Scott McTominay

Guest DAVIDB69

We need to move away from the just because he is on the books of mentality he needs to play. Nothing against the lad but like mcburnie I have not saw anything that suggests he is going to be significant for us,

4 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

We need to move away from the just because he is on the books of mentality he needs to play. Nothing against the lad but like mcburnie I have not saw anything that suggests he is going to be significant for us,

Again we really actually need to move away from fans thinking they have a clue what they're talking about, or just cause they haven't seen something it isn't there.  Maybe you just can't see it? 

He's at Man Utd BECAUSE he's good, he's not good because he's at Man Utd. If any of our other midfielders were as good as him, they'd be at clubs like that too.  They're not, so he starts. 

And he just was given a new five year deal by Man Utd btw, the third biggest club in the world.  If that's not good enough for Scotland I'm Tupac Shakur.

3 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Sometimes with a squad player at a big club it is probably good fortune that they came through the youths because it may have been unlikely that the club (Man Utd) would sign them from another club. Players like O'Shea, Wes Brown etc. had good careers but when their time at Man Utd was up they found themselves at Sunderland who were premier league at the time but was probably was more their true level in terms of being a regular starter.

However if McTominay wasn't any good Man Utd would just let him go. They do release a load of players every year and if they didn't rate him they would let him go and could sell him for a decent fee. There is a reason he is still at Man Utd and he's now played under several managers who have kept him there. 

I agree with you to a point but then players generally find their level. People wanted Jack Harper in the Scotland squad simply because he was at Real Madrid, he now finds himself at Alcorcon in the Spanish 2nd division. They are of a similar age. Why is one still at a top club and one further down the divisions? 

52 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Sometimes with a squad player at a big club it is probably good fortune that they came through the youths because it may have been unlikely that the club (Man Utd) would sign them from another club. Players like O'Shea, Wes Brown etc. had good careers but when their time at Man Utd was up they found themselves at Sunderland who were premier league at the time but was probably was more their true level in terms of being a regular starter.

However if McTominay wasn't any good Man Utd would just let him go. They do release a load of players every year and if they didn't rate him they would let him go and could sell him for a decent fee. There is a reason he is still at Man Utd and he's now played under several managers who have kept him there. 

I agree with you to a point but then players generally find their level. People wanted Jack Harper in the Scotland squad simply because he was at Real Madrid, he now finds himself at Alcorcon in the Spanish 2nd division. They are of a similar age. Why is one still at a top club and one further down the divisions? 

Good post.  Tbf people wanted Jack Harper in the u19 squad when he was at Madrid, not the full squad.

On 23/07/2020 at 08:04, DAVIDB69 said:

You're a fucking idiot though.

Guest DAVIDB69
You're a fucking idiot though.

As long as we have idiots like yourself we will always stay in the depths of where we are.

• 1 month later...

Par for the course I guess but Man U fans starting to turn on Scott. Actually watched the match yesterday and thought he was ok (never a defensive midfielder though). Far worse players on the pitch e.g. Lingard, McGuire and Pogba. He's 23 now, so still young, but he's in danger of becoming 'game time lost' in a bang average team.
Time for a loan move maybe. Perhaps a Leeds, Newcastle, West Ham move could push him forward.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Par for the course I guess but Man U fans starting to turn on Scott. Actually watched the match yesterday and thought he was ok (never a defensive midfielder though). Far worse players on the pitch e.g. Lingard, McGuire and Pogba. He's 23 now, so still young, but he's in danger of becoming 'game time lost' in a bang average team.
Time for a loan move maybe. Perhaps a Leeds, Newcastle, West Ham move could push him forward.

Fans who couldn’t tell you a name of one stand at Old Trafford shout loudest on Twitter. They also keep bamming up Eric Bailly and he’s a disaster of a CB.

McTominay was murder yesterday in fairness, just careering round the park shoving or kicking people who are faster than him. He's usually nowhere near as bad as that so hopefully just a one off.
I didn't think he was too bad in comparison to his team mates. In fairness they all look flat and a tad out of shape. However on a few occasions he had opportunities to really push into space in front of him but just hangs back. Probably been told to do that but really good players need to take some risk. He seems to play safe.

That just comes with the territory being at a big club. They have a lot of hanger-on fans and fans who don't have a clue about the game, so you get more stick, there's more scrutiny too.  Darren Fletcher had it as well, best to take no notice of it and carry on. 

He's a decent player and certainly not one of their worst players, though I agree it helps get the best out of him to release him to go forward a little more.

19 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

So does he still need to be shoe horned into our side next month despite lacking games and any form

You're aware that the discussion going on here relates to him actually playing in Manchester United's very first game of the season?

He’s being played out of position, he’s a box to box midfielder, he’s naturally suited to playing in a midfield 3 alongside a holding, defensive midfielder and a passing, playmaker. In all honesty if Mctominey is going to reach his full potential he may have to leave UTD and play for a team that will play him in his natural position.

He’s being played out of position, he’s a box to box midfielder, he’s naturally suited to playing in a midfield 3 alongside a holding, defensive midfielder and a passing, playmaker. In all honesty if Mctominey is going to reach his full potential he may have to leave UTD and play for a team that will play him in his natural position.
I agree

24 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Rscot said:

I agree

You could play him in the right side of a midfield 4, alongside 2 central mids and a left sided winger or another central midfielder. But he’s not suited to Man Utd system. 

Guest DAVIDB69
You're aware that the discussion going on here relates to him actually playing in Manchester United's very first game of the season?

Yes I am but not ignoring the fact that he was utterly useless when he has been playing for us or as in the case yesterday

Just now, DAVIDB69 said:

Yes I am but not ignoring the fact that he was utterly useless when he has been playing for us or as in the case yesterday

So your if your aware yesterday was the first game of his clubs season. Which he played in. Also played twice for us recently. So really hes played more than most players.

Yet you said he was "lacking games" what did you mean by that?

Also when he was playing for Scotland recently he was played out of position. Which caused him to play poorly. I'm sure you are also aware of this.

6 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

So your if your aware yesterday was the first game of his clubs season. Which he played in. Also played twice for us recently. So really hes played more than most players.

Yet you said he was "lacking games" what did you mean by that?

Also when he was playing for Scotland recently he was played out of position. Which caused him to play poorly. I'm sure you are also aware of this.

You could argue that’s he’s being played out of position for Man Utd, in a role that isn’t his natural role. That’s my opinion, and why I think it maybe best if he left and went somewhere he was allowed to play his natural position, role.

Edited by Rscot