Brewdog - Beer For Girls

Guest bernardblack

18 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Brewdog is w**k. Shame because some of the bars are quite nice decor wise. I was in brewdog Dundee a while ago and the waitress was an oddball. Greeted us by saying “hi friends!” and then was just casually swearing when telling us about their selection of beers. “That one’s fucking brilliant.” Stuff like that. Her over-familiar behaviour was really weird and gave off a vibe like “we’re so edgy here at Brewdog.” f**k off.

No lover of Brewdog but your in a bar man, folk can definitely swear in that environment. 

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Brewdog is w**k. Shame because some of the bars are quite nice decor wise. I was in brewdog Dundee a while ago and the waitress was an oddball. Greeted us by saying “hi friends!” and then was just casually swearing when telling us about their selection of beers. “That one’s fucking brilliant.” Stuff like that. Her over-familiar behaviour was really weird and gave off a vibe like “we’re so edgy here at Brewdog.” f**k off.

I actually laughed out loud at the image of a waitress greeting a group with 'hi friends'.

You just described the one and only experience I had with the perth branch.

I think it must be in the training, act edgy yet friendly and casually swear.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Off-top I know but I feel like that with pop-singers starting to swear in songs. Im no stranger to swearing and the music I listen to is chock-full of it, but when you've got Ariana Grande and Little Mix saying "f**k" in their songs it just feels like it was decided in a meeting by middle-management.

Your Brewdog example is bang on....it comes across like they had a training session on it.

They tried to open one in Inverness on the premises that used to be a bakers but I think their planning application for a pizza oven got turned down.  Pretty funny given what was there before it.

2 hours ago, pub car king said:

I just don't get how they've become so big it's really the power of marketing i suppose. Because their beer is shite which should be what they are judged on. 

They were setting up in a country that venerates Tennents' lager and tolerated a tiny number of equivalents and Guinness. 

That their beer is hoppy shite didn't matter because it was the only different type of shite to the norm. 

4 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Me and my missus have been gifted vouchers for the hotel thing in Edinburgh. I hate brewdog as well

I'll go. I think they're beer is good and don't care if they are slave drivers. You'll be worrying about animal welfare next.

What's your missus like?

Never mind, I'm sure she can't be that bad.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They tried to open one in Inverness on the premises that used to be a bakers but I think their planning application for a pizza oven got turned down.  Pretty funny given what was there before it.

Different ventilation system was needed compared to what was there for Ashers coupled with different hours of operations saw it thrown out. Brewdog could have dealt with the concerns that the Council had but they CBA for some reason.

23 minutes ago, Al B said:

Off-top I know but I feel like that with pop-singers starting to swear in songs. Im no stranger to swearing and the music I listen to is chock-full of it, but when you've got Ariana Grande and Little Mix saying "f**k" in their songs it just feels like it was decided in a meeting by middle-management.

Your Brewdog example is bang on....it comes across like they had a training session on it.

Good point. I found myself listening to a Megan Thee Stallion number and every third word was "f**k". I swear like a trooper, but would mainly expect songwriters to come up with some creative wordplay, especially rappers. Modern pop music turns me into a raging Da' though.

Brewdog are increasingly just soullessly corporate and image based. The increasingly "wacky" names of beers are beloved by the same people who reckon "cockwomble" is the apotheosis of patter. I do like the blackheart stout, and the food is decent, but like another poster pointed out, their trying to play the victim when trying to buy council land on the cheap (at a time of savage public funding cuts) turned me right off them.

I'm one of those utter weirdos who love English style "real ale". Room temperature, flat and full flavoured. Lovely. Brewdog beer is more Americanised with its low temperature and extreme fizziness. There's the kind of wankiness around "craft beer" that reminds me of whisky bores, with the concomitant snobbery. I wonder if the same snobbery and hierarchy exists among other drug users. "Heroin for Punks" has a nice ring to it I suppose.

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Don't get it either - I suppose they were in there early and have reaped the benefits. For me though they represent the worst kind of hipster capitalism, and most of their beers aren't anything outstanding.

They're not even the best brewery in their area of the country - Brew Toon and Six North both spank them in terms of quality, and even small players in the area like Reids Gold are pretty good.

Shout out to Fierce as well, pretty much everything they do is bang on and their bar is just around the corner from the Aberdeen Brewdog.

Brewdog are about as punk as a pair of carpet slippers.

The pizzas in their bars are quite decent tbh. A lot of their beers are quite rank now though and the ones I used to like are now more watery or no longer make. The collab stuff and overworks are usually decent but the latter is quite pricey.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, ParsJake said:

Shout out to Fierce as well, pretty much everything they do is bang on and their bar is just around the corner from the Aberdeen Brewdog.

Fierce is great tbf. They do a coffee stout that's delectable.

1 hour ago, ParsJake said:

Good call. In my mind I had Fierce coming from somewhere around Stirling way, but I think I was getting them mixed up with Fallen.

I suppose it's inevitable that the bigger a player a brewery becomes, the less creative they become. Williams have gone the same way to a certain extent...most of their effort and energy is probably going into large scale production of Joker and Caesar Gus rather than thinking up weird new stuff these days.

There's an air of innate wankiness around Brewdog I don't see elsewhere though.

Good call. In my mind I had Fierce coming from somewhere around Stirling way, but I think I was getting them mixed up with Fallen.
I suppose it's inevitable that the bigger a player a brewery becomes, the less creative they become. Williams have gone the same way to a certain extent...most of their effort and energy is probably going into large scale production of Joker and Caesar Gus rather than thinking up weird new stuff these days.
There's an air of innate wankiness around Brewdog I don't see elsewhere though.
Brewdogs success came from building themselves up as something other than beer. A personality for people who have none. This basically means theres a huge amount of Brewdog fans who are terminally boring about it, and because they think its more than just a beer, think they sinply must tell everyone all about how great it is, and how they handed their money over so they could be "equity punks"

26 minutes ago, velo army said:

Fierce is great tbf. They do a coffee stout that's delectable.

The Cafe Racer, I think. :) Not generally a fan of stouts/porters but I've had that one a few times. Always vist the Fierce Bar when I'm back in Aberdeen, despite the whiff of wankiness coming from the not-punks around the corner.

"Equity punks", indeed. Get to absolute f**k.