Scott McTominay

9 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

McGregor has had a better season than both Marshall and Gordon. I would though be happy seeing any one of them play in goals for us - I don't think McGregor is a huge step up even if he is hitting some good form. 

Its easy to have a good season playing in a team that faces about one shot every six weeks. 

He's done, he can't move the way he used to anymore and its masked as he plays for a team that skooshes all their games.

One eye catching save in Europe means nothing. Marshall's fingertip stop against Serbia was better and McGregor wouldn't have got to that.  If he doesn't make that save we don't go to the Euros.

4 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He's really not that good anyway, Rangers fans go on about him but he's basically done. He isn't any better than Marshall or Gordon and never has been. Realistically my mum could play in goal for Rangers most weeks and do fine and they hardly face any shots. McGregor wouldn't be an upgrade on what we have and is an arsehole so I'm glad he never got to play in a tournament.

Aye but your mums great at handling balls

• 1 month later...

I think in all the disappointment from the game against Croatia it may have gone under the radar how good his performance was, particularly on the ball - probably our best player on the night. We certainly haven't moved any further forward in deciding whether to play him in centre midfield or at centre back. I think a combination of our midfield depth and Jack Hendry fading out as the tournament progressed might see him as centre back in the upcoming qualifiers.

• 3 months later...

He's undoubtedly a high profile and talented player, has done a decent job for us at centre back, and very recently saved our bacon (no offensive pun intended) against Israel... but I'm struggling to see where he fits in for us as a midfielder.

McGregor is perfect on the left of defensive midfield, allowing Robertson and Tierney to do their thing. Gilmour is clear as day the best deep playmaker we have. So where does McT fit?

Tonight Vs the Faroes he was the weak link in midfield, though the fact Clarke stuck with him and dropped him into the back 3 later on suggests that is where he fits best for us. I don't feel comfortable with playing him there long term, yet equally it seems insane to start any game with him on the bench.

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

He's undoubtedly a high profile and talented player, has done a decent job for us at centre back, and very recently saved our bacon (no offensive pun intended) against Israel... but I'm struggling to see where he fits in for us as a midfielder.

McGregor is perfect on the left of defensive midfield, allowing Robertson and Tierney to do their thing. Gilmour is clear as day the best deep playmaker we have. So where does McT fit?

Tonight Vs the Faroes he was the weak link in midfield, though the fact Clarke stuck with him and dropped him into the back 3 later on suggests that is where he fits best for us. I don't feel comfortable with playing him there long term, yet equally it seems insane to start any game with him on the bench.

Thoughts?

It didn't work tonight with him in midfield, though he got into the right places.  If his shooting/final ball/touch had been there tonight, we'd have run away with it in the first half.

I'm not sure we can read too much into it.  That's a surface no one but the home team is used to. The pitch is clearly both short and narrow to close down spaces (of course that's what you'd do if you were them).

He's was a different player when given the ball and a licence to run from deep.  I'd be happy keeping him at RCB for Moldova, and quite possibly Denmark.  The midfield three of McGinn, Gilmour, and McGregor works really well. I'm not sure there's value to be had in pushing McGinn up further and slotting in McTominay.  I like the idea, but from what we've seen I can't see it being very effective.

The question will undoubtedly be who partners Adams up front, and who we play at RB v Moldova (I assume Patterson given this week's overall performance).  I wouldn't be surprised to see SOD against Denmark given the type of game that is likely to be.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Good question.

In common with most others, he did not have a glorious first half.

However, second half he drove us forward and demonstrated the urgency that wanted the win and the three points - which he continued to do when we basically went back four when Hendry was replaced.

Scott McTominay has mounds of spirit and commitment for this Scotland team - those are qualities that we must appreciate and should not undervalue.

Edited by Barney Rubble

38 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Thoughts?

He won't be going back to the midfield unless we change to a back 4. The 3-5-2 formation just doesn't need a holding midfielder like McTominay.

I think RCB will be his position in our team as long as we are playing back 3. I don't think 3-5-2 should or will be dropped so he stays at RCB.

I've been banging about this for ages, in the current formation he can only really play effectively as a centre-back or as a direct replacement for McGinn in the more advanced role. I don't see a place for him in that deeper two because it simply isn't his game to sit back and break up play and cover for the wing-backs.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've been banging about this for ages, in the current formation he can only really play effectively as a centre-back or as a direct replacement for McGinn in the more advanced role. I don't see a place for him in that deeper two because it simply isn't his game to sit back and break up play and cover for the wing-backs.

Can't see him playing the McGinn role at all tbh.

RCB is his own in this system. I think too many people have a tendency to think that makes him "out of position" purely because he's not a CB for his club, but McTominay is better suited to RCB in a back 3 than anyone else that we have available.

