Accies v ‘Well

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, nsr said:

You'd crawl over broken glass to have him at Hackies, m8.

1 goal in 7 apperances isn't exactly going to improve our scoring ratio, so if you don't mind you can keep him. I would take big Curtis though.

Hopefully your players and coaching staff have also been focusing purely on goals scored as a measure of how he's done with us. That would be most pleasing.

You know, I was so focused on your first part that I missed this part...

1 hour ago, happyaccie said:

I would take big Curtis though.

:lol:

I'm sure you would!

56 minutes ago, Al B said:

Hopefully your players and coaching staff have also been focusing purely on goals scored as a measure of how he's done with us. That would be most pleasing.

100%.

I noticed on Steelmen they've moved on to Ciftci for their criticism (presumably because Dunne's come good, Rose wasn't starting at the weekend, Frear was on the bench and McHugh pinged a volley into the top corner from 25 yards to take us into the semi-final).

Looking back to December's run of poor form and Moult's absence through injury the whole chat from fans of other clubs was "Motherwell will never replace Moult. They'll get relegated. LOL.".

The only game that Ciftci's not started since he's been at the club is the 2-1 defeat at Easter Road. So that's 9 games he's started we've won 6, drawn 2 and lost 1.

Compare that with our record post-Moult through to the winter break: we lost 5, drew 1 (thanks Dundee) and won 0.

Obviously Ciftci hasn't been instrumental in these games, 1 goal in 10 appearances isn't a great return on the face of it (hence the comments in this thread) and he's been subbed off in a few but he's been involved plenty in the build up to goals and chances. He also gives us an out ball that we just didn't have when Bowman was floundering about up there in December. 

Given the general idea being floated was that we'd struggle without Moult then it's worth pointing out that our goals scored rate is only marginally less with Main and Ciftci as the front pair than it was during our great run of form from the start of the season through to the 3rd game of the Celtic trilogy.

The first half of the season (up to the Celtic game at Parkhead) we averaged 1.57 goals per game (30 goals in 19 games) since the winter break we're averaging 1.4 (14 goals in 10 games). Fwiw: post Celtic trilogy sans Moult our average was 0.66 (4 goals in 6 games).

Again, for the avoidance of doubt that's not me claiming that Ciftci's been this creative spark who's dominating and influencing games that would be as daft as claiming he's a dud. However, what does seem clear is that in terms of the overall make-up of the team the Main/Ciftci partnership supported by Tanner is as effective for us as Moult/Bowman was earlier in the season.

I was lukewarm on Ciftci's signing - but he has been involved in the build up to so many of our goals and I think even if he continues in his current form, it will have been a successful loan and I'm pretty much won over at this point. I said early on that I'd love to see him after a Robinson pre-season and I really hope that can be made to happen as he does still look multiple levels of fitness below the rest of the team.

The other point  is that in a team of big fit guys that run around a lot flattening everything in their path, there really is a need for a bit of guile and creativity - and Ciftci (along with Tanner) have been doing a more than decent job in that dept. In the 'Well thread, I mentioned Higdon, Ojamaa & Murphy as a perfect blend as far as forward lines go - the current 3 aren't as good or perfect as that - but there is a very good blend happening as the 1st choice 11 has settled down post-break.

I completely understand the views of the fans of other clubs, mainly because the best compliment you can pay Ciftci (and one that echoes what capt says above), is that he fits into the team extremely well. I think we as 'well fans would be the first to admit that's the LAST thing we expected him to do when he arrived, so you can't really be surprised if non-'well fans still hold that negative opinion.

I think the other thing is that a lot of what he's bringing to the team is one touch stuff, it's easy to miss (or dismiss); the backheel to Main for the penalty against Accies, the wee cushioned header for Campbell to run on to in the build up to the opener against St Johnstone, the reverse ball through to Main to put him in 1 v 1 with Mannus, in both Dundee games it's Ciftci who's laying the ball off for McHugh to knock it into the channel which led to goals in both matches.

That's just off the top of my head.

The thing is that because it's one and two-touch stuff (and doesn't get credited in terms of goals and assists) then unless you're actually looking for his involvement it's easy for people who are looking for and demanding end product to simply write him off.

Agree 100% that the way he's fitted into the side isn't anything like I was expecting.

30 minutes ago, Swello said:

as the 1st choice 11 has settled down post-break.

When was the last time we made a change at half-time?  That was turning into a Robinson speciality at one point.

But Desp's point remains - you do get the feeling that we are not making as many screeching handbrake turns in games where big changes were being made to rescue a point.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

But Desp's point remains - you do get the feeling that we are not making as many screeching handbrake turns in games where big changes were being made to rescue a point.

Ha! Aye, that wasn't meant to undercut Desp's point it was purely intended as an answer his question!

1 hour ago, Al B said:

So for anyone as disorganised as @thisGRAEME and myself, you can PATG at whatever that shithole is called these days.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Thank you @Al B.

I'll be the boy in the queue being snide to the thicko Accies stewards if anyone needs me on Saturday.

Gazebo BOIS!

Archived