Partick Thistle vs Aberdeen

May was, again, unconvincing and didn't provide much of a goal threat. When he came on, however, Rooney arguably offered even less. Maynard is a banter player, and the early indicators are that Cosgrove is too. It should be said that the service was very limited yesterday, but none of our striking options are particularly appetising at the moment. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Stevie May is a shadow of the player he was before he left the Johniies. I appreciate he’s done well to come back from serious injury but football wise he seems to offer nothing to the Dons. I’d start Rooney over him without a doubt.

Said it at the time, but a 4 year deal for someone coming back from an injury as bad as his was crazy. Even more so when you add in the transfer fee and presumably very high wages for this level. Plus he's 25, it's not like he's some young guy you need to tie down to ensure a big price when you sell him.

His success at this level was all about his powerful running and finishing, that long out the game with an injury that bad is surely going to have an affect on that.

I don't see much of Aberdeen but I'm also not really sure his style fits into their preferred formation. He's not a lone striker who will hold up play, like Rooney has usually done. And he's not a wide player. Again, not sure why he was signed given McInnes has always stuck with that system.

12 minutes ago, archie guevara said:

Anyone think Kenny McLean will get a Scotland call up again? Ever?

McLeish was at your game this weekend and has the opportunity to try players out in the friendlies this month.

I'd say there is quite a decent chance the likes of McKenna, Shinnie and McLean could get picked.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I think that McLean has been our one shining light over the last 4 miserable games. 

He's been the only midfielder that has looked like an attacking threat. 

A heartening display in terms of grit and what will hopefully prove to be crucial point.

I thought Woods, McCarthy and Elliot were all excellent. It would be criminal for McCarthy to drop out for Osman next week; he gave us a bite in midfield that has been absent all season long, the tackle on Christie towards the end was an absolute topper. Wouldn't be averse to seeing Osman join Woods and McCarthy in a three man midfield, though.

Aberdeen were significantly poorer than they were at the start of the season. McLean was their most likely threat but even then, his final ball was often either overhit or inaccurate. May is still a diving wee fud - how anyone could claim for a penalty for the incident in the first half is absurd. McKenna was a standout and completely nullified Sammon which isn't quite as easy as it once was; very deserving of an international call on that evidence.

I'm still confident that we'll finish above 11th but it's not going to be pretty.

Great point as I seriously thought we’d get hee haw. As Archie says builds some solidarity and I hope Archie keeps it consistent and plays McCarthy again next week. Going to the capital won’t be easy even if Hearts are struggling to score goals. I think I’d happily take another point and set sights on just making sure we play good football leading up to County game.

We should have enough in tank once split happens to get out of this but if we end up bottom or in the play off I think we deserve it for the poor results up to now. The lads are talented but they need to grow some baws and fight hard for every ball and cover every blade of grass. We certainly don’t want to end up like Dundee with infighting and a manager who is a complete head case.

Love to get by the Dee in the next few games. [emoji1303]

Archived