Scott McTominay

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The rumour is that if he plays another game for Motherwell that would trigger an automatic contract extension. His deal is up at the end of the season and he wants to move. Therefore there is speculation that the "muscle injury" is just Motherwell putting a bit of spin on it.

I get people have different outlooks on life but if there's any truth to this then Gallagher is a complete fanny. Literally passing up playing International finals because he doesn't like the prospect of another year at Motherwell. If he went to the Euros and smashed it, does he really think Motherwell are going to stand in his way? Motherwell can cash in or let him run down his year, they're going to cash in. Utter madness from Gallagher if true.

On 04/02/2021 at 12:46, Merkland Red said:

Could you show your working regarding 'been exposed as average in the English Championship'?

His defensive stats at Aberdeen were brilliant. Forrest fans to a man seem to think he'll be off in the summer if they don't win promotion.

Win promotion. 🤣

Behave. I'm a Forest fan (of sorts) and this season is frankly about staying out of the bottom three. McKenna's done ok. He's an improvement but he's not been sensational. I don't think he's good enough for the Premiership at the moment.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Win promotion. 🤣

Behave. I'm a Forest fan (of sorts) and this season is frankly about staying out of the bottom three. McKenna's done ok. He's an improvement but he's not been sensational. I don't think he's good enough for the Premiership at the moment.

Those were literally the words on the Forrest forum I had a look at.

Basically they were worried about having him for next season.

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Those were literally the words on the Forrest forum I had a look at.

Basically they were worried about having him for next season.

It's understandable after the loss of Matty Cash because of last year's late season capitulation. I don't think McKenna's at that level or anywhere near it yet though. Which isn't to say he won't go of course, but he's hardly irreplaceable. He's done ok. I think most Forest fans would be more concerned about losing Worrall than McKenna and Worrall's far from the finished article too.

No Forest fan I've seen on any forum in the last few months is talking about "winning promotion". We're sitting 19th (would be 20th but for Sheffield Wednesday's points deduction), 3 points off relegation, 13 points away from a promotion playoff and 22 points away from top 2 with 19 games to go.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's understandable after the loss of Matty Cash because of last year's late season capitulation. I don't think McKenna's at that level or anywhere near it yet though. Which isn't to say he won't go of course, but he's hardly irreplaceable. He's done ok. I think most Forest fans would be more concerned about losing Worrall than McKenna and Worrall's far from the finished article too.

No Forest fan I've seen on any forum in the last few months is talking about "winning promotion". We're sitting 19th (would be 20th but for Sheffield Wednesday's points deduction), 3 points off relegation, 13 points away from a promotion playoff and 22 points away from top 2 with 19 games to go.

Apologies. It was if you don't go up next season. 👍

https://www.forestforum.co.uk/threads/48019-Scott-McKenna/page24?s=e771854efa4ccba9bb86466674343980

One of the best midfielders in the Premier League on current form, has come on leaps and bounds even since November. Would be a bit of a waste to play him out of position.

When was the last time we had an English born player playing for us, who would actually get a game for England had they chosen to play for them?

Edited by Fratelli

1 minute ago, Fratelli said:

One of the best midfielders in the Premier League on current form, has come on leaps and bounds even since November. Would be a bit of a waste to play him out of position.

When was the last time we had an English born player playing for us, who would actually get a game for England had they chose to play for them?

He's become a man u match winner

He should be first name in midfield slots over anyone else

If mctominay doesn't start as our centre mid then Clarke needs to be sectioned. He's been absolutely class this season. Gone up a few levels since last year. 

A midfield of Jack, mctominay, mcginn and armstrong/fraser behind the striker would give most sides issues. 

When was the last time we had an English born player playing for us, who would actually get a game for England had they chosen to play for them?
Stuart McCall

Just now, Andre Drazen said:

People still wanting Clarke to completely forget the clean sheets I see.

Clean sheets are far more important in knock out tournaments than anything else.

McTominay stays at CB until we find a guy who can progress the ball like him. Take him out and everything falls apart.

10 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

People still wanting Clarke to completely forget the clean sheets I see.

No but given how difficult we also find it to score, I think it’s an interesting quandary. Of course clean sheets are important but so is scoring, McTominay can make a huge difference to that. I’m just glad I’m not Clarke and having to make those decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

No but given how difficult we also find it to score, I think it’s an interesting quandary. Of course clean sheets are important but so is scoring, McTominay can make a huge difference to that. I’m just glad I’m not Clarke and having to make those decisions. 

