Scott McTominay

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yes, I'd be very surprised to see him go. They generally play with 2 deeper midfielders and at a club like Man Utd they'd be looking to have 3 or 4 players for that position. Fred is arguably the weakest and is 28, he'll be sold off soon. It's also very clear that Man Utd are trying to build up a strong British core to their squad - Greenwood, Rashford, Sancho, Maguire, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw and McTominay. Only British players who are clearly miles out their depth like Dan James will be punted. I can't see any sense in selling off McTominay who has proven to be a more than capable player for them and still has some improving to go. His salary will be relatively low and isn't the type who will throw a huff if not playing every week, he's the kind of player those big clubs need to have in their squad.

It's probably a lazy/obvious comparison given they are/were Scottish midfielders playing for Man Utd but I think it's similar to Darren Fletcher. He was a really valuable player for Man Utd at his peak, but never really seemed to find his role for Scotland - fans always expected more of him when in reality he was quite a limited player (for Man Utd's standards obviously) who had found a niche, and then for Scotland was expected by some to take on roles that he normally didn't do. The end result was that he was still one of our best players and got an huge amount of caps, but never really seemed to thrive. I think McTominay will probably go the same way. I think crucially with McTominay the better the rest of the team the better he will become because it is more like his club environment. If you can have someone like Gilmour dictating the game then McTominay will fit more naturally into his club role. The playing at centre back thing I think was only a temporary measure until we found some centre backs, it's not something I'd want to continue with apart from games against really poor sides.

I was thinking about this earlier and the player he reminds me most of is Massimo Ambrosini.  His game is more physical compared to Fletcher who was a bit more techincal (started his career at RM). What unites all three of these players is that they have an elite mentality. I was only able to watch the highlights of the Faroes game but, like everyone, I know exactly what would happen when McTominay lined up that long range free kick. He didn't let it get to him though, in both the Israel game and against the Faroes he raised his game throughout the match. I'm sure he also spent his last off season going to a training camp rather than an holiday.

An elite mentality and excellent physique can get you very far even if the technical side of your game can be a little bit lacking. He would certainly get in the England squad and would likely start ahead of Rice or Phillips (and would have a much bigger reputation if he did). When Jordan Henderson was McTominays age Liverpool were still trying to punt him.

He's gone further than many people expected, and I think he has a long way still to go.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The phrase “cover shadow” is giving me the boke a wee bit but a decent video here.

Using the phrase “cover shadow” is frankly disgraceful, and almost completely devalues their point. 

It is strange though - why would he continually get away with doing this? Is he told not show for passes in those areas...

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I think that pretty much nails it, although it was weird he didn't mention that McTominay often plays in a back three for Scotland.

The video is called "the real problem with Manchester Uniteds midfield" so its fairly unsurprising from that the content is specifically about Manchester Uniteds midfield.

And he actually did say mctominay is comfortable in a back 3 with the game in front of him.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yup, he obviously wasn’t good but he wasn’t anything close to the worst thing about them today. He is an easy scapegoat for Man Utd fans though. 

I felt bad for their centre mids and full backs today. United front 4 never tracked back once and completely hung them out to dry, never really stood a chance. 

McTominay's main problem is that he isn't good enough to play for Man Utd in terms of where their fans think they ought to be. 
He's a mid-table standard player, so he's fine at Man Utd currently. 

If he's a mid-table player then how come he has been a first team regular in two seasons where they've finished 3rd and 2nd. Unless you think it's Solskjaer's managerial genius that has pulled together a bunch of substandard players to turn them into one of the best teams in the country then surely he's better than that.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If he's a mid-table player then how come he has been a first team regular in two seasons where they've finished 3rd and 2nd. Unless you think it's Solskjaer's managerial genius that has pulled together a bunch of substandard players to turn them into one of the best teams in the country then surely he's better than that.

You could argue the same about Fred, Maguire and even Rashford and Lindelof. I don't think you'll have many arguing these are all examples of top quality Premier League players either. 

Bruno Fernandes got them out of jail a lot, particularly from the penalty spot. Perhaps they were just fortunate that he papered over the very large cracks with his impressive form? 

But those are two players who played in a European Championship final (and a World Cup semi-final in the case of Maguire) and someone with 24 caps for Brazil. It's easy to have a go at these guys, but I reckon they'd easily get a game for any club outside of Liverpool, City and Chelsea.

McTominay and Fred get all the flak for United being shite as the podcasters, we know the main one, refuse to slag off Maguire and Shaw due to England getting to the Euro final.

Shaw was disgusting yesterday.  A total jobber who gets an easy ride due to the fact that last season he saw a lot of the ball and sprinted forward with it a few times.  And his goal against Italy of course.  Maguire is just a bog standard PL centre half.  He's not shite but he's definitely not brilliant or world class.