The RCB and LCB in our system aren't ordinary centre halves. They take it in turns to bomb forward along with their wing-back to launch attacks while the opposite wing back and remaining 2 centre-backs tuck in along with Callum McGregor to protect against counter attacks. Most of our attacks come down the left with Robertson and Tierney as the marauders but McTominay and Patterson/SOD do the same thing down the right on occasion.

The only true CB that we have that can play this role is Jack Hendry and his going forward play has paid dividends on some occasions (The Netherlands game in particular) but also cost us the second goal against the Czechs. Overall I much prefer McTominay in this role over any of Hendry, Cooper or McKenna.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Aye, box to box, or advanced mf seems to be his thing. Yet he's been playing the withdrawn midfield role for Man United for ages.

To be honest I don't think he will be at Man United for much longer. They need a proper holding midfielder and are being linked with options in January or next summer, and the more offensive roles are populated by guys like Pogba, Sancho and Greenwood.

He will probably end up somewhere like West Ham, Everton or Wolves. That's not a criticism of him at all but Utd are spending a lot of money to try and get back to winning titles and it feels like McTominay may be a smidgeon short of what's needed there.

To be honest I don't think he will be at Man United for much longer. They need a proper holding midfielder and are being linked with options in January or next summer, and the more offensive roles are populated by guys like Pogba, Sancho and Greenwood.

He will probably end up somewhere like West Ham, Everton or Wolves. That's not a criticism of him at all but Utd are spending a lot of money to try and get back to winning titles and it feels like McTominay may be a smidgeon short of what's needed there.
I can see that happening, though I've been surprised by how many times he's started with pogba on the bench

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:
5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I can see that happening, though I've been surprised by how many times he's started with pogba on the bench

Pogba is a bit of an enigma because he spends half the season looking like a world beater and the other half in a royal huff, but Utd fans tend to acknowledge their central midfield as the weakest area of their side and investment is expected to bolster it in the next couple of windows.

I hope McTominay makes the move so that he's playing week in, week out.

26 minutes ago, Donathan said:

He's loved by the Man Utd management (Solskjaer and previously Mourinho who craeted an award for him), one of those role players who might not look spectacular but he will start most of their games including their biggest games.

Fred is a weaker link at CM. If he was ever to leave he would go to a bigger club (likely on the continent) than those mentioned above (if he so desired).

The most likely outcome is that he will stay at Man Utd. I think him and Dykes are similar in that their growth rates have been pretty strasopheric over the last few years - and they may have more space to grow into that many others their age.

15 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think lots of people want to see McTominay in midfield and Hendry in defence particularly as Hendry plays more champions league matches so when will that question go away? It will go away when Gilmour can defend or McTominay can play on the left or we play four midfielders. I said in September that it took away the problem during the september round of games when McTominay was injured.

15 hours ago, 2426255 said:

There are hundreds of examples where the best players don't make the best team and a midfield of Gilmour, McTominay and McGinn could be worse than Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn 

16 hours ago, 2426255 said:

So how would you get McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn into midfield? I don't think you can yet unless Gilmour improves defensively or McTominay plays where he did against Luxembourg or you do something like play a diamond in the midfield which would probably mean going to a back four so it's a big deal to the way we are set up. Until that is resolved we will get the same questions around Hendry, McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour and our shape.

People don't want to hear it, but it's a valid point and in fact a central issue in our team and it revolves partly around Billy Gilmour.

15 hours ago, eez-eh said:

This guy is so desperate to appear more intelligent than everyone else that he’s trying to paint having too many quality players fighting for a midfield spot as a bad thing.

I told you daftys, but you just didn't want to listen did you? Robertson and Tierney didn't combine down the left and that's because of the issues centring around changes in the midfield that affect the rest of the team. 

36 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I told you daftys, but you just didn't want to listen did you? Robertson and Tierney didn't combine down the left and that's because of the issues centring around changes in the midfield that affect the rest of the team. 

I honestly think you have severe mental health problems mate.  

You are clearly depressed to the length that you are prepared to do/say anything to get the attention of fellow posters on here. 

I'm assuming that you struggle to maintain any type of relationship in the real world that you have to go on social media to interact with people?

Maybe you should instead go out for a walk, or join a club to try and make real friends who you can interact with on a face to face basis. 

Life doesn't have to be about trying to get a reaction from complete strangers on social media. If that is indeed your 'life' then that's probably you are so confrontational.  

Good luck with your future as you would actually be a good informative poster if you stopped with the attention seeking. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

You’re a fucking whopper.

About the half the forum expressed doubts over a midfield two of McTominay and Gilmour defensively. You’re not a tactical genius m8.

51 minutes ago, Derryboy62 said:

I honestly think you have severe mental health problems mate.  

What? 😂 how can you tell over a forum?

17 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You’re a fucking whopper.

About the half the forum expressed doubts over a midfield two of McTominay and Gilmour defensively. You’re not a tactical genius m8.

Why are you so angry?