Sign in to follow this  
G_Man1985

Money abroad

Used Revolut last year, no problem. Wife doesn't trust it though so she wants to take £3000 cash on our trip this year

Barclaycard Platinum Travel has no fees for ATM withdrawals (foreign currency) or foreign purchases.

What's the benefit of using Revolut instead of going into Thomas cook and putting money on a travel card? Is it all about the real time exchange rates?

39 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

What's the benefit of using Revolut instead of going into Thomas cook and putting money on a travel card? Is it all about the real time exchange rates?

Better exchange rate, no charge for using an ATM up to a certain limit and you can top it up in seconds using the app. Also you can jump on it when some good news sends the pound up temporarily.  I see the rate is now £1=1.113 with Revolut, 1.095 with Thomas Cook. Maybe not a huge difference, but it's a pint or 2 at the airport if you buy a few hundred euros. And you can store multiple currencies on it, with no charge for loading it with pounds as a default currency. TC charge 2% for that.

Edited by welshbairn

Im pissing off to Cyprus (N) in October for a week. Given the fact that old racists are currently fucking up the pound, what is the best likely option in the next couple of months?  I know the missus will insist on taking cash (some is fine, when best to change it these days though).

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Im pissing off to Cyprus (N) in October for a week. Given the fact that old racists are currently fucking up the pound, what is the best likely option in the next couple of months?  I know the missus will insist on taking cash (some is fine, when best to change it these days though).

Using the Revolut card above you can instantly buy Euros at the inter bank rate when you want. It's about 1.10 to the pound today, I'd say that's about half way between the worst and best rate your likely to get over the next couple of months, between parity and 1.20. For cash I use https://www.thecurrencyclub.co.uk/ who deliver next day for free, the rate is lower, about 1.08, but much better than the Post Office or even worse at the airport. I'm going on holiday around the same time, so took about half of what I need at the current rate, and am gambling on the markets getting optimistic for a deal if only for a day to see a spike higher than say 1.15 before my holiday. Bear in mind I'm a terrible gambler so you should probably ignore this, and the evens to 1.20 range suggested is pure guesswork. What I definitely wouldn't do is just take a debit card over and take whatever rate they're offering at the time like the good old stable days, that's like playing roulette.

Edited by welshbairn

For anyone with experience, what is the availability of ATMs in Cambodia like (Siem Reap and Phnom Pehn specifically)? 

Going to Thailand and Cambodia and planning to use Revolut, but had heard that Cambodia it’s a little harder to come by an ATM and card usage isn’t hugely common either.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Take us dollars with you.There are atms but they only seemed to be in major locations/big bank branches.I had been pre warned and took 500 bucks for a week and it was plenty

For anyone with experience, what is the availability of ATMs in Cambodia like (Siem Reap and Phnom Pehn specifically)? 
Going to Thailand and Cambodia and planning to use Revolut, but had heard that Cambodia it’s a little harder to come by an ATM and card usage isn’t hugely common either.

There were a fair few in Siem Reap. It definitely won't be an issue.

25 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

No idea about Cambodia, but you should load your Revolut card up with Baht when the news cycle seems right, probably before you go, and insist on paying for everything with Baht rather than Sterling, in shops etc as well as ATMs. 

Plenty of ATM’s around Phnom Pehn and Siem Reap. Never had issues using cards, but of course cash for street food and local shops.

Cheers everyone, sounds like no need to take huge chunks of cash. Will probably still take a small sum of Baht and US Dollars just to have something but will put most of it on the Revolut.

Anyone had experience using WeSwap?

It's been recommended to me by a friend but it all sounds too good to be true.

On 08/09/2019 at 02:51, MeadowArab said:

Anyone had experience using WeSwap?

It's been recommended to me by a friend but it all sounds too good to be true.

Is that one of those mucky swingers sites?