really upped their advertising and gimmickry and it's now beloved.

Anyone else feel like a pint after reading this thread? 

I couldn't believe there was a thread dedicated to what I would consider a cooking lager.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

I drink the stuff I don't like too. I'm not stuck up 

It's the only way you'll find out. It's beer, how bad can it be? (I'm not counting Super Lager or Special Brew)

Although in a Brewdog pub someone advised me against Sink the Bismarck as it was vile.

As much as I prefer the Czech lagers to Tennents in general, I find the latter difficult to beat for first pint refreshment.

Brewdog beers just taste very samey, and they've largely built up a company built by a customer base that mostly perceives itself as being different, edgy, more cultured and interesting by buying it.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As much as I prefer the Czech lagers to Tennents in general, I find the latter difficult to beat for first pint refreshment.

While it's true that a PU is too strongly flavoured to be the ideal refreshment pint, a lighter 10° Czech lager does it far better than Tennents.

Harviestoun's Schiehallion also does it far better than Tennents and you don't even have leave the country for that.  

Tennents is shite.