We were a complete f**k up defensively. He's helped to stop that. It's not a hard decision at all.

9 minutes ago, Devo said:

The system has done that, not McTominay. He personally has cost us two goals in the four or so games he's played there.

Its not like he'd be a massive loss at the back if the right replacement can be found, he's a bigger loss in midfield.

The outside centre back roles are far more important to the Scotland team than the two midfield roles that Jack or McGregor fulfill.

The outside CB's contribute significantly in build-up play and are key to giving the wing-backs freedom to get forward, which given that's one of our best players, is pretty important. They're how we get the ball from front to back, and they need to be able to pick Dykes out with the long ball We also have the option to send them forward as well if the game state / opposition dictates that we can. That's in addition to their role in defence where they have to be able to deal with whatever comes their way - whether that's a traditional target man No. 9, a "hybrid forward" like Salah/Mane or whatever.

Jack and McGregor are largely there to plug gaps, track midfield runners and progress the ball as a secondary option when the outside CB's can't get it done. Their primary role is defensive, ensuring that Declan Gallagher doesn't have to deal with a ball that's below his waist. Most of their work is done off-the-ball. If they turn the ball over occasionally too then great.

The outside CB roles are hard to fill because they require a much broader skillset. There's a reason Clarke has put two of our best players there. The centre midfield positions are significantly less difficult to fill, especially given the number of midfielders we have.

The other midfielder, McGinn, plays further forward and we have a myriad of options for that role. All of them better than McTominay going forward.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

The other midfielder, McGinn, plays further forward and we have a myriad of options for that role. All of them better than McTominay going forward.

Contentious suggestion on the face of it, so let’s have a look at goals scored for their clubs this season by current Scotland internationals playing in midfield or in attack.

Scott McTominay EPL 4, F.A. Cup 2, EFL Cup 1 Total 7

Callum Paterson EFL Championship 6, FA Cup 1 Total 7

Leigh Griffiths Scottish Premiership 5, Europa League 1, Total 6

Lyndon Dykes EFL Championship 5 (4 pens) Total 5

Lawrence Shankland Scottish Premiership 5 Total 5

Callum McGregor Scottish Premiership 3, Europa League 1 Total 4 

Ryan Christie Scottish Premiership 3, Champions League 1 Total 4

Stuart Armstrong EPL 3 Total 3

Ryan Fraser EPL 1, EFL Cup 1 Total 2

James Forrest Scottish Premiership 2 Total 2

Oliver Burke EPL 1 FA Cup 1 Total 2

Kenny McLean EFL Championship 1, FA Cup 1 Total 2

Ryan Jack Scottish Premiership 1 Total 1

John McGinn EPL 1 Total 1

Oil McBurnie EPL 1 Total 1

John Fleck Total 0

These stats hardly suggest that McTominay is the least effective Scots midfielder of the available options going forward. In fact, they suggest the opposite, and given the level he is playing at, on current form he’s clearly the most effective attacking option we have amongst the midfielders at our disposal, at least in terms of goal threat. 

McTominay has 4 of the 11 goals scored by Scots players playing in midfield or forward positions in the EPL this season. Stuart Armstrong is next on 3, with the other 4 shared one apiece by Burke, McGinn, McBurnie and Fraser. If we include defenders, it’s 4 from 14 - Tierney, Robertson and Cooper have each scored 1 in in EPL this season (none in other comps).

Footnote: Players on the fringes who have yet to play for the Scottish National side:

Kevin Nisbet Scottish Premiership 11, League Cup 2 Total 13

David Turnbull Scottish Premiership 6 (1 for Motherwell), Europa League 1 Total 7

Billy Gilmour Total 0 (albeit only from 6 appearances in all comps)

Edited by Frankie S

There are people mistaking McTominay going on a hot streak (very likely) with him suddenly having developed an eye for goal and finishing ability (very unlikely).

It's definitely a hot streak. He's overperforming his xG by a ridiculous amount at the moment. He hasn't just suddenly turned into a guy with the ability to play in the hole.

You don't have to be Beckenbauer to play long balls, but you do have to be a pretty good passer when you're trying to find a guy who will be double-marked very often. You need to make good decisions and know where to go with the ball.

My theory is that this system was originally designed for two reasons: 1) to accomodate two of our better players, and 2) to protect the weakest area of the team (CB). Declan Gallagher would look every inch a Motherwell player if the whole setup wasn't geared around helping him out.

If you don't have the ball very often, then it's even more important to pick players in key positions that are good on it. Efficiency becomes very important.