Scott McTominay

This is excellent for Scotland.  With the likes of McTominay, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong etc. the Scotland team has good depth in central midfield.  There are still some depth issues other places (such as in the centre of defence) but this is very positive for Scotland

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Can't believe the negativity from some on here. Fair play to the lad, delighted he has picked us.

I can believe it. Plenty on here love to be able to put the boot in as quickly as possible.

Good news, early days obviously but let’s hope he goes on to be a big player for us. 

I cant help but feel he’ll get the Darren Fletcher treatment and people will expect a superstar when he plays for us. They’ll be expecting him to be beating men and scoring wonder goals even when that’s not the type of player he is. 

Anyway, first caps in the end of season games?

4 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Good news, early days obviously but let’s hope he goes on to be a big player for us. 

I cant help but feel he’ll get the Darren Fletcher treatment and people will expect a superstar when he plays for us. They’ll be expecting him to be beating men and scoring wonder goals even when that’s not the type of player he is. 

Pretty much this. He won't dominate the game on his debut and that'll be that for him in the supporters eyes

From what I’ve seen of McTominay so far is that when he gets the ball to feet his first instinct is to see if a forward pass is on. He did this several times and was excellent in the Chelsea game. So many sitting midfielders nowadays are just too shitebaggy or lazy and just play boring sideways passes. Think too many of them are bothered about their passing stats or not wanting shouted at for being the guy who lost possession.

9 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

From what I’ve seen of McTominay so far is that when he gets the ball to feet his first instinct is to see if a forward pass is on. He did this several times and was excellent in the Chelsea game. So many sitting midfielders nowadays are just too shitebaggy or lazy and just play boring sideways passes. Think too many of them are bothered about their passing stats or not wanting shouted at for being the guy who lost possession.

Good spot and completely agree.  Always felt that was what held Paul McStay back from living up to his early potential at International level.

35 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Erm no first caps this month

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The fact he's told England to f**k off will buy him plenty of time.  I'm slightly concerned that he'd still opt to play for them if they put him in their World Cup squad though.

Any idea how many players have played for one senior UK nation and then gone on to change over to another? 

Can't be very many and seems pretty taboo once you're past the youth teams. Assume he'll be capped in the upcoming friendlies 

Good spot and completely agree.  Always felt that was what held Paul McStay back from living up to his early potential at International level.

I’m not sure, you might be right but from what I recall of Paul McStay, he was just never near as good as some folk made out. However, I will admit that I was still pretty small when McStay broke through and his early days are a bit of a blur to me.

I’m not sure, you might be right but from what I recall of Paul McStay, he was just never near as good as some folk made out. However, I will admit that I was still pretty small when McStay broke through and his early days are a bit of a blur to me.

I think what held McStay back ironically was that he didn't leave Celtic and venture further afield. He was a cracking player and more than often sprayed his passes forward. Peter Grant made up for the sideways passing in that team.

31 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

When McStay played in high level games, Euro 92 sticks out, he looked absolutely top drawer. He should have played for Juventus or the like.

Pleased that McTominay has chosen to play for Scotland. Gives us another option in midfield thankfully. Fair play to Alex McLeish, first big task in the intray and passed with flying colours. Well done to the big guy.

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

This is excellent for Scotland.  With the likes of McTominay, John McGinn, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong etc. the Scotland team has good depth in central midfield.  There are still some depth issues other places (such as in the centre of defence) but this is very positive for Scotland

Cairney and Fleck too. 

In central defence, I'm hoping that Hendry, Lindsay and Souttar will make the grade.