TV Deal from 2020

6 hours ago, The Master said:

I've not changed my point at all. I never mentioned streaming channels in my original post. You're the one who introduced that.

BT Sport is completely different to what I've been saying, and what @djchapsticks was advocating. The only reason you're calling it "streaming" is because BT TV customers happen to receive the channels via their broadband. But that's no more streaming than Sky's channels being "streamed" via satellite, or Virgin's channels being "streamed" via cable (which, technically, they are but they aren't "streaming services" under the accepted definition). 

I'd say streaming means video delivered over the internet (using IP) without the need to be downloaded first. Sky clearly isn't, because its primary delivery method is still satellite. You mentioned Eleven Sports earlier. What is the difference between Eleven Sports' linear channels and BT's channels? Only that BT are integrated into a mainstream set top box EPG. It would be very easy to add those channels, and I suspect they will be sometime soon. To say it's 'pie in the sky' to think that Scottish football could, in the 2020-2025 period, be delivered in this way, is a very conservative way of thinking. Scottish football has been utterly dicked around by the mainstream UK media, so I've no idea why we should be so negative about change.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The overseas deal with the agents MP & Silva has been ripped up now. This was a ten-year deal worth a whopping 2m a year. They seem to be suggesting they'll deal with overseas broadcasters directly, but I hope they pause and think things through. Long term deals for pennies don't make sense.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/spfl-chiefs-rip-up-tv-deal-five-years-early-1-4782916

10 hours ago, Marr1 said:

SPFL should set up an in-house streaming service for foreign fans, which could act as a tester for doing the same for the domestic rights from 2020 onwards.

But it's complicated by the fact the clubs retain rights to broadcast their own games overseas. The ugly sisters would never agree to dropping that, and the chance to vote through a change has gone.

As if the utter nonsense of the EPL TV deal wasn't stark enough, how about this shite

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Fucking Bournemouth had a turnover of more than £138M in 2016/17, technically making them 'bigger' than Celtic. Their gate income was £5.2M, technically making them about the same size as Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs.

2 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

As if the utter nonsense of the EPL TV deal wasn't stark enough, how about this shite

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Fucking Bournemouth had a turnover of more than £138M in 2016/17, technically making them 'bigger' than Celtic. Their gate income was £5.2M, technically making them about the same size as Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs.

The EPL is full of diddy teams now, as staying in it is pretty much unrelated to the size of support. They still want the fans though, as they need full stadiums to justify the TV hype. There will probably come a day when the less popular EPL teams pay people to attend.

16 hours ago, Marr1 said:

SPFL should set up an in-house streaming service for foreign fans, which could act as a tester for doing the same for the domestic rights from 2020 onwards.

This idea keeps getting floated around as though it's the easiest thing in the world, but I have no idea how commercially viable it would be.   How much do you think this would cost to set up and run, and how many subscribers do you think it would get?  You've also got issues with the quality of internet connections in some places, and the fact that a lot of fans just want to watch a game on TV, not faff around with streaming or having to buy Chromecasts or Fire Sticks or whatever else.  As soon as a barrier like that comes up, interest goes down, as we saw with the PGA golf at the weekend.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This idea keeps getting floated around as though it's the easiest thing in the world, but I have no idea how commercially viable it would be.   How much do you think this would cost to set up and run, and how many subscribers do you think it would get?  You've also got issues with the quality of internet connections in some places, and the fact that a lot of fans just want to watch a game on TV, not faff around with streaming or having to buy Chromecasts or Fire Sticks or whatever else.  As soon as a barrier like that comes up, interest goes down, as we saw with the PGA golf at the weekend.

The clubs already run such services, so it's hard to see why 12 individual ones are viable but a combined one would not be. And the games are already being filmed, so there are no additional broadcasting costs. Also, it doesn't have to replace TV deals overseas. It could run alongside, as the TV stations just want filler. Many contracts MP & Silva signed with broadcasters were non-exclusive. I'd say setting this up for overseas fans is not risky at all, but doing it domestically to completely replace current TV contracts would be much riskier. But again, there's room for both.

