League 1 Team of the Year

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thomson should make any team with the sheer number of goals he's on. Pretty sure he's scored more than Buchanan this season. Probably had more time in the opposition box too tbf

We can’t criticise Buchanan though. It’s obviously the service he gets.. or some of our deluded fans seem to think.

32 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

We can’t criticise Buchanan though. It’s obviously the service he gets.. or some of our deluded fans seem to think.

Buchanan hasn't done enough, but the service he gets is still a valid point.  We are currently asking a striker who is essentially a poacher to be one of our main focal points up front by launching long balls to him.  That is never going to work.  I do think we got him a year too late though.

He's here to stay though. Smith is shoe horning him into the side. He couldn't wait to bring him on last week. Shame as its at the detriment to our best player in Vaughan, who hasn't been very good since the turn of the year.

Buchanan hasn't done enough, but the service he gets is still a valid point.  We are currently asking a striker who is essentially a poacher to be one of our main focal points up front by launching long balls to him.  That is never going to work.  I do think we got him a year too late though.
He's here to stay though. Smith is shoe horning him into the side. He couldn't wait to bring him on last week. Shame as its at the detriment to our best player in Vaughan, who hasn't been very good since the turn of the year.

As a poacher, it should be his speciality to score sitters then when given the opportunity? I’ve seen him miss countless sitters this season so I wouldn’t class him as a poacher either. The only thing he’s got going for him is his first touch. He doesn’t look interested half the time either.

11 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

As a poacher, it should be his speciality to score sitters then when given the opportunity? I’ve seen him miss countless sitters this season so I wouldn’t class him as a poacher either. The only thing he’s got going for him is his first touch. He doesn’t look interested half the time either.

He hasnt helped himself, but he scored over 25 goals at this level last season. There's obviously something there. The fact he looks unlikely to score a fraction of that such a short time later can't all be blamed on him.

We saw last season with Ryan Hardie how having an ineffective midfield can make a good striker look poor.

Smith is obsessed with Buchanan though and will play him any way he can. The fact he used him as the first change last week shows that. Buchanan could be a useful player for us, but he's no use being shoe horned into the side.

13 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Marc McCallum in goals for Forfar has been outstanding against probably every team in the league. We'd be way adrift without his performances this season.

This, 100%.

If we stay up, this man will have had a huge hand in it (pardon the pun).

Don't see how Robbie Crawford could be left out of the team of the year.  Haven't seen a better midfielder than him all season.  

If he’d been fit for most of it then he’d be a shoe in.

Can't see any of my own team feature but had Furtado continued I suspect he might have. In goals I think the Forfar goalie has looked really good. If we exclude all the loan players at all clubs I would certainly see Ayr and Raith provide most of the side, but just to be different, I wuld include Alan Trouten from the Albion and Ricky Little has looked quality for many seasons so he could slot in a back four or three formation, Up front I think Vaughan and Shankland are well ahead  but I can't quite get my midfield decided. Last season I would have gone for Page at EF but he seems to have slipped back.  At Alloa I think Cawley   and  Flanagan could be there. So here goes:

MCCallum

Little/Davidson/Higgins( before injury)

Cawley /Trouten/Robertson/Turner/Furtado

Vaughan/Shankland

Sub Goalie Parry and a few others for defence etc.

Based on what I’ve seen or read, highlights, personal preference too, bit of fun

McCallum

Thomas O’Brien
Andy Graham
Ricky Little

Declan McDaid
Angus Beith
Scott Robertson
Scott Martin (he’s fucking brilliant by the way can’t believe he’s not been mentioned by anybody)
Scott Stewart

Lawrence Shankland
Alan Trouten

18 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Based on what I’ve seen or read, highlights, personal preference too, bit of fun

McCallum

Thomas O’Brien
Andy Graham
Ricky Little

Declan McDaid
Angus Beith
Scott Robertson
Scott Martin (he’s fucking brilliant by the way can’t believe he’s not been mentioned by anybody)
Scott Stewart

Lawrence Shankland
Alan Trouten

Are Beith and Martin not on loan from "higher" clubs? but Beith is excellent whereas I can't remember seeing Martin. Interesting to see you pick Scott Stewart but I would play him on the right. Good to see he has signed on with us next season+. O'Brien would slot into my place for Higgins but I would find a place for Vaughan. All a matter of opinion

Are Beith and Martin not on loan from "higher" clubs? but Beith is excellent whereas I can't remember seeing Martin. Interesting to see you pick Scott Stewart but I would play him on the right. Good to see he has signed on with us next season+. O'Brien would slot into my place for Higgins but I would find a place for Vaughan. All a matter of opinion

Yeah but not sure why that doesn’t mean they couldn’t be chosen for this?

Scott Martin is on loan from Hibs, no surprised at all that he played a part in the first team at Hibs in their league winning season but very surprised he’s at us. Best player on the pitch most games I’ve seen him play in my opinion.

Tried to mix it up as much as I could and throw in players from a few teams so thought of Stewart, although few from Alloa would be in with a shout and I also personally like the guy Anderson at Stranraer.

GK - Neil Parry

RB - Callum Crane 

CB -  Andy Graham

CB - Chris Higgins 

LB - Ewan Murray 

MF -  Scott Robertson

MF -  Robbie Crawford 

MF - Alan Trouten 

FW - Lewis Vaughan

FW - Lawrence Shankland 

FW - Michael Moffat 

Yeah but not sure why that doesn’t mean they couldn’t be chosen for this?

Scott Martin is on loan from Hibs, no surprised at all that he played a part in the first team at Hibs in their league winning season but very surprised he’s at us. Best player on the pitch most games I’ve seen him play in my opinion.

Tried to mix it up as much as I could and throw in players from a few teams so thought of Stewart, although few from Alloa would be in with a shout and I also personally like the guy Anderson at Stranraer.
Fair enough to include loan players :it's just that I have seen so many in our team that I wanted to avoid such temporary players.

Archived