Scott McTominay

6 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Shaw, McGuire and AWB were the worst players on the pitch. Mctominay was given an impossible job without the front four pressing.

As I mentioned earlier most people had wrote off Henderson at a similar age.

100% this

Fred and McTominay had mission impossible. The defence was a disgrace.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

McTominay and Fred get all the flak for United being shite as the podcasters, we know the main one, refuse to slag off Maguire and Shaw due to England getting to the Euro final.

Shaw was disgusting yesterday.  A total jobber who gets an easy ride due to the fact that last season he saw a lot of the ball and sprinted forward with it a few times.  And his goal against Italy of course.  Maguire is just a bog standard PL centre half.  He's not shite but he's definitely not brilliant or world class.

£80m they paid for him

And he's absolutely average 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

But those are two players who played in a European Championship final (and a World Cup semi-final in the case of Maguire) and someone with 24 caps for Brazil. It's easy to have a go at these guys, but I reckon they'd easily get a game for any club outside of Liverpool, City and Chelsea.

Even if that's true (unconvinced it is on Fred and McTominay), Man U fans aren't going to be happy with being 4th best no matter the reality of their situation.

McTominay is a good player, he's not world class though and that's what Man U fans expect in the centre of their midfield.  He's far less of a problem than some of their players, and much less than the manager, but you're not winning the title with him in central midfield as first choice.

36 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Even if that's true (unconvinced it is on Fred and McTominay), Man U fans aren't going to be happy with being 4th best no matter the reality of their situation.

McTominay is a good player, he's not world class though and that's what Man U fans expect in the centre of their midfield.  He's far less of a problem than some of their players, and much less than the manager, but you're not winning the title with him in central midfield as first choice.

That was a reply to someone saying he was a mid-table player.

I would say describing Maguire as average is fairly generous tbh. You'll struggle to find a centre-back in world football more consistently caught out of position. Almost every goal Man U concede Maguire is AWOL, an absolutely shocking player.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

10 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I would say describing Maguire as average is fairly generous tbh. You'll struggle to find a centre-back in world football more consistently caught out of position. Almost every goal Man U concede Maguire is AWOL, an absolutely shocking player.

I think within the right system he’d be a decent player, as shown in the Euros where he was part of a defence that barely conceded a goal, nearly won the final and earned him a place in the team of the tournament. Ole is a clown though, who is failing to get the best out of multiple talented players this season, such as Sancho and Rashford as well. He’s the main issue imo.

On 24/10/2021 at 21:45, Ro Sham Bo said:

McTominay was way down the list of their problems today. 

Agreed, I think the morons  in the media at the last Euros who were suggesting Shaw was the best left back in the world should automatically be sacked for gross misconduct.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Agreed, I think the morons  in the media at the last Euros who were suggesting Shaw was the best left back in the world should automatically be sacked for gross misconduct.

He's barely the best LB at United.  

20 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Were you in a coma last season?   Shane Duffy anyone?

11 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I think within the right system he’d be a decent player, as shown in the Euros where he was part of a defence that barely conceded a goal, nearly won the final and earned him a place in the team of the tournament. Ole is a clown though, who is failing to get the best out of multiple talented players this season, such as Sancho and Rashford as well. He’s the main issue imo.

Indeed, but he also has some major weaknesses and will be targeted by attackers in every game at the elite level. The statement I saw that I quite liked on redcafe was when he is good he is effective (not great but in effective in a Gary Cahill / Marco Materazzi type way) but when he's bad he's truly horrific. 

I've referenced Henderson before but at McTominays age Kante had just been signed by Leicster City. Players in that position tend to see their best football later in their career.

Jorginho (who I concede is a very different player) had just moved to Napoli along with Allan.

22 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Also seems to be the fans' chose scapegoat at the minute for some reason.

Probably his nationality. They won’t crirtise the English defenders who are the reason they’re so shite. They’ll go for the Scottish midfielder.

On 13/10/2021 at 11:39, 2426255 said:

McTominay and Gilmour in midfield wasn't a good balance last night, could give it a chance but I do struggle to see it being a good balance unless Gilmour can put more of a contribution in defensively to allow Robbo and Tierney to actually combine. 

When I'm right I'm right.

“You always need to have cover. If Kieran goes, Andy will sit in. If Andy’s already gone, Kieran won’t go on a crazy overlap. Well, maybe he will once or twice! But not very often. And you also have intelligent midfielders on that side, normally I’ve got Callum McGregor on the left and he’s such an intelligent footballer - he knows that if there’s an overload, he can slide across and cover the position."

Steve Clarke

Didn't feel like we missed him last night, solid at the back and the team played well with us looking more together using defenders who play in those positions weekly. With the centre of the park also looking excellent with Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor could we actually be reaching the point its time for SC to accept that just because he plays for Man U that he may not be the best option every time to start?

Didn't feel like we missed him last night, solid at the back and the team played well with us looking more together using defenders who play in those positions weekly. With the centre of the park also looking excellent with Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor could we actually be reaching the point its time for SC to accept that just because he plays for Man U that he may not be the best option every time to start?
Agreed, feel last night showed he should be sub, not a bad option to have off the bench though! Said to my mates last night that we have a proper squad of 15-16 guys you'd be happy starting with; McT, Dykes, Hendry, Hanley, Patterson could have potentially started had they all been available.