On 8/14/2018 at 16:03, craigkillie said:

Speaking of, it will be interesting to see what happens with ElevenSports as I imagine that they would be keen on Scottish rights. I read an article from the Telegraph that said they pay roughly £25-30m for the Serie A and La Liga rights (I imagine that'll be for three years and not just the one).

On 14/08/2018 at 16:10, bendan said:

The clubs already run such services, so it's hard to see why 12 individual ones are viable but a combined one would not be. And the games are already being filmed, so there are no additional broadcasting costs. Also, it doesn't have to replace TV deals overseas. It could run alongside, as the TV stations just want filler. Many contracts MP & Silva signed with broadcasters were non-exclusive. I'd say setting this up for overseas fans is not risky at all, but doing it domestically to completely replace current TV contracts would be much riskier. But again, there's room for both.

Overseas fans dont want to spend money to watch shite about another team though, buy your own clubs online service its all about your club, buy a league online service and who knows what club will be featured at what time, would put a lot of fans off i think

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 06:53, SaucyJackPirate said:

Not going to be any worse than what we have now.  If that's a  step too far for wee wee timid SFA why not try and see what the likes of Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix et all are offering?

I imagine that deal would immedately allow us Yanks access. We don't even get Old Firm derby here (or whatever you want to call it these days)/

I don't want a 'megabucks' deal as it'll just send us back to paying average players more money.  I want a show that features highlights and information of all tiers of the Scottish Football pyramid.
But if a big deal came along then we may not lose as much talent down to English League 1 and 2. May even be able to deter young players from moving to a lower end Championship side if we are able to offer a better standard to play in too. At least for a couple more seasons.

Also some clubs may use the extra cash to invest more in youth and senior training facilities to develop better youngsters.

After whats happened over the years with various clubs financial problems after the over spend of the 90's and 00's abd Setanta collapse, think clubs are more clued up now on what not to do than ever before.

The international rights are going to be distributed by the Infront agency until 2020 following the collapse of the MP & Silva deal. I'd imagine it's revenue sharing rather than a fixed fee. It's good to see they are bringing the deal timings in line with the domestic rights. This seems sensible, and also allows the possibility of one organisation taking global rights.

On 31/08/2018 at 10:59, RedLichtie86 said:

After whats happened over the years with various clubs financial problems after the over spend of the 90's and 00's abd Setanta collapse, think clubs are more clued up now on what not to do than ever before.

Of course they are. Bastions of propriety, one and all.

• 2 months later...
On 31/08/2018 at 10:41, The_Judge said:

I don't want a 'megabucks' deal as it'll just send us back to paying average players more money.  I want a show that features highlights and information of all tiers of the Scottish Football pyramid.

I'd rather have the money tbh

On 31/08/2018 at 10:59, RedLichtie86 said:

But if a big deal came along then we may not lose as much talent down to English League 1 and 2. May even be able to deter young players from moving to a lower end Championship side if we are able to offer a better standard to play in too. At least for a couple more seasons.

Also some clubs may use the extra cash to invest more in youth and senior training facilities to develop better youngsters.

Agree with this. Even if the ‘average’ players get paid more its not as if the majority of professional players in Scotland are on alot of money given how short their careers are.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Agree with this. Even if the ‘average’ players get paid more its not as if the majority of professional players in Scotland are on alot of money given how short their careers are.

Clubs appear to be a lot more sensible these days when it comes to money*. The overall debt of the SPFL is a fraction of what it was 5-10 years ago. You would hope that lessons have been learned and any increase in TV cash wouldn't just be squandered and would be invested smartly. 

*Rangers are the exception, with more debt than the rest of the SPFL put together.

8 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Clubs appear to be a lot more sensible these days when it comes to money*. The overall debt of the SPFL is a fraction of what it was 5-10 years ago. You would hope that lessons have been learned and any increase in TV cash wouldn't just be squandered and would be invested smartly. 

*Rangers are the exception, with more debt than the rest of the SPFL put together.

Yeah I can see chair-men/woman being a lot more savvy this time as I believe it was Celtic and Aberdeen who were sceptical over Setanta last time and were proven  right. If we do go for somebody like 11 sports this time I cant see clubs* spending the money before they already have it like before

* Rangers** are the exception, with more debt than the rest of the SPFL put together.

** The Rangers

Archived