ARFC v AUFC

Ayr United - League One Champions 2017/18

Enjoy it lads. Was at the game tonight, that’s three times I’ve been at Cliftonhill this season. I’ve seen us make and arse of it twice and you drive forth and get a win, when Albion really were worth a point IMO. That’s why you will win the league. Not a chance we’ll get 3 points at Airdrie.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm so tempted to go tonight. It's an hour and half for me though so I'll need to leave fairly soon.

It's a great feeling when football makes you desperate to go to games you had no intention of making.
Get along or gtfo

I've just arrived home after a 40 minute drive around the delights of the lanarkshire countryside. I somehow ended up back at cliftonhill and did the manly thing of guessing again rather than asking for directions. Bad things happen when your phone dies, and bad things happen in lanarkshire.

What a game though. Shitey performance but all that mattered was the win.

A special mention for Ryan mcguffie. Twice now in the space of a week he's came on and got us the goal we needed (I know it was just an assist tonight but he made that out of nothing).

And Lawrence shankland is a beautiful big b*****d. Nothing more really needs to be said.

There's only one Ryan McGuffie

I love that everyone is playing their part at the moment.

Mcdaid seemed to go off the boil after a bright start to the season, but he was my motm against raith and has been generally very good recently. Forrest has bossed games but when he has an off night mcguffie steps up. I've been critical of him this season but what a crucial contribution in the last week.

Excellent 3 points. Thought it was a bad omen when we got on the train at Queen St and it decided not to stop anywhere until we got to Airdrie! Jumped in a taxi with surely the only Ayr fan in shorts and made the game.

Not a great performance but did enough. Geggan, Forrest and Crawford all below par (and i'm a big fan of all 3) Ruddy sold the 1st but did OK otherwise I thought. Kerr was very good, Rose and Bell actually seemed pretty solid despite what folk seem to be saying on here. Also didn't see Trouten running the game as someone said, he was just his usual. Delighted Shankland has got over his long scoring drought as well. If he had scored that one where he brought it down on the chest wide right then worked his way through it would have been beautiful.

Bring on the Queens Park. 5 wins to go.

7 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

This penalty claim should be interesting to see, with both managers adamant it was/wasn't.

Would’ve been soft. From the highlights the Albion player was waiting for any sort of contact.

Its one you’ll shout for, but if given against you, you’re no very happy.

10 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

honest question for the honest men

why do yous think it's acceptable to sing black b*******?

I know Ayrshire get slagged for being behind the times but fucking hell

lost all respect for yous there guys

Get a grip

10 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

does it not embarrass yous that people think your being racist I would be mortified

The only person embarrasing themselves is you. You've even been moaning about it over on twitter. If you thought Ayr fans were being racist why didn't you confront them or report it to the nearest steward and it could of been dealt with there and then.

You've already been told that "Black" in Ayrshire can also mean dirty, unwashed and that is the context its being used in that song. I dont see why we should change the lyrics just because of a couple of want to be outraged people.

On to the game, We managed to grind that out. Went two nil up and looked in cruise control but a combination of poor goalkeeping and defending seen it go to 2-2. However we got stuck in and got the winner. Shankland was playing like a man possessed and was delighted for him to get his goal. His reaction at the goal and then at the FT whistle showed how much it meant to him.

As for Albion Rovers, I wasn't at the opening game of the season but the twice I've seen them they've given us tough games and in Alan Trouten they have one of the most naturally gifted footballers in the league. They are a better side than Queens Park and I'd expect them to finish at worst 9th however due to yer boi's Chris's comments I hope you get relegated and never return. :P

Got to agree with Rovers fans ,if that tackle went in on an Ayr player I would be screaming for a penalty no contact on ball and player nudged over , winning ugly and coming back from losing a 2 goal league is normally the sign of champions , come on Ayr 5 wins and title is ours 

6 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Got to agree with Rovers fans ,if that tackle went in on an Ayr player I would be screaming for a penalty no contact on ball and player nudged over , winning ugly and coming back from losing a 2 goal league is normally the sign of champions , come on Ayr 5 wins and title is ours 

Not a penalty, it was a perfect shoulder tackle. Great defending.  :thumsup2

I was shocked that McCall didnt pull Crawford and Forrest at about the 60minute mark, Crawford had a bit of a stinker 2nd half and McDaid would have freshened things up down the wings, especially against that big left back who just needed to breathe near Forrest to put him off the ball

Haven't been impressed with Boyle since his return from injury either...he's been very erratic and his forward passing seems to go to an opponent more often than not

Shankland a class act once again, and Moore had a decent game but I think it needs to be one or the other paired up with Moff or all three of them...there's a bit of a missing link when Moore and Shankland play together i feel.

Rose and Bell seem to have formed quite a decent partnership, but I'm wondering if either Ruddy doesn't trust them or vice-versa as there was a couple of times Ruddy shouted for it and Bell or Rose hoofed it away

Anyway...a good three points and meltdown from an Opposition fan across multiple platforms , lovely :)

Archived