Scott McTominay

57 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Is the cover shadow a thing that I've somehow missed everyone talking about?

It was mentioned in the video that@albagubrath was promoting. The Real Problem with Manchester Uniteds midfield = Scott McTominay. 

10 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It was mentioned in the video that@albagubrath was promoting. The Real Problem with Manchester Uniteds midfield = Scott McTominay. 

So many words and "technical" terms to say that he likes to move in certain ways - very few actual examples offered. He's not necessarily wrong but this is content for the sake of content, not analysis. 

It would also make sense for McSauce to sit and occupy players in the center for Scotland as it would hold them off our full backs which is clearly where our attacking intent comes from.

1 hour ago, The Algebraist said:

It would also make sense for McSauce to sit and occupy players in the center for Scotland as it would hold them off our full backs which is clearly where our attacking intent comes from.

Having watched his midfield performances in Israel and at Hampden against the Czech Republic I can see why Tifo say he has a tendency to move towards the cover shadow, but equally in the Czech Republic game he was being marked by Darida and sometimes Kral and if a team presses high and block up the centre (which the Czechs generally did in the first half) where else can he go?

After looking at Soucek and Kral's performance in the double pivot for the Czech Republic in the same game and Billy Gilmour, I think it was as a single pivot (not totally sure) for Scotland in the home game with Israel and they also at times made themselves unavailable by going into the cover shadow.

Overall my initial thoughts are that Scott McTominay was okay in those two games, but he couldn't be described as dynamic and looks quite languid in that position as if he is pacing himself, especially when compared to Gilmour or to Kral/Soucek. 

I agree with what they say about McTominay's progressive passing, it's top notch from RCB or from midfield.

Edited by 2426255

McTominay is such a big problem that every manager he has ever had plays him regularly, praises him publicly, and in the case of Mourinho, literally created an award of Managers Player of the Year to give him.

But never mind all that, a journalist with youtube thinks he's rubbish.

And it's not all because they are trying to get clicks by proposing clickbait nonsense.

And the Athletic also has plenty of articles praising Scott McTominay too, I'm sure these have been ignored.

The biggest problem McTominay has faced in his club career is that he not a pivot player; he is not a passing metronome and recycling possession is not his biggest strength.

This has often been compounded by the fact he is often forced to play with another midfield partner who is also unsuited to that role in Fred or Pogba.

He's an athletic player that needs to be allowed to cover all areas of the midfield. He is a good third man runner, but there is no space for that role in United current midfield composition. It's similar in the way that we would all consider it a waste to ask John McGinn to sit back all game. 

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

McTominay is such a big problem that every manager he has ever had plays him regularly, praises him publicly, and in the case of Mourinho, literally created an award of Managers Player of the Year to give him.

But never mind all that, a journalist with youtube thinks he's rubbish.

And it's not all because they are trying to get clicks by proposing clickbait nonsense.

And the Athletic also has plenty of articles praising Scott McTominay too, I'm sure these have been ignored.

The journalist didn't say he was rubbish, they said he is a very good player being asked to play the wrong role.

11 hours ago, Streets of Raith said:

The biggest problem McTominay has faced in his club career is that he not a pivot player; he is not a passing metronome and recycling possession is not his biggest strength.

This has often been compounded by the fact he is often forced to play with another midfield partner who is also unsuited to that role in Fred or Pogba.

He's an athletic player that needs to be allowed to cover all areas of the midfield. He is a good third man runner, but there is no space for that role in United current midfield composition. It's similar in the way that we would all consider it a waste to ask John McGinn to sit back all game. 

He’s more suited to left back… left back in the dressing room, amirite.

Is the “cover shadow” really a thing?  Or is it the new “white knight”, which was the new “quisling”, which was the new “haver”?  

Can we not just agree to send it into the ether along with XG and false nine and all these soul-suckingly meaningless phrases?  

8 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Bet Pele thinks he was glad he wasn't Scottish as 1100101 would spend every waking hour decrying him for not following his runner, or some equally turgid, trolling shite.

Now that you mention it, Pele didn't track his runners. I might have to do a deep dive into that and report my findings back here for you boys. 

On 04/05/2022 at 23:44, Savage Henry said:

Is the “cover shadow” really a thing?  Or is it the new “white knight”, which was the new “quisling”, which was the new “haver”?  

Can we not just agree to send it into the ether along with XG and false nine and all these soul-suckingly meaningless phrases?  

Are you angry at having to learn new words? 

Quisling has been around since Norway were occupied by the Nazis, false nine is the same (Hungary had one in the 50's).

This is a very yer da post.

11 hours ago, velo army said:

Are you angry at having to learn new words? 

Quisling has been around since Norway were occupied by the Nazis, false nine is the same (Hungary had one in the 50's).

This is a very yer da post.

No they didn't.

This is a talking shite post.  Teams have played that way since football began.

The phrase did not exist until 15 years ago. 

It's a fandan phrase for fandans.