Jump to content

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Incorrect!!!

Correct!!!

Ruled out by Soldkjaer today!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Brilliant tonight.

Indeed.   

As long as "Brilliant tonight" doesn't mean he's better than Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, John McGinn or any other player because he's picked for a CL team.   

He might be better because of footballing ability.   Playing against PSG  as a stand alone point  isn't a reason to cap him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we play the likes of Belgium away and we need a real defensively minded midfielder he should be a starter. Scotland could potentially have 2 Scottish players in quarter finals of champions league can’t remember last time that happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

When we play the likes of Belgium away and we need a real defensively minded midfielder he should be a starter. Scotland could potentially have 2 Scottish players in quarter finals of champions league can’t remember last time that happened?

Who Two Scottish Player in Quarter Finals of Champion League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought he was immense tonight. As others have said against bigger teams and in away games I'd start him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd start him every game tbh. We don't really have anyone else playing that role. All of our midfielders are better going forward than defending 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

Indeed.   

As long as "Brilliant tonight" doesn't mean he's better than Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, John McGinn or any other player because he's picked for a CL team.   

He might be better because of footballing ability.   Playing against PSG  as a stand alone point  isn't a reason to cap him.  

He's a defensive central midfielder and he's a better defensive central midfielder than the players you have listed.

Andy Robertson is a better player than Steven Fletcher or Ollie McBurnie but you wouldn't play him as a striker ahead of them would you?

Edited by Jeremiah Cole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:41, DAVIDB69 said:

Just don’t rate him , probably be at the likes of West Brom soon

 

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 23:22, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

He's too pish for West Brom. 

But he's good enough for Man Utd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one thing that should be kept in mind is that he will be on the bench again when Matic comes back from injury next week.

I don't necessarily believe it's wrong to play players who regularly sit on the bench for their clubs, but McLeish doesn't seem to like doing it too often. I'd expect McTominay to push for a start in the games this month but back on the bench for the Cyprus game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

Indeed.   

As long as "Brilliant tonight" doesn't mean he's better than Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, John McGinn or any other player because he's picked for a CL team.   

He might be better because of footballing ability.   Playing against PSG  as a stand alone point  isn't a reason to cap him.  

He plays for Man Utd and has been trusted on more than a few occasions now to do a job in midfield in huge games.  The fact he was chosen to play against PSG and performed admirably is a huge reason to consider calling him up.  Why wouldn't you call up players who can prove themselves under the pressure of big games?

Out of interest what "any other player" is better than McTominay in midfield for Scotland and should keep him out the squad? McDonald? Cairney? Shinnie? McLean? Meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

Playing against PSG  as a stand alone point  isn't a reason to cap him.  

No. But, playing 'well' against PSG is reason enough for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

No. But, playing 'well' against PSG is reason enough for me

This.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He plays for Man Utd and has been trusted on more than a few occasions now to do a job in midfield in huge games.  The fact he was chosen to play against PSG and performed admirably is a huge reason to consider calling him up.  Why wouldn't you call up players who can prove themselves under the pressure of big games?

Out of interest what "any other player" is better than McTominay in midfield for Scotland and should keep him out the squad? McDonald? Cairney? Shinnie? McLean? Meh.

And this.

 

He has played well in an important game for Manchester United against a really good side, in a game that no-one expected Manchester United to come back and win.

Obviously time will tell how he develops, but there isn't any reason why he shouldn't be picked to play the defensive midfield role for Scotland. It would lessen the defensive burden on our more attacking/creative central midfielders and allow them to do what they do best as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

This.

And this.

 

He has played well in an important game for Manchester United against a really good side, in a game that no-one expected Manchester United to come back and win.

Obviously time will tell how he develops, but there isn't any reason why he shouldn't be picked to play the defensive midfield role for Scotland. It would lessen the defensive burden on our more attacking/creative central midfielders and allow them to do what they do best as well.

At the moment it's probably a toss up between McGinn & McTominay for this position and there's no doubt that if McTominay is good enough to be in and around the matchday Man Utd squads then he should be good enough to play for this current Scotland team. McGinn probably adds a bit more going forward or could be shoehorned into a more attacking role but McTominay appears to have the discipline required to play as the holding player.

What we wouldn't want to do is start expecting him to be a creative force in the centre (the way we did with Darren Fletcher) and just let him concentrate on doing the one job and playing a role that suits both him and us as a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

What we wouldn't want to do is start expecting him to be a creative force in the centre (the way we did with Darren Fletcher) and just let him concentrate on doing the one job and playing a role that suits both him and us as a team.

It beggars belief that people genuinely seemed to think that Darren Fletcher ought to have been some kind of World Class creator just because he played for Man U. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that's the main worry. As for McGinn in a McTominay role, he's a total liability, so McTominay should be ahead of him as a DM every single time, if that's what we're going to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

It beggars belief that people genuinely seemed to think that Darren Fletcher ought to have been some kind of World Class creator just because he played for Man U. :lol:

 

8 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

I think that's the main worry. As for McGinn in a McTominay role, he's a total liability, so McTominay should be ahead of him as a DM every single time, if that's what we're going to have.

Totally agree with both of you, however we've already read earlier on this thread about us potentially having 2 players in the last 8 of the Champions League and while that's great it's a fact that the media furore and pundits will have the pudding over egged making out that the likes of Robertson and McTominay "should" be doing more or "should" be taking us to a finals etc etc because of their "stature in the game" etc, etc.

Yes, McGinn is a liability at times with his fancy dan / suicidal attempt at dribbling on the edge of his own area or trying the "hollywood" pass which ends up straight at the feet of the un-rushing opposition Centre Forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...