Scott McTominay

14 hours ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Tonight is the first time I have seen Harry Souttar play. His awful clearance led to the second Spurs goal. Fair enough he is up against a good team but he also gave away the ball for what should have been a goal by Son (wrongly flagged offside), then Harry Kane skipped passed him with ease for his goal. He hasn't looked comfortable at all on the ball. Just a bad night?

Aye he was howling.  Perfectly comfortable on the ball though, range of passing probably the best Stoke have.  

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I've only seen him once this season against Brentford but I thought Harry Souttar looked very, very decent. 

So did Steven Fletcher in the target man role though. 

Aye, he was horrific last night. Worst I've ever seen him, genuinely nearly sold four goals.  But usually he's pretty good. 

On 23/12/2020 at 22:38, KingRocketman II said:

if it directly leads to a goal ie intercepted pass, short with a pass back, conceding a free-kick which leads to a goal (direct shot not a cross), or conceding a successfully converted penalty, is that really too subjective? hope I don't seem as being belligerent, just genuinely interested. 

Well that first bit comes under "ball losses", but it only shows me if that ball loss ended with a shot, not a goal. To find out for goals I'd have to go through every ball loss for every player (170+ players) to factor that in...

Guess someone could create a "negative assist" type figure that scores player who directly influence a goal, but you'd miss the folk who get caught of position regularly etc., too.

Impossible for stats to give you anywhere close to a full picture about a player.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-scott-mctominay-captain-19616628?fbclid=IwAR3ZnL61mR3VRFHQ-qwCFoMD2bJBcZRiYi-C_GWaRZMjqZzAyRUihQ1FstI

Really good interview here with some of the coaches that worked with him as a youngster at United. Absolutely showering him with praise.

32 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-scott-mctominay-captain-19616628?fbclid=IwAR3ZnL61mR3VRFHQ-qwCFoMD2bJBcZRiYi-C_GWaRZMjqZzAyRUihQ1FstI

Really good interview here with some of the coaches that worked with him as a youngster at United. Absolutely showering him with praise.

He's quality, and developing into a top player. Also hugely committed to Scotland, it was always going to be Scotland for him. Top lad, delighted to have him. Probably captain us at one point.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Darren fletcher never really had this in his locker.

Yeah but Fletcher was a fuckin class player like who is hugely underrated by the Tartan Army. 

I think we have been so shite for so long we sometimes don't realise how good our good players are. Fletcher for a long time would have walked into pretty much any team in the world with the exception of Spain and Barcelona. McTominay is in that position now, he would stroll into the Juventus team or PSG or Bayern anybody. 

Well squad, the top sides need squads but they'd all bite your hand off for him.  I'm not saying team to argue all day about whether he's better than a particular player they have, the point remains.

On 18/01/2021 at 11:26, gannonball said:

Darren fletcher never really had this in his locker.

Fletcher played the water carrier role at Man Utd. Tremendously hard worker and first name on the team sheet for big games. His job was to win the ball and give it to the more creative players. He was also brilliant playing from box to box.

A large percentage of Scotland supporters expected him to suddenly  turn in to a playmaker for Scotland because he plays for Man Utd. Clowns.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Fletcher played the water carrier role at Man Utd. Tremendously hard worker and first name on the team sheet for big games. His job was to win the ball and give it to the more creative players. He was also brilliant playing from box to box.

A large percentage of Scotland supporters expected him to suddenly  turn in to a playmaker for Scotland because he plays for Man Utd. Clowns.

All opinions but My frustration was that he didn’t play his simpler game that he did at Man U and often attempted to play balls that weren’t really in his locker as if he was Paul Scholes and give away possession. I don't think it was an ego thing though just perhaps trying to be the guy that does everything as he didn't have those type players often beside him.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

All opinions but My frustration was that he didn’t play his simpler game that he did at Man U and often attempted to play balls that weren’t really in his locker as if he was Paul Scholes and give away possession. I don't think it was an ego thing though just perhaps trying to be the guy that does everything as he didn't have those type players often beside him.

That is probably fair. If he's playing CM with Brown then it probably should be him taking the onus.

the alternative being if you need both of them to play then you change your system to suit.

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Don't really agree.  Said it at the time and stand by it, he was the best passer of a ball at Man Utd.  World class passer of a football.