Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

He’d be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Always impresses for Scotland IMO.

Always?

You forgetting the last minute against England at Hampden? Or away to Kazakhstan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Always?

You forgetting the last minute against England at Hampden? Or away to Kazakhstan? 

One bad pass in a game that he otherwise did very well in is incredibly harsh, and literally every single player was abysmal against Kazakhstan under McLeish, so unless we’re ruling out that entire team then again it’s very harsh to pick specifically on someone who otherwise generally performs well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the problem with the "but he isnae playing for his club" hardliners - even very good players like Armstrong can end up not quite fitting in at a club and then we're supposed to believe that he should be dropped not just from the team, but from the entire squad, despite being one of few players who can give genuine energy in the midfield.

A lot of people seem to think that the Scotland manager's job is to reward players who have been playing well for their clubs by giving them a Scotland call-up as a wee pat on the head. It's not. It's to put the right team on the field to win football matches and qualify us for tournaments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

This is the problem with the "but he isnae playing for his club" hardliners - even very good players like Armstrong can end up not quite fitting in at a club and then we're supposed to believe that he should be dropped not just from the team, but from the entire squad, despite being one of few players who can give genuine energy in the midfield.

A lot of people seem to think that the Scotland manager's job is to reward players who have been playing well for their clubs by giving them a Scotland call-up as a wee pat on the head. It's not. It's to put the right team on the field to win football matches and qualify us for tournaments.

Little from column A, little from column B.  I'd broadly agree with that, but then the manager's job is to assess whether the player not playing for his club is going to affect how he plays for us.  Is he fit enough?  Sharp enough?  If so, then he plays.

Last part, absolutely.  It might be a quote about "them", but reminds me of something I heard on a podcast around Alf Ramsay and 66.  Jack Charlton was puzzled as to why he was being picked for the squad, thinking there were better options

Quote

Luckily, Ramsey already had his eye on Jack Charlton, giving him a characteristic pep talk: “I don’t always pick the best players you know. I have a system and I look for players to fit that pattern.”

Telling Charlton he was “quite good”, Sir Alf said: “And I know you won’t trust Bobby Moore.” Seeing Charlton’s confusion, Ramsey explained that, when Moore surged upfield, he must fill the space left behind. Good with his head and his mouth, Jack was one of England’s most vocal defenders, always organising, alerting, reprimanding.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McTominay is easily the best player we have there. He's not perfect. But what Scotland player is?


Graeme shinnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're going down the rose-tinted spectacles route, then quite obviously Stephen O'Donnell, who is an absolute fucking dreamboat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2019 at 00:10, Rodhull said:

I think we have to play Mctominay as he’s the only midfielder of those who can be an effective screen for the defence. 

Ryan Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

 


Now training with the derby u21 side , would imagine back up on loan in new year

 

He's still training with the first team but obviously isn't getting picked for the league games so is playing for the under 23s.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is loaned/moved on elsewhere in January either though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oleksandr said:

Ryan Jack

Personally I wouldn't drop any of those players listed for Jack but I wouldn't be against him being called up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/08/2019 at 09:24, Honest_Man#1 said:

One bad pass in a game that he otherwise did very well in is incredibly harsh, and literally every single player was abysmal against Kazakhstan under McLeish, so unless we’re ruling out that entire team then again it’s very harsh to pick specifically on someone who otherwise generally performs well. 

So not always then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So not always then

Definitely not. But if you relegate every Scotland player to the bench/bin who has made a ricket, we'd have no players.

Armstrong's fault vs England was high profile and unfortunate, but he orchestrated our win away in Lithuania and others (smaller opposition which was probably the difference, but we need guys who can comfortably unpick 'smaller' opponents)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/08/2019 at 09:38, craigkillie said:

This is the problem with the "but he isnae playing for his club" hardliners - even very good players like Armstrong can end up not quite fitting in at a club and then we're supposed to believe that he should be dropped not just from the team, but from the entire squad, despite being one of few players who can give genuine energy in the midfield.

A lot of people seem to think that the Scotland manager's job is to reward players who have been playing well for their clubs by giving them a Scotland call-up as a wee pat on the head. It's not. It's to put the right team on the field to win football matches and qualify us for tournaments.

If we're talking energy in midfield surely John McGinn is the top dog at that? 

 

We're ridiculously stacked with players who play in that central midfield area who people can (with genuine reason) say shouldn't be left out, the afore mentioned Armstrong who does seem to always play well for Scotland, McTominay is starting games for Man Utd and is our best Dm, John McGinn is starring for Villa in the Premier and receiving massive plaudits, Christie and McGregor are fairly integral to a Celtic side that have won the treble treble, McLean was one of our best players in the last game and is well liked at Norwich (unsure whether he has played for them this season?) 

 

I'm probably forgetting others aswell but you get the point. I don't think there's necessarily a wrong answer for our Cm issue, different teams will need different players. I like the sound of McTominay, McGinn and Christie, there's plenty of combinations though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2019 at 01:51, Grant228 said:

If we're talking energy in midfield surely John McGinn is the top dog at that? 

 

We're ridiculously stacked with players who play in that central midfield area who people can (with genuine reason) say shouldn't be left out, the afore mentioned Armstrong who does seem to always play well for Scotland, McTominay is starting games for Man Utd and is our best Dm, John McGinn is starring for Villa in the Premier and receiving massive plaudits, Christie and McGregor are fairly integral to a Celtic side that have won the treble treble, McLean was one of our best players in the last game and is well liked at Norwich (unsure whether he has played for them this season?) 

 

I'm probably forgetting others aswell but you get the point. I don't think there's necessarily a wrong answer for our Cm issue, different teams will need different players. I like the sound of McTominay, McGinn and Christie, there's plenty of combinations though. 

McGinn has a different type of energy to Armstrong. He is one of the hardest working midfielders about, but he does a lot of it when his team is out of possession. When his team has the ball his running is usually about getting into position and opening up angles for passes, and then he likes to zip fast balls to keep up the energy of the team as a whole.

Armstrong runs with the ball a lot more, and can be really good at getting his team up the park when they're defending, or bursting into the box and getting between the lines when his team are attacking. I think we have far more players along the lines of McGinn than we do with Armstrong - McGregor is perhaps the closest to Armstrong in style, but he's a bit more powerful and a bit less elegant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2019 at 00:34, Gordopolis said:

Definitely not. But if you relegate every Scotland player to the bench/bin who has made a ricket, we'd have no players.

Armstrong's fault vs England was high profile and unfortunate, but he orchestrated our win away in Lithuania and others (smaller opposition which was probably the difference, but we need guys who can comfortably unpick 'smaller' opponents)

 

Didn’t say bin off players who have made mistakes.  Someone else thought he was great in every game and I pointed out he’s not.  That’s it.

He also plays less football minutes than everyone else vying for spots in positions he plays in. And it’s arguably our strongest area.  

If he’s plays regularly then he’s in the discussion. When he’s not, it’s mental putting him ahead of others than play often and are as good, if not better